Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Lmao I'm going to need a list of "approved sources" from this group going forward.

Having a bad take (it is) has zero to do with relaying information from a source. There is no correlation what so ever.

"My opinion is {blank}"

"My friend told me {blank}"

Someone that goes on the air and says George Kittle isn't a good blocker is talking without any basis for that claim. Why would I trust someone's reporting that openly lies. Because it's not a take to say Kittle is a bad blocker, it's objectively wrong. 

You have a real problem where you only post sources that fit your narrative. Here's a source, Peter Schrager (who's as plugged in with the Rams as anyone) says the Lions wanted Goff. Why would the Lions (who have several Rams has key decision makers) want Goff if he has a poor work ethic, poor football IQ, and poor accountability? It doesn't make any sense. 

So what we have are 2 sources that both can't be right. Why does it surprise me that you'll believe what Gottlieb says? 

Edit: Suh has said Goff is the best QB he's ever played with (before Brady FWIW). I guess Stafford has a poor work ethic too!

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Someone that goes on the air and says George Kittle isn't a good blocker is talking without any basis for that claim. Why would I trust someone's reporting that openly lies. Because it's not a take to say Kittle is a bad blocker, it's objectively wrong. 

You have a real problem where you only post sources that fit your narrative. Here's a source, Peter Schrager (who's as plugged in with the Rams as anyone) says the Lions wanted Goff. Why would the Lions (who have several Rams has key decision makers) want Goff if he has a poor work ethic, poor football IQ, and poor accountability? It doesn't make any sense. 

So what we have are 2 sources that both can't be right. Why does it surprise me that you'll believe what Gottlieb says? 

I certainly believe the Lions wanted Goff. He fits perfectly what they are trying to do in that organization. So yes, I agree with Schrager when it does not "fit my narrative". Shocking, right?

And the Lions would want him because he comes with two 1sts and a 3rd attached to him. I have a coach on a 6 year deal and a Front Office supporting a long term rebuild. In comes Jared Goff who at worst, can be a stop gap for 2 years until we find our franchise guy and at best can get them to 9-10 wins. He will likely come in motivated after just being traded so the "poor work ethic, poor accountability" HAS to go out of the window or his career is done. If you're the Lions, you can't lose. See how both can be true?

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I certainly believe the Lions wanted Goff. He fits perfectly what they are trying to do in that organization. So yes, I agree with Schrager when it does not "fit my narrative". Shocking, right?

And the Lions would want him because he comes with two 1sts and a 3rd attached to him. I have a coach on a 6 year deal and a Front Office supporting a long term rebuild. In comes Jared Goff who at worst, can be a stop gap for 2 years until we find our franchise guy and at best can get them to 9-10 wins. He will likely come in motivated after just being traded so the "poor work ethic, poor accountability" HAS to go out of the window or his career is done. If you're the Lions, you can't lose. See how both can be true?

The Lions are trying to change a culture of losing and they want a QB with no accountability and work ethic? Yeah, that should work. 

But again, Suh said Goff is the best QB he's ever played with. That's a good source. Guess it means Stafford sux

Edited by LeotheLion

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The Lions are trying to change a culture of losing and they want a QB with no accountability and work ethic? Yeah, that should work. 

But again, Suh said Goff is the best QB he's ever played with. That's a good source. Guess it means Stafford sux

So Brady also sux ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Or he's trying to get a deal with the Lions after this season and retire in Detroit? The guys played with Tom Brady FFS lmao come on man

They also wanted to change the perception of the organization and do right by Matt Stafford after the Barry Sanders/Calvin Johnson mishandling. This was a deal that worked for all parties, but it's very easy to see on many levels why Detroit would want this( good PR, picks, stop gap QB).

Edited by BStanRamFan

40 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Someone discrediting something they don't like hearing on this forum, why would I roll my eyes? 

1. The Rams left little bread crumbs all season with their language on Goff starting with the SF loss at home to Nick Mullens. It was the first time McVay held Goff accountable in the public. He needed to show the lockerroom everyone will be held accountable regardless of status or salary. I think Snead could have handled it better than that end of season presser, but "did him dirty" is something I just don't agree with. ( I agree on Warner. That was wrong in hindsight. You never give up on a QB if they win you a SB, but I think people forget how good Bulger looked early on)

2. After the SuperBowl loss, there were rumors that Goff was really starting to feel himself and get into the Hollywood lifestyle. It never materialized into anything substantial, but there were talks he was out late and partying etc. I never cared because what would you expect from the quarterback of the LA Rams? McVay's refusal to give up the reigns is something I never heard before, but I'll actually believe  it(see how that works?). If he did hold back from Goff, he likely did it with the teams best interests in mind.

I agree with you on the harping point and realize I was the one who brought in these tweetsl so my bad there. I just think these bits of information only come out after the fact, which shows how good of an organization we are to keep it all in house. Aaron Donald is going to be on the Ryen Russillo podcast this week and I'm curious if he speaks on the Goff matter. Russillo is a good interviewer and not afraid to ask certain questions. 

Don't expect you to agree (you're the last person to give Goff any credit), but using words like bread crumbs, rumors, and talks won't get you anywhere in my book. I could write up a post about any QB in the NFL feeling himself or going out late and partying, but without any evidence, there could be zero truth to it.

Nothing Goff has shown me the entire time he was with the Rams fits that narrative you're trying to create. The part about Mcvay refusing to give up control is literally just a guess on my part though. I remember Rodgers getting annoyed with his HC taking his freedom away, and while Goff isn't Rodgers, he's getting to the point in his career that he may want that freedom and you can't fault him for that. 

I just have a hard time letting slander on a man's character slide, even a multimillionaire 26 year old kid who's dating a model and will never know I exist. It just isn't right in the event it's all fabricated. Honestly, we'll probably never really know but until we have actual evidence of that being the case, it's just wrong. 

25 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Changing a culture of losing doesn't mean going all out for one season. Campbell said it himself: they want to win, but not at the cost of building a team that can be competitive for years to come. If 2021 was their only concern, they would have taken a package with a high 2021 pick.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the time that Arians when he was with the Cards went and got at the time the 34yr old QB Palmer who wasnt particularly winning in Oakland and wasnt particularly winning in Cincy. We know both those organizations were and still is a joke. I think Oakland is getting better but they still have a long ways to go before I can I seriously say they are starting to be a good organization.

Anyways, Palmer goes to the Cards and his first 3 seasons his record was (29-9). Now in 2014 he only played 6 games because he got hurt but he was (6-0) in those games. The Cards went (10-6) his first season, (11-5) and made the playoffs in his second season despite him only playing six games, and in his third season coming off injury the Cards went (13-3) and made it to the NFCCG. In Palmer third season he had over 4,600yds passing, 35tds/11ints and made the pro bowl. He was 36yrs old. So this notion that Stafford wont win with the Rams because he hasnt been a winner with the Lions. We need to look at Palmer as the example. He won immediately when he got with Arians and the Cards who was a better team and organization than the Raiders and Bengals which Palmer had left. Now I know how it ended for Palmer when he was 37 and 38yrs old. Guess what? After two seasons the Rams will have their 1st round picks and at 35yrs old if Stafford starts to drastically regress like Palmer did after three seasons then the Rams can just move on from Stafford if they want to. I depends though on when they give him an extension and how its constructed. I think though Stafford is in a better position going to the Rams than Palmer was going to do the Cards and again Palmer first three seasons he went (29-9) in games played. The Cards went (10-6), (11-5), and (13-3) in those seasons and Palmer took them to the NFCCG at age 36 and had his best season of his career. Even at age 37 Palmer threw for over 4200yds and 26tds. The team wasnt very good. They went (6-8-1). So yeah anyone concerned about Stafford age and his inability to win in Detroit need to look at Palmer going from Oakland to Arizona and linked up with Arians in that offense and how he thrived immediately. Again I think Stafford is going to thrive immediately with McVay in LA with the Rams. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Don't expect you to agree (you're the last person to give Goff any credit), but using words like bread crumbs, rumors, and talks won't get you anywhere in my book. I could write up a post about any QB in the NFL feeling himself or going out late and partying, but without any evidence, there could be zero truth to it.

Nothing Goff has shown me the entire time he was with the Rams fits that narrative you're trying to create. The part about Mcvay refusing to give up control is literally just a guess on my part though. I remember Rodgers getting annoyed with his HC taking his freedom away, and while Goff isn't Rodgers, he's getting to the point in his career that he may want that freedom and you can't fault him for that. 

I just have a hard time letting slander on a man's character slide, even a multimillionaire 26 year old kid who's dating a model and will never know I exist. It just isn't right in the event it's all fabricated. Honestly, we'll probably never really know but until we have actual evidence of that being the case, it's just wrong. 

I called him tough for the playoffs, I said he played well vs GB and mistake free vs SEA, I think he's a good kid and actually said I can't see any work ethic issues with his father already being a professional athlete so there is pressure and expectations, but he just doesn't have it between the ears. I'm out on Goff. Some are not. It's really not that big of a deal. My patience ran out quicker than others with him.

I'm not creating a narrative. Rams losing trust and confidence in Goff what is being reported by multiple sources and media outlets. I'm just one of the few on this board that has sided with the media and reports and therefore, I'm creating a narrative. My dad, uncle and cousin all life long Rams fans are out on Goff. Most of Rams twitter, out on Goff. The media has been out on Goff since before this season started. So let's scale back the "I'm creating a narrative" when it's widely accepted outside of 5 posters on this forum. And honestly, we could see a video of Jared  Goff stumbling drunk out of a club holding a newspaper with a Saturday December 19th, 2020 date on it and people would still find a way to not believe it. 

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Changing a culture of losing doesn't mean going all out for one season. Campbell said it himself: they want to win, but not at the cost of building a team that can be competitive for years to come. If 2021 was their only concern, they would have taken a package with a high 2021 pick.

I get that. I fully expect the Lions to be a 3-7 win team next year. But building a culture of winning starts with getting the right guys in the building that are buying in to the coach's vision. A starting QB with those character traits doesn't fit that model. Especially because the Lions are correctly taking a long-term approach to building a winner. That means the guys in the locker room need to be mentally tough since the winning isn't going to happen overnight. 

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I get that. I fully expect the Lions to be a 3-7 win team next year. But building a culture of winning starts with getting the right guys in the building that are buying in to the coach's vision. A starting QB with those character traits doesn't fit that model. Especially because the Lions are correctly taking a long-term approach to building a winner. That means the guys in the locker room need to be mentally tough since the winning isn't going to happen overnight. 

Are you suggesting that Goff is a cancer?

27 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Are you suggesting that Goff is a cancer?

He's not at all. I'm the anti-Goff guy on this board and I'm not at all. I shared a report from Doug Gottlieb that his sources claimed Goff lacked motivation/accountability last season. I think it's certainly possible, but it could just be he became complacent with his contract extension kicking in and thinking he was unmovable. In no way is Jared Goff a cancer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He's not at all. I'm the anti-Goff guy on this board and I'm not at all. I shared a report from Doug Gottlieb that his sources claimed Goff lacked motivation/accountability last season. I think it's certainly possible, but it could just be he became complacent with his contract extension kicking in and thinking he was unmovable. In no way is Jared Goff a cancer. 

Which sounds reasonable.

This whole "Goff isn't the right person to have in the locker room for a rebuilding team" thing sounds pretty... iffy. Just because a player has a lull in his career doesn't mean he'll stunt the growth/development of a team, or that he can't recover those things with a change of scenery.

I'll have to believe that Holmes doesn't think Goff is the wrong person to have in the locker room.