Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

I like Goff but I cannot understand the people who dont think this is a home run trade. Staffords arm in this offense will be amazing.  He can hit so many throws that Goff would never even attempt. Bringing him in and pairing him with Mcvay is going to change his career.

• Like 3

Tbh there is more verified information coming out from Jared Goff right now than the Rams. He has a direct line to Silver and Silver loves him. And I have no issues with that either. He's hurt. He's human. Let it out then go work your *** off. The best revenge is success.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

👆 This exactly.

McVay shouldered the blame for Goff for the last 4 seasons (and Gurley too). He spoke out once after the SF game, but I think we would all agree there's nothing wrong with telling your QB to protect the ball more.

The Gottlieb thing got pushed back on this board as likely "not true" or "not buying it" and now, if I'm understanding correctly, it's being used as direct words from Snead/McVay (hope I'm wrong there). 

I think there is a zero percent chance Gottlieb's source is McVay or Snead.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Hey bro, no offense, but I really don’t care if people on a forum are going to believe me or not. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m a Rams fan before a McVay, Goff, Snead, etc fan. 

Everything I say can be welcomed with skepticism or even people thinking it’s a flat out lie. It doesn’t bother me one bit. 

Just wanted to share what a player on the team who’s close to Goff said. I respect Goff as a person. My intention is not here to slander that kid. I wish him the best and I will be rooting for him in Detroit. my intention was to solely share info on a forum with fellow fans who’d like to know behind the scenes (not saying everything i said is true)

I tried to do some sleuth work but our pages got purged lol

I remember someone posting in *year redacted to not give hints* about if their friend had a chance to make the team... was that you? Hahahaha I remember the player but don't want to give away your source just in case lol

15 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

So report is Goff is unsure when the Rams soured on him stating thats the tough part. 

I think the Rams soured on him when he didnt deliver in the Superbowl and didnt get better afterwards. Like I dont fully hold him accountable for the Superbowl loss. McVay looked bad too. Gurley wasnt himself to be the main engine for the offense. Kupp was hurt which is Goff favorite target. Cooks didnt make the big catch in the endzone that wouldve tied the game up and then who knows what happens from there. So there was alot of moving parts as to why the offense laid an egg in the Superbowl. Plus Belichick is a defensive genius so he had a great plan for the Rams and it worked.

The issue is how did Goff respond after that horrible showing in the Superbowl? He definitely didnt progress. He had 2yrs and while he wasnt as bad as most made him out to be because he did win 18 games after the Superbowl loss which is 7th most among QB's in that span. He just didnt get back to that level he was at in 2018 before the Superbowl. I felt like McVay was looking at Goff saying you had to have the motivation to get back to the Superbowl and win. Be the best version of yourself. Where was that "not afraid to fail" mindset that he had in 2018? Remember that Seattle game where he went for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th Q and got it then he showed his emotion in front of all the Seahawks fans? Like where was that Goff after the Superbowl loss? So McVay thought that Goff turned into the type of QB he didnt want running his offense because truly he couldnt at least not on a consistent level. He would have a game or a stretch in a game but not consistently like he was having in 2018 before that Superbowl loss.

I can't believe you are writing this after defending numerous times that Goff was progressing this year.

6 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

I like Goff but I cannot understand the people who dont think this is a home run trade. Staffords arm in this offense will be amazing.  He can hit so many throws that Goff would never even attempt. Bringing him in and pairing him with Mcvay is going to change his career.

Here's what I put in the other thread that I feel like summed it up pretty well (in reference to a Lions fan explaining how Stafford went through the same career progression Goff has).

"We are two years removed from the Superbowl and two seasons where Goff looked great. He's about to go into his age 27 season, and the team gave up him just like that. It has nothing to do with not liking Stafford (at least from my opinion), but I just feel like we gave up on Goff too early to see if he could take that step forward, and got rid of a ton of capital along with him."

Bottom line is we didn't give Goff the chance to work through it like the Lions did with Stafford and pulled the plug at the first sign of adversity, while losing a ton of capital along with it. Now the trade is what it is, and Stafford will do great here as well, but it was an emotional trade and the way they treated Goff toward the end (ie how he felt something was wrong but no one would talk to him about it and questioning his work ethic publicly) was disrespectful. Even if you are a fan of the trade, saying that trade a starting QB, two 1sts, a 3rd, and losing 8M in cap for a really good but not elite QB is in no way a home run trade. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Here's what I put in the other thread that I feel like summed it up pretty well (in reference to a Lions fan explaining how Stafford went through the same career progression Goff has).

"We are two years removed from the Superbowl and two seasons where Goff looked great. He's about to go into his age 27 season, and the team gave up him just like that. It has nothing to do with not liking Stafford (at least from my opinion), but I just feel like we gave up on Goff too early to see if he could take that step forward, and got rid of a ton of capital along with him."

Bottom line is we didn't give Goff the chance to work through it like the Lions did with Stafford and pulled the plug at the first sign of adversity, while losing a ton of capital along with it. Now the trade is what it is, and Stafford will do great here as well, but it was an emotional trade and the way they treated Goff toward the end (ie how he felt something was wrong but no one would talk to him about it and questioning his work ethic publicly) was disrespectful. Even if you are a fan of the trade, saying that trade a starting QB, two 1sts, a 3rd, and losing 8M in cap for a really good but not elite QB is in no way a home run trade. 

Do you think Stafford is really good with the Lions because its the Lions organization? Like think about if Mahomes went to the Jets? Mahomes has an elite skill set that paired with Reid offensive mind and system plus all the weapons he has on offense it makes Mahomes easily top tier. If Mahomes was with the Jets where they have the oldest back in the NFL in Gore as their starter, a horrible defense, no weapons on offense and a coach that literally first interview he looked high. Gase never did anything period. You think Mahomes would be elite? I think he would be really good but not elite.

So you look at Stafford and listening to his peers and people that study the game say Stafford can make throws that only Mahomes and ARod can make. ARod raved about Stafford making those no look passes Mahomes can make. We get that with Stafford. We get all those arm angle throws that will make a broken play that Goff wouldve taken a sack, turned it over, or missed Stafford will complete it and we will go WOW! Pairing Stafford with Sean McVay is in essence pairing Mahomes with Any Reid, Brees with Sean Payton, ARod with Matt LaFleur, Ryan with Kyle Shannahan imo. The reason I say that is because you get an elite talent in Stafford, a great offensive mind in McVay, everyone constantly says how the OL statistically was good in terms of pass and run blocking so Stafford has a solid to good OL according to stats, he has a top 10 run game, and weapons in the passing game. Probably will get his deep threat Marvin Jones to come over so thats a plus. Then we know Stafford is tough as nails and can even play through injuries very well. I even mentioned when Carson Palmer came over from Oakland to pair with Bruce Arians in Arizona and the success he immediately had through the first three seasons from age 34 to really age 36. 

So honestly yes one can say the Rams gave up on Goff too soon. I believe in Goff but if McVay thought Goff reached his peak within the offense despite McVay doing all he can to evolve the offense from 11 personnel to 12 personnel. From zone blocking to power physical blocking. If McVay thought Goff just couldnt consistently do it at a high level anymore within the offense and thus moving on to a pure elite talent in Stafford that can then I dont fault him for that. Reid moved on from Smith to Mahomes. When Payton got to the Saints even though Brooks actually won the Saints first ever playoff game, they moved off from him and went with Brees whom I dont think won a playoff game and he had uncertainty surrounding a serious injury. Kyle is fixing to move off of Jimmy G. When Warner retired, Arians couldve went in any direction but he moved towards Palmer in Arizona. In Tampa Bay he moved off of WInston and moved towards Brady who is 43. Like these offensive minds who know what they are doing move off QBs and move towards specific QBs for a reason. Its not like the Browns going through coach after coach and QB after QB HOPING they hit. Yes after feel like forever it seems like the Browns finally got it right with Stefanski and Mayfield. Again I trust McVay knows what he is doing with moving off of Goff and moving on to Stafford and we will see great success in these next handful of seasons and this trade will be absolutely worth it. 

• Like 1

Starting to re watch every lions game this last season. Finished week 1 vs the bears.. Stafford probably had 2 balls I didn’t like and one of those was tipped and picked off. They moved the ball pretty well all game and were up 23-6 until eventually it was 27-23 and stafford lead a beautiful comeback drive and had the game winner dropped by swift in the end zone. Forgot that even happened and actually saved me in fantasy week 1 😂 I’m excited to re watch this and probably a few other seasons of his. Thanks to Covid I don’t have much to do so.. why not lol 

weird idea but does anyone want to start a discussion and go game by game with me? Almost like a game day thread but we can watch a game per day/week and analyze the QB play. I have game pass so that helps. Without that I’m not sure how y’all would be able to watch them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Do you think Stafford is really good with the Lions because its the Lions organization? Like think about if Mahomes went to the Jets? Mahomes has an elite skill set that paired with Reid offensive mind and system plus all the weapons he has on offense it makes Mahomes easily top tier. If Mahomes was with the Jets where they have the oldest back in the NFL in Gore as their starter, a horrible defense, no weapons on offense and a coach that literally first interview he looked high. Gase never did anything period. You think Mahomes would be elite? I think he would be really good but not elite.

So you look at Stafford and listening to his peers and people that study the game say Stafford can make throws that only Mahomes and ARod can make. ARod raved about Stafford making those no look passes Mahomes can make. We get that with Stafford. We get all those arm angle throws that will make a broken play that Goff wouldve taken a sack, turned it over, or missed Stafford will complete it and we will go WOW! Pairing Stafford with Sean McVay is in essence pairing Mahomes with Any Reid, Brees with Sean Payton, ARod with Matt LaFleur, Ryan with Kyle Shannahan imo. The reason I say that is because you get an elite talent in Stafford, a great offensive mind in McVay, everyone constantly says how the OL statistically was good in terms of pass and run blocking so Stafford has a solid to good OL according to stats, he has a top 10 run game, and weapons in the passing game. Probably will get his deep threat Marvin Jones to come over so thats a plus. Then we know Stafford is tough as nails and can even play through injuries very well. I even mentioned when Carson Palmer came over from Oakland to pair with Bruce Arians in Arizona and the success he immediately had through the first three seasons from age 34 to really age 36. 

So honestly yes one can say the Rams gave up on Goff too soon. I believe in Goff but if McVay thought Goff reached his peak within the offense despite McVay doing all he can to evolve the offense from 11 personnel to 12 personnel. From zone blocking to power physical blocking. If McVay thought Goff just couldnt consistently do it at a high level anymore within the offense and thus moving on to a pure elite talent in Stafford that can then I dont fault him for that. Reid moved on from Smith to Mahomes. When Payton got to the Saints even though Brooks actually won the Saints first ever playoff game, they moved off from him and went with Brees whom I dont think won a playoff game and he had uncertainty surrounding a serious injury. Kyle is fixing to move off of Jimmy G. When Warner retired, Arians couldve went in any direction but he moved towards Palmer in Arizona. In Tampa Bay he moved off of WInston and moved towards Brady who is 43. Like these offensive minds who know what they are doing move off QBs and move towards specific QBs for a reason. Its not like the Browns going through coach after coach and QB after QB HOPING they hit. Yes after feel like forever it seems like the Browns finally got it right with Stefanski and Mayfield. Again I trust McVay knows what he is doing with moving off of Goff and moving on to Stafford and we will see great success in these next handful of seasons and this trade will be absolutely worth it. 

A couple things.

1. The whole "Lions were bad" excuse is getting overused. Same with the "Rams were good" one. Stafford was a big part of the Lions team and Goff was a big part of the Rams team. One shouldn't get a pass for the team being bad while the other doesn't get credit for the team being good when they play the most important position on the field.
2. Yeah Marvin Jones would be awesome, but where are we getting that cap with us already being in the negative, losing an extra 8M, and having plenty of other holes to fill?
3. Yes Stafford is tough as nails. So is Goff, and he's younger. 
4. I never said I didn't like getting Stafford. I actually said the opposite, but we gave up too early on Goff and overpaid to do so. The Lions gave Stafford that chance to develop while the Rams dropped Goff at the first sign of adversity. That part really can't even be argued. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

Starting to re watch every lions game this last season. Finished week 1 vs the bears.

I watched this one. I forgot what point it was in the game but Stafford took a terrible sack that pushed them either out of FG range or set up a long miss. The FG would have made it a 3 possession game. That was my least favorite play Stafford made. 

But he threw that beauty to Swift. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

A couple things.

1. The whole "Lions were bad" excuse is getting overused. Same with the "Rams were good" one. Stafford was a big part of the Lions team and Goff was a big part of the Rams team. One shouldn't get a pass for the team being bad while the other doesn't get credit for the team being good when they play the most important position on the field.
2. Yeah Marvin Jones would be awesome, but where are we getting that cap with us already being in the negative, losing an extra 8M, and having plenty of other holes to fill?
3. Yes Stafford is tough as nails. So is Goff, and he's younger. 
4. I never said I didn't like getting Stafford. I actually said the opposite, but we gave up too early on Goff and overpaid to do so. The Lions gave Stafford that chance to develop while the Rams dropped Goff at the first sign of adversity. That part really can't even be argued. 

The Lions were bad is very reasonable because the organization made a ton of poor choices. The team made the playoffs and had a stretch in what 4 seasons of 36 wins with three of the four seasons winning seasons under Caldwell. He got fired for reasons I have no idea. Then they compound it with hiring Matt Patricia. Even the hire of Dan Campbell raise some eyes because you had Saleh name floating around and they couldve waited for Beineimy of the Chiefs. When you realize that Stafford had to play under OC Jim Bob Cooter. Its like when Goff had to play under Rob Boras. So again its reasonable to say the Lions were bad because the organization just made a ton of poor choices. Nobody is going to even give them the slightest of the benefit of the doubt.

As for the Rams yes we can say the Rams are good. McVay has won what 43 games in his short tenure with the Rams. The Rams have two divisional titles and made the Superbowl. Rams havent had a losing season since McVay got here. Thats with the turnover the Rams have. The most impressive thing to me is that the Rams brought in both Staley DC and O'Connell OC during no real offseason or preseason because of the pandemic and mind you they was replacing alot of pieces on defense plus Wade Phillips who probably should end up in the HOF and the defense got better. McVay made the right choice. So unlike the Lions organization, you tend to give the Rams organization the benefit of the doubt saying yes they are good yes they will continue to make the right moves to be in the mix for contending and yes adding Stafford does make them more of a sure thing than Goff. 

I do get what you are saying about the cap and filling in holes but as I just explained, McVay and this FO office has made it work so far with so much turnover. Remember the second McVay became head coach the turnover on offense and immediately the Rams was the best offense in the league. Again this year the amount of turnover the Rams had on defense and immediately the best defense in the league. So Im going to say the Rams will figure it out to make it work but again no matter what they do the key is QB and they believe as well as so many others and I believe too that Stafford is the guy. 

I do get what you are saying though about giving up on Goff too early but this is a what have you done for me lately league and the Rams cant afford to waste a generational talent in Donald dominating on defense waiting for Goff to eventually figure things out. I dont want him to end up like JJ Watt where his time was wasted because of bad QB after bad QB and when they finally got the QB in Watson they did him badly because of poor FO and coaching decisions like trading away Hopkins and keep hiring the wrong coaches. So now JJ hasnt even been to the Superbowl and on his last legs. Things can escalate quickly in the NFL so strike while the iron is hot. Nothing against Goff because again I like Goff but I trust McVay know what he is doing by moving on from Goff and getting Stafford. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

The Lions were bad is very reasonable because the organization made a ton of poor choices. The team made the playoffs and had a stretch in what 4 seasons of 36 wins with three of the four seasons winning seasons under Caldwell. He got fired for reasons I have no idea. Then they compound it with hiring Matt Patricia. Even the hire of Dan Campbell raise some eyes because you had Saleh name floating around and they couldve waited for Beineimy of the Chiefs. When you realize that Stafford had to play under OC Jim Bob Cooter. Its like when Goff had to play under Rob Boras. So again its reasonable to say the Lions were bad because the organization just made a ton of poor choices. Nobody is going to even give them the slightest of the benefit of the doubt.

As for the Rams yes we can say the Rams are good. McVay has won what 43 games in his short tenure with the Rams. The Rams have two divisional titles and made the Superbowl. Rams havent had a losing season since McVay got here. Thats with the turnover the Rams have. The most impressive thing to me is that the Rams brought in both Staley DC and O'Connell OC during no real offseason or preseason because of the pandemic and mind you they was replacing alot of pieces on defense plus Wade Phillips who probably should end up in the HOF and the defense got better. McVay made the right choice. So unlike the Lions organization, you tend to give the Rams organization the benefit of the doubt saying yes they are good yes they will continue to make the right moves to be in the mix for contending and yes adding Stafford does make them more of a sure thing than Goff. 

I do get what you are saying about the cap and filling in holes but as I just explained, McVay and this FO office has made it work so far with so much turnover. Remember the second McVay became head coach the turnover on offense and immediately the Rams was the best offense in the league. Again this year the amount of turnover the Rams had on defense and immediately the best defense in the league. So Im going to say the Rams will figure it out to make it work but again no matter what they do the key is QB and they believe as well as so many others and I believe too that Stafford is the guy. 

I do get what you are saying though about giving up on Goff too early but this is a what have you done for me lately league and the Rams cant afford to waste a generational talent in Donald dominating on defense waiting for Goff to eventually figure things out. I dont want him to end up like JJ Watt where his time was wasted because of bad QB after bad QB and when they finally got the QB in Watson they did him badly because of poor FO and coaching decisions like trading away Hopkins and keep hiring the wrong coaches. So now JJ hasnt even been to the Superbowl and on his last legs. Things can escalate quickly in the NFL so strike while the iron is hot. Nothing against Goff because again I like Goff but I trust McVay know what he is doing by moving on from Goff and getting Stafford. 

I still don't understand how you can give Stafford a complete pass for the Lions being bad. Yes, they made a lot of really poor decisions, but he was the QB of the team. He has to take some blame, just like Goff has to get some credit for leading his team to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years and barely missing the 4th. 

I still have yet to hear someone explain to me actually how we can fill all of our holes under the cap without hearing the words "Snead can work the cap". I know he's great at it, but explain to me how we are going to have enough money to give Jones the money he will want and still fill the rest of the holes. He's not going to accept the vet minimum just to come to LA. 

I understand what you're saying about win now, which I don't disagree with, but we could've won now with Goff if we addressed the team's issues. All of these other QB (including Stafford) went through what he went through without their team bailing on them and matured into very good QB. Goff said that he always felt something was wrong this year but no one approached him about it. That's not how you treat your QB and expect him to maintain his confidence. 

39 minutes ago, JonStark said:

By this rationale: do you believe that the Lions will have a better record than the Rams next year?

• Like 1