Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

I'd like to know your source to put any legit stock into it (I get why you don't want to announce it), but none of that sounds unreasonable. 

Goff's talent and character is always what I believed in. I know he had his weaknesses, but he has the tools to be great. If his work ethic did indeed slip, then that would make sense, but I still need to hear it for myself. Saying you know someone on the team is nice and all but you have to understand others' skepticism about it. 

Hey bro, no offense, but I really don’t care if people on a forum are going to believe me or not. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m a Rams fan before a McVay, Goff, Snead, etc fan. 

Everything I say can be welcomed with skepticism or even people thinking it’s a flat out lie. It doesn’t bother me one bit. 

Just wanted to share what a player on the team who’s close to Goff said. I respect Goff as a person. My intention is not here to slander that kid. I wish him the best and I will be rooting for him in Detroit. my intention was to solely share info on a forum with fellow fans who’d like to know behind the scenes (not saying everything i said is true)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Just going by memory, but this sounds eerily similar to the problems people had with Stafford circa 2012-2015.

It was rumored Lombardi leaked that Stafford didn't have the drive or football IQ to take the next step.

Of course. And the Jaguars talked endless trash about what a terrible guy Jalen Ramsey was. When you have made a controversial decision, the easiest way to get the fans on your side is to smear the player's character and throw him under the bus.

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I can’t speak on accountability but I know for sure that Goff not being able to read defenses and not working as hard on his craft had a lot to do with it. From what I know, guys and McVay thought he became complacent after they reached the SB. 

McVay actually started having problems with him about his work ethic and lack of putting in work outside of games in 2019 but swept it under the rug  he even changed the offense for him in 2020 to add more quick reads and yac in hopes he would improve but he didn’t. He felt that Goff needed to be an “extension of the coaching staff on the field” but he struggled with reading coverages and didn’t have an overall command on the right OL protection adjustments (Miami game is a good example) 

Some teammates thought he didn’t have the drive to be great. That he was “content” nice contract, playing in LA, model gf...etc (again, not my words) 

before he’d show up before everyone at early in the morning to work at the same time as AD99 but then after the SB he stopped. Allegedly he didn’t watch film as much as he should’ve (this is not confirmed by the source)

according to this player: McVay has a saying that you can’t teach attitude and drive. And ultimately that’s what led to Goff’s departure (he thinks)

Also he thinks Goff did a lot of great things for the community: Inglewood project and countless other things.

Goff was well liked but he thinks Goff could’ve been more respected as a football player 

none of the above words are mine. Again not saying any of this is true because I haven’t seen it with my own eyes so take it for what it’s worth 

Appreciate your insight 

So report is Goff is unsure when the Rams soured on him stating thats the tough part. 

I think the Rams soured on him when he didnt deliver in the Superbowl and didnt get better afterwards. Like I dont fully hold him accountable for the Superbowl loss. McVay looked bad too. Gurley wasnt himself to be the main engine for the offense. Kupp was hurt which is Goff favorite target. Cooks didnt make the big catch in the endzone that wouldve tied the game up and then who knows what happens from there. So there was alot of moving parts as to why the offense laid an egg in the Superbowl. Plus Belichick is a defensive genius so he had a great plan for the Rams and it worked.

The issue is how did Goff respond after that horrible showing in the Superbowl? He definitely didnt progress. He had 2yrs and while he wasnt as bad as most made him out to be because he did win 18 games after the Superbowl loss which is 7th most among QB's in that span. He just didnt get back to that level he was at in 2018 before the Superbowl. I felt like McVay was looking at Goff saying you had to have the motivation to get back to the Superbowl and win. Be the best version of yourself. Where was that "not afraid to fail" mindset that he had in 2018? Remember that Seattle game where he went for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th Q and got it then he showed his emotion in front of all the Seahawks fans? Like where was that Goff after the Superbowl loss? So McVay thought that Goff turned into the type of QB he didnt want running his offense because truly he couldnt at least not on a consistent level. He would have a game or a stretch in a game but not consistently like he was having in 2018 before that Superbowl loss.

Edited by stl4life07

On 2/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, btfd16 said:

Niners rumblings with Kirk... 

Russ

Kyler

Stafford

Kirk

sheesh.

No worries, thats not a real thing. 

We are running with Jimmy if we didn't have any real interest in Stafford. I'd say that maybe we draft a guy, but I'm not sure on that unless we really reach for Mac Jones. 

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I've had this thought initially but I think I've revised my thinking. It is definitely a win on the trade if we win a SB with Stafford. But I'd also consider it a win if the Rams are successful in the 3 or so years with Stafford and we are able to remain relatively competitive in the next life cycle of the team. A loss on the trade will only be if we suck with Stafford or remain competitive with him and then go through a full-rebuild.

McVay himself said this is for a SB win. It's not about getting better it's about winning the SB.

5lsfkg7g4we61.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

No worries, thats not a real thing. 

We are running with Jimmy if we didn't have any real interest in Stafford. I'd say that maybe we draft a guy, but I'm not sure on that unless we really reach for Mac Jones. 

Anybody but Watson and we’re all good here

59 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

McVay himself said this is for a SB win. It's not about getting better it's about winning the SB.

5lsfkg7g4we61.jpg

Obviously that is what's for. I'm just not going to call it a bad trade if we fail to do that but stay a top team and don't completely tank in 3-4 years due to lack of high end picks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Obviously that is what's for. I'm just not going to call it a bad trade if we fail to do that but stay a top team and don't completely tank in 3-4 years due to lack of high end picks. 

It is interesting, and not saying you're one of them, but people who were talking the loudest that it was Goff holding us back after this trade aren't putting any pressure on the Rams and Stafford to win. They claim we were SB contenders with a better QB now all they say is we just have to be better. We were better averaged 11 wins in McVay's first 4 seasons 3 playoffs 1 SB. He's put it all on the line and even said himself it's about the Super Bowl. That's the expectation forget just getting better IMO you have to win it all after this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

It is interesting, and not saying you're one of them, but people who were talking the loudest that it was Goff holding us back after this trade aren't putting any pressure on the Rams and Stafford to win. They claim we were SB contenders with a better QB now all they say is we just have to be better. We were better averaged 11 wins in McVay's first 4 seasons 3 playoffs 1 SB. He's put it all on the line and even said himself it's about the Super Bowl. That's the expectation forget just getting better IMO you have to win it all after this. 

For the record, I don't like the trade. But I don't like it because I think our team isn't going to win the SB with Stafford instead of Goff and I think we are sacrificing long-term flexibility for what I perceive a longshot at the SB. But if we win a few division titles with Stafford and aren't screwed long-term, it would be hard to say it was a bad trade unless Goff completely tears it up in Detroit. 

Every move the team makes is made to try and win the SB. That doesn't mean every move is bad just because the end goal wasn't reached. Otherwise we'd have to say AD is a bust.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Every move the team makes is made to try and win the SB. That doesn't mean every move is bad just because the end goal wasn't reached. Otherwise we'd have to say AD is a bust.

And I'm not saying the move is bad or not based on that. But McVay and Snead made the choice to destroy Jared's rep publicly and have again traded massive amounts of picks to upgrade QB and paying a ton of dead cap space to a guy they extended then jettisoned before even playing under that extension. I'm not a fan of the way we seem to want to do business. But they've built at least a competitive team. 

However his own words and how they handled things make me feel they have to win it all to justify the way they're doing business but I won't change my opinion of Stafford based on winning the SB or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And I'm not saying the move is bad or not based on that. But McVay and Snead made the choice to destroy Jared's rep publicly and have again traded massive amounts of picks to upgrade QB and paying a ton of dead cap space to a guy they extended then jettisoned before even playing under that extension. I'm not a fan of the way we seem to want to do business. But they've built at least a competitive team. 

However his own words and how they handled things make me feel they have to win it all to justify the way they're doing business but I won't change my opinion of Stafford based on winning the SB or not. 

Outside of saying he's the QB "right now" in those press conferences, how exactly did they destroy his rep in the public?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yeah I'm not with you on that at all. At all. Worst things that were said in 4 years were "our QB has to protect the ball more" and "he's our QB right now". If anything, McVay protected him from the media for 3.5 years and would always take blame. To the point it frustrated us even at times.

Or are you basing this off one Gottlieb tweet? Because that doesn't seem fair to me. Anyone could've told Gottlieb that. Player, lower coach, coach not on the team anymore, hell, even an equipment manager.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

Yeah I'm not with you on that at all. At all. Worst things that were said in 4 years were "our QB has to protect the ball more" and "he's our QB right now". If anything, McVay protected him from the media for 3.5 years and would always take blame. To the point it frustrated us even at times.

Or are you basing this off one Gottlieb tweet? Because that doesn't seem fair to me. Anyone could've told Gottlieb that. Player, lower coach, coach not on the team anymore, hell, even an equipment manager.

👆 This exactly.

McVay shouldered the blame for Goff for the last 4 seasons (and Gurley too). He spoke out once after the SF game, but I think we would all agree there's nothing wrong with telling your QB to protect the ball more.

The Gottlieb thing got pushed back on this board as likely "not true" or "not buying it" and now, if I'm understanding correctly, it's being used as direct words from Snead/McVay (hope I'm wrong there).