Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

Been thinking more about the trade and starting to come around to it but honestly, anything less than a Super Bowl win this trade should be considered a failure. 

I think one first round pick for Stafford is fair compensation, but because we had to dump Goff, another first was included. The third round pick was probably included because the Lions wanted something for the 2021 draft. 

They're probably betting on our defense being elite like it was this season and there shouldn't be any guarantee of that. Losing our defensive coordinator and other assistants plus most likely multiple starters. We'd be screwed if one of Ramsey or Donald gets hurt.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Been thinking more about the trade and starting to come around to it but honestly, anything less than a Super Bowl win this trade should be considered a failure. 

I think one first round pick for Stafford is fair compensation, but because we had to dump Goff, another first was included. The third round pick was probably included because the Lions wanted something for the 2021 draft. 

They're probably betting on our defense being elite like it was this season and there shouldn't be any guarantee of that. Losing our defensive coordinator and other assistants plus most likely multiple starters. We'd be screwed if one of Ramsey or Donald gets hurt.

I've had this thought initially but I think I've revised my thinking. It is definitely a win on the trade if we win a SB with Stafford. But I'd also consider it a win if the Rams are successful in the 3 or so years with Stafford and we are able to remain relatively competitive in the next life cycle of the team. A loss on the trade will only be if we suck with Stafford or remain competitive with him and then go through a full-rebuild.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I guess as for the first round picks, as long as we can at least stay competitive and pick around the 25-32 range losing the firsts isn't as big a deal. I know I've heard they don't see much of a difference in players who go in that range as players who get picked around the 50s range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know what went down, but the character assassination is inexcusable. I know I mocked the Jaguars for doing that crap. It's pathetic. I remember the way Martz used Bernie Miklasz to attack Kurt Warner and justify jettisoning him. This only has made me more angry at this organization.

Honestly, as much as it pains me, I'm forcing myself to move forward with it. Goff is gone and Stafford is our guy, which is luckily someone I've also always liked. Even if he isn't in the elite tier, he's pretty good and also a great guy to root for.

The character assassination is where I draw the line. Goff has always seemed like a team first guy who does a lot of charity in his off time. I honestly feel like he gave the team everything he had, and for the team/fans to treat him like they did towards is end is disgusting. The similarities between Goff's and Warner's exit are too similar, and it makes you wonder why Gurley went radio silent towards his end with the team. 

It is what it is at this point. We gave up too early on a guy that can still be a great QB, but he's gone now and we have a few years of Stafford to make a legit run at a title (even if that window is closing a lot quicker now). 

• Like 1

I was listening to the Doug Gottlieb show and he was talking about the situation as to why the Rams moved on from Goff. He then talked to Trent Dilfer who knows both Goff and McVay. Trent said he isnt buying into the notion that Goff has poor work ethic. He said maybe Goff works hard in other ways because nowadays guys work from home and dont have to spend countless hours in the building watching film and stuff. He said he can buy into Goff not holding himself accountable and not pushing the ball down the field in the way McVay wanted him too. Again he said he cant buy the notion that Goff has poor work ethic. He said organizations say those things so that the fanbase can jump on their side when a move like this goes down.

At the end of the day, Goff is in Detroit and Stafford in with the Rams so for me I wish Goff success in Detroit but my focus is on Stafford and what I believe he can and will do for this team to help us not just get back to the Superbowl but win it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Honestly, as much as it pains me, I'm forcing myself to move forward with it. Goff is gone and Stafford is our guy, which is luckily someone I've also always liked. Even if he isn't in the elite tier, he's pretty good and also a great guy to root for.

The character assassination is where I draw the line. Goff has always seemed like a team first guy who does a lot of charity in his off time. I honestly feel like he gave the team everything he had, and for the team/fans to treat him like they did towards is end is disgusting. The similarities between Goff's and Warner's exit are too similar, and it makes you wonder why Gurley went radio silent towards his end with the team. 

It is what it is at this point. We gave up too early on a guy that can still be a great QB, but he's gone now and we have a few years of Stafford to make a legit run at a title (even if that window is closing a lot quicker now). 

I'm not there yet. The character assassination is only driving me further away from this team. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I agree completely. It’s shocking all the negative press about Goff. He always seemed like a great team guy, very quiet and did a ton for the community. It seems like something happened behind the scenes this season that really pissed off McVay and couldn’t be repaired.  I hope he can be successful in Detroit. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

He said organizations say those things so that the fanbase can jump on their side when a move like this goes down.

Yeah that's what I assumed was going on. We've seen it plenty of times (not just with the Rams). 

Still bothers me knowing how close Mcvay and Goff used to be though. I wanted them to win together so bad. 

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm more inclined to believe your initial report than what Gottlieb said. Gottlieb pretty much is doing a check your box for every attribute you wouldn't want in a QB. And we know Goff is accountable so that already disproves one of his points. You said Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play and he didn't have the drive to be great. That isn't as damning as what Gottlieb is saying and more believable. I don't buy Gottlieb's report is true and it all materialized within the last 17 months. Because they don't extend him to that kind of money if they had those red flags.

But there's other sources that to an extent discredit this (Detroit wanting Goff, Goff taking ownership for poor play, etc). You say internally everyone knows...except for Brad Holmes and Ray Agnew.

But I won't go back and forth. I just won't believe a lone report from Gottlieb. A respectable journalist, teammates, people in the organization coming out and confirming this then I'll be on board. I certainly buy 100% Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play.  

I can’t speak on accountability but I know for sure that Goff not being able to read defenses and not working as hard on his craft had a lot to do with it. From what I know, guys and McVay thought he became complacent after they reached the SB. 

McVay actually started having problems with him about his work ethic and lack of putting in work outside of games in 2019 but swept it under the rug  he even changed the offense for him in 2020 to add more quick reads and yac in hopes he would improve but he didn’t. He felt that Goff needed to be an “extension of the coaching staff on the field” but he struggled with reading coverages and didn’t have an overall command on the right OL protection adjustments (Miami game is a good example) 

Some teammates thought he didn’t have the drive to be great. That he was “content” nice contract, playing in LA, model gf...etc (again, not my words) 

before he’d show up before everyone at early in the morning to work at the same time as AD99 but then after the SB he stopped. Allegedly he didn’t watch film as much as he should’ve (this is not confirmed by the source)

according to this player: McVay has a saying that you can’t teach attitude and drive. And ultimately that’s what led to Goff’s departure (he thinks)

Also he thinks Goff did a lot of great things for the community: Inglewood project and countless other things.

Goff was well liked but he thinks Goff could’ve been more respected as a football player 

none of the above words are mine. Again not saying any of this is true because I haven’t seen it with my own eyes so take it for what it’s worth 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

If you read my next post, it literally says it just a guess on my part. 

The turmoil came out of no where and even if Mcvay didn't think Goff could take the team to the next level, he wouldn't have passive aggressively talked about him the way he did in the media unless there was some sort of bad blood. They used to be close and Mcvay is not that type of dude, so there had to be something behind the scenes. That's my best guess, but that's all it is. 

Guess it started since 2019 

16 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

McVay actually started having problems with him about his work ethic and lack of putting in work outside of games in 2019 but swept it under the rug  he even changed the offense for him in 2020 to add more quick reads and yac in hopes he would improve but he didn’t. He felt that Goff needed to be an “extension of the coaching staff on the field” but he struggled with reading coverages and didn’t have an overall command on the right OL protection adjustments (Miami game is a good example) 

Some teammates thought he didn’t have the drive to be great.

Just going by memory, but this sounds eerily similar to the problems people had with Stafford circa 2012-2015.

It was rumored Lombardi leaked that Stafford didn't have the drive or football IQ to take the next step.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I don't recall that at all.

Rapoport reported on NFL Network that Lombardi was "frustrated he couldn't put enough on Stafford's plate. Did not think he was able to handle it -- he was not taking control of as much of the offense as the coaching staff wanted him. In fact, new offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter actually had to simplify things for Stafford, all of which in part leads to the conclusion that Stafford's days in Detroit are very much numbered."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2015/11/lions_qb_matthew_stafford_defe.html

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I can’t speak on accountability but I know for sure that Goff not being able to read defenses and not working as hard on his craft had a lot to do with it. From what I know, guys and McVay thought he became complacent after they reached the SB. 

Some teammates thought he didn’t have the drive to be great. That he was “content” nice contract, playing in LA, model gf...etc (again, not my words) 

before he’d show up before everyone at early in the morning to work at the same time as AD99 but then after the SB he stopped. Allegedly he didn’t watch film as much as he should’ve (this is not confirmed by the source)

according to this player: McVay has a saying that you can’t teach attitude and drive. And ultimately that’s what led to Goff’s departure (he thinks)

Also he thinks Goff did a lot of great things for the community: Inglewood project and countless other things.

Goff was well liked but he thinks Goff could’ve been more respected as a football player 

none of the above words are mine. Again not saying any of this is true because I haven’t seen it with my own eyes so take it for what it’s worth 

I'd like to know your source to put any legit stock into it (I get why you don't want to announce it), but none of that sounds unreasonable. 

Goff's talent and character is always what I believed in. I know he had his weaknesses, but he has the tools to be great. If his work ethic did indeed slip, then that would make sense, but I still need to hear it for myself. Saying you know someone on the team is nice and all but you have to understand others' skepticism about it.