Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

46 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

First of all for the idiots that lack the ability to comprehend the English language we've said the Rams shouldn't make this kind of move not couldn't or wouldn't you're now 0 for 3 understanding this point so congrats on that.

We've been told the Rams needed and wanted a mobile QB that's why McVay liked Wolford so much it was necessary for his offense and that meant Goff was gone. Well you got a statue instead one he's a mediocre QB at best. 

We've been told they wanted to move off of Goff and get on a Rookie QB well that's out the window now. It's like Mad Mike Martz 2.0 with this club. 

The Rams have traded 4 first round picks 2 second round picks and 3 third round picks while paying Jared Goff $81 million all so they can end up with Matt Stafford. So that need to get a mobile young QB on a rookie deal led us to a soon to be 33 year old statue with a career 62% completion. Oh and between Goff and Stafford we're now paying the QB position $42 million this year and have yet again $30 million of dead money on the books. 

We have a nearly 40 year old LT and the rest of our line is free agents after 2021 or 2022 we have no cap money in either off season and we have no picks either. We also now have to push more money for Stafford into future years because they've effed up the cap for 2021 in colossal ways. 

Snead got played by his former apprentice pure and simple this is disgusting to watch. And for the clown questioning our fandom shut your pie hole. I've been a Rams fan longer than you've been alive so don't bring that crap at me or anybody else. I'll always be a Rams fan but I can't watch a team leadership that continually gives out these contracts to players then puts the team in cap hell by moving on from them BEFORE THE EXTENSIONS EVEN GO INTO AFFECT! I can't sit around and watch this team shoot itself in the foot. I have always liked Matt Stafford but for the people that think this trade in totality makes us a better team I simply can't and won't ever agree. This was a terrible move by the Rams and I'm taking an extended break. I already didn't like this forum and a few people have finally driven me off it. Best of luck to those of you who I've been here with for years hope you find something to enjoy in football season. 

Love you big bro. Think we all felt the same yesterday.. Winning cures all. Let’s just see what Mcvay can do. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I am not here to troll but does anyone like this trade?  Two first rounders is entirely too much.

Some do, some don't.  I think it makes the Rams legit Superbowl contenders and capitalizes on the window of Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, and Woods all under contract for the next two years. McVay and Snead saw a glass ceiling with Goff at the helm and apparently McVay loves Stafford. I don't think the franchise has highly valued 1st round picks if theyre picking in the late 20s and have shown they can hit on 2nd-6th round talent to plug and develop. 

Lions got picks to build with and their new GM is great at spotting talent so they made out well. If the Lions get 3 starters and the Rams get a ring, both teams win this trade.

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Well we didn't have a deep threat on the roster intentionally to aid Goff in the short passing game (mentioned above). We now have a QB who can extend plays and move the pocket to keep plays alive and allow longer routes to develop. He also throws an incredibly accurate deep ball. So yes, a deep threat will be brought in. I was mor excited to see if we can keep Floyd or JJIII if we can extend Stafford as it would free up more space than originally anticipated. Not to mention, there will be the usual veteran FA's on defense we bring in who are ring chasing (Clay Matthews, Eric Weddle, etc).

It's exciting times. I wish you guys were excited about it as well. 

Any report from Jourdan Rodrigue gets an eye roll from me. Why would the Rams intentionally devoid the offense of speed? It makes zero sense. Even if you want to only throw it short, speed always helps. Tyreek Hill is exceptional in the short passing game. 

It is obvious whoever Jourdans source is that they are dumping all of struggles on Goff. But if that is the reality then we shouldn't need to add to the offensive side. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Any report from Jourdan Rodrigue gets an eye roll from me. Why would the Rams intentionally devoid the offense of speed? It makes zero sense. Even if you want to only throw it short, speed always helps. Tyreek Hill is exceptional in the short passing game. 

It is obvious whoever Jourdans source is that they are dumping all of struggles on Goff. But if that is the reality then we shouldn't need to add to the offensive side. 

There is a pandemic of people with this line of thinking on this board. I've never seen anything like it. Just because you do not like or agree with something does not mean it is rooted in false information or bias. Jourdan Rodrique is probably the best journalist covering the Rams today. 

I thought the trade that just happened would change people's perspective on Goff and show what we really went on in the mind of McVay/Snead. And instead people have dug deeper in their stance that Goff just needed more. It's mindnumbing at this point, but maybe people are still in shock? 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Well we didn't have a deep threat on the roster intentionally to aid Goff in the short passing game (mentioned above).

This is absolutely horrible logic. Having no deep threat condenses the defense, and makes the short passing game harder. To aid the short passing game, you stretch the field. I like Jourdan, but this makes literally zero sense. 

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It's exciting times. I wish you guys were excited about it as well. 

Seriously. It’s actually annoying to not be able to celebrate with rams fans cause they’re all in their bedrooms crying right now. Not a knock on anyone but holy hell lighten up people. It’s sad. I liked Goff but I’m ok with moving on if this FO truly thinks they’re doing what needs to be done to win. I hate the wasted contracts too but I’m so happy that this team is willing to do whatever the hell they want to get what they want. I miss first round picks too but I’d rather take the chances on a proven guy.. even if he falls off a cliff in 4 years at the age of 37. Whoever we drafted in the first would have been around for 5 years unless obviously they extended him. I WANT THIS TEAM TO WIN A SB BADLY.... but since Mcvay and Snead got here they might’ve handed out some bad contracts but they put us in position to win every single year. Something we couldn’t say for 15 years.. so they’re still doing something wrong? Lol crazy how hypocritical some you are about them. Anyone who liked Goff and is upset about him leaving will now despise les and sean and can’t wait for them to fail. It’s crazy. Some of you can’t wait to see them fail just so you CAN blame them. Such an unhealthy and dumb way to live. This fan base is cheeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

Anyone who liked Goff and is upset about him leaving will now despise les and sean and can’t wait for them to fail. 

This is not true. Anyone who liked Goff was able to call a spade a spade and only wanted to stick with Goff because it was the best thing to do for the Rams. 

My thing is this blind trust everyone has for Snead and Mcvay. They can literally do no wrong and aren't held accountable for their screw ups while Goff was thrown under the bus for ever single mistake he made. It's hypocritical. 

And for the record, that's not geared towards you. You're one of the most positive posters while also being realistic on this board. When Mcvay calls a **** game or Snead refuses to get a deep threat or strengthen the IOL, you hold them accountable, which is all I'm asking. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

My thing is this blind trust everyone has for Snead and Mcvay. They can literally do no wrong and aren't held accountable for their screw ups while Goff was thrown under the bus for ever single mistake he made. It's hypocritical. 

4 winning seasons, 3 playoff appearences, 3 playoff wins, a Superbowl appearence, most aggressive FO in the league, and a complete turn around from the Fisher days. They have earned my blind trust and have done not much wrong outside of paying 3 players too early and then quickly looking to rectify their mistakes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

4 winning seasons, 3 playoff appearences, 3 playoff wins, a Superbowl appearence, most aggressive FO in the league, and a complete turn around from the Fisher days. They have earned my blind trust and have done not much wrong outside of paying 3 players too early and then quickly looking to rectify their mistakes.

Edit: Shouldn't that be 2024? 

Edited by JonStark

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

This is not true. Anyone who liked Goff was able to call a spade a spade and only wanted to stick with Goff because it was the best thing to do for the Rams. 

And for the record, that's not geared towards you. You're one of the most positive posters while also being realistic on this board. When Mcvay calls a **** game or Snead refuses to get a deep threat or strengthen the IOL, you hold them accountable, which is all I'm asking. 

Yeah that’s fair lol I knew goffs potential and knew his struggles. At the end of the day the trade is worth it TO ME because I don’t currently trust Goff and do think stafford will get them over the hump. I feel for Jared honestly. I also agree that it stinks to let him go at 27 and not see if he does become THAT GUY. I was a little critical of Mcvay a few times this last season but that’s expected. Not always going to agree with certain things on the field. I am happy that this is a guy Mcvay (probably) hand picked himself and I want to see what he does with him. The contracts are an issue for sure with him and Snead lol wish they would stop handing them out and change their minds. It’s killing our cap. But still thankful it doesn’t stop them from getting who they want. Regardless, you’re right.. if this is Mcvay saying “it was on Goff” then he needs to make this happen with stafford. No excuses! 
Man I hope this works out. Would love for this forum to come together for just one season haha 

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

There is a pandemic of people with this line of thinking on this board. I've never seen anything like it. Just because you do not like or agree with something does not mean it is rooted in false information or bias. Jourdan Rodrique is probably the best journalist covering the Rams today. 

I thought the trade that just happened would change people's perspective on Goff and show what we really went on in the mind of McVay/Snead. And instead people have dug deeper in their stance that Goff just needed more. It's mindnumbing at this point, but maybe people are still in shock? 

But conversely just because 1 person is saying something doesn't make it fact. Jourdan is reporting what people are telling her. The story is being spun by the Rams that Goff was 100% of the blame for the offensive struggles. She even referenced the 18 points against the Cardinals with Wolford as proof that we just need a different QB. The 18 point number is cute BTW to not include a safety and defensive TD.

So if that thought is true then we shouldn't have to improve the line or add a deep threat. Stafford is just the missing piece. But I'm assuming we will have new starters on the offensive line and add a deep threat in the offseason because these are also issues that is holding the team back. 

Jourdan literally said in that piece it was by design to not have a deep threat. How does that make any sense? I think Watkins was kind of bum but he helped stretch the field. Cooks addition in 2018 was the key to the offense's leap. His speed opened the offense for shot plays and deep comebacks when they had to respect his deep play ability. 2019 was a bad year for the whole offense. Injured Cooks, bottom 5 in rushing efficiency, poor line play, and poor Goff. If Jourdan is correct that it was by design then we are believing that the front office concluded after ONE bad year from Goff that he didn't need a deep threat. It's an incredibly dumb notion. 

Go look at Cooks career. He's played with Brees, Brady, Goff, and Watson. You could make the case 2018 was his best year. How does that make sense that Goff doesn't need a deep threat when Cooks has his peak year with him? It doesn't. 

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kind of how I feel about it. I know eventually this “we used to suck” thing will get old because that isn’t us anymore, let’s win a SB instead of being content not sucking. But it takes time to turn around an organization and to be consistent. Since those guys got here they’ve helped the rams be in position every year. They draft so well.. they hire great coaches. I personally trust who they put on the field and have no reason not to. But I do hate handing out these deals like candy lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

They have earned my blind trust and have done not much wrong outside of paying 3 players too early and then quickly looking to rectify their mistakes.

Glad you are finally admitting it’s blind

Because sure, 3 of the worst contractual mistakes we have ever seen we should all just hand wave because they are trying to rectify them. 

Literally the worst RB contract ever, and 2 major extensions that never saw a single down played on those years, and consecutively resulted in setting the record for most dead cap in the history of the league. And you can’t even see why people would be questioning that?

Edited by StLunatic88

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

Yeah that’s fair lol I knew goffs potential and knew his struggles. At the end of the day the trade is worth it TO ME because I don’t currently trust Goff and do think stafford will get them over the hump. I feel for Jared honestly. I also agree that it stinks to let him go at 27 and not see if he does become THAT GUY. I was a little critical of Mcvay a few times this last season but that’s expected. Not always going to agree with certain things on the field. I am happy that this is a guy Mcvay (probably) hand picked himself and I want to see what he does with him. The contracts are an issue for sure with him and Snead lol wish they would stop handing them out and change their minds. It’s killing our cap. But still thankful it doesn’t stop them from getting who they want. Regardless, you’re right.. if this is Mcvay saying “it was on Goff” then he needs to make this happen with stafford. No excuses! 
Man I hope this works out. Would love for this forum to come together for just one season haha 

Yup, there's nothing wrong with being happy with this move and nothing wrong with being upset with it. I like having Stafford, but we gave up on Goff too early and spent way too much to do it. 

As long as people can hold Mcvay accountable, I'm fine. He pounded the table for the Goff extension and changing his mind 2 years later cost us cap room and a ton of picks. Everyone is just refusing to acknowledge that.

• Like 1