Should we trade up to the Lions 7th pick so we’re in position to take a top QB?

turtle28

Should we trade up w/ the Lions to be able to draft a QB?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade up w/ the Lions to be able to draft a QB?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They have to find a QB someway, somehow. Winning the division hurt this team in so many ways. 

Just to sort of reinforce this point, had we been picking 10th (where we would’ve been with a loss against PHI), the package of our 1st + 2nd could have gotten us easily to pick #4 on the new trade value chart. 

Now, our 1st + 2nd could get us barely to pick #9. In other words, instead of having the option of using those two picks to move up into Fields/Wilson range, we now have the option of trading up into “top 4 QBs probably gone” range with them. That’s a huge hit to the future of this franchise. Tough to root against your team with the playoffs on the line — but it’s hard to conclude anything other than “damn, kinda wish Nate Sudfeld had balled out.”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Lions traded just traded for Goff. There’s no way they’re trading him.

The LIons got a #1 pick to take Goff and his CONTRACT,..They didn't want him . He was forced on them as part of the deal. It's complicated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just to sort of reinforce this point, had we been picking 10th (where we would’ve been with a loss against PHI), the package of our 1st + 2nd could have gotten us easily to pick #4 on the new trade value chart. 

Now, our 1st + 2nd could get us barely to pick #9. In other words, instead of having the option of using those two picks to move up into Fields/Wilson range, we now have the option of trading up into “top 4 QBs probably gone” range with them. That’s a huge hit to the future of this franchise. Tough to root against your team with the playoffs on the line — but it’s hard to conclude anything other than “damn, kinda wish Nate Sudfeld had balled out.”

Can’t root for my team to tank. We almost beat Tampa (who is now in the SB). So I think we made the right move by just trying to make the playoffs for the first time since 2015. I also do not think we should be trading up for any QB in this draft outside of Lawrence, which is not happening. However, if we do trade up... they better be damn sure of the guy they are moving up for, cause a miss on that pick would be detrimental to the roster build we currently have going. 

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

1st thing to Answer the question of Thread no we shouldn't trade up it would cost to much and atleast 2 maybe 3 of the QBs will be gone.And While I think Fields has the Arm I question the system he's coming out of which I seen multiple people say its a WR read where WR reads the defense then make a cut,which will limit where the QB is entering the NFL,Does it mean Fields won't be good no but its to hard to judge at moment for me.

The make playoff not make playoffs debate is 100% it cost us a player or chance to trade up for a QB,but on the other side mentally getting away from oh no here it goes again for the players has to be worth more then most player too.

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't think either will be there and I don't think Goff precludes them from drafting a qb.  The trick is the compensation.  I bet it would very expensive.  I am not that sold on these qbs.

So 3 QBs go in the top 6 in your opinion? That’s very very rare like historic. I don’t know too many drafts - if any - where 3 QBs went in the top 6.

Edited by turtle28

21 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

The make playoff not make playoffs debate is 100% it cost us a player or chance to trade up for a QB,but on the other side mentally getting away from oh no here it goes again for the players has to be worth more then most player too.

The winning one more game is really hurting us in finding a long term answer at QB. It’s almost like this was predicted or something by some people...

The “oh no here we go again” I think only affects so many player who’s have been on the team 5 years or longer. Most of the 2020 Washington team was either on a rookie contract or a cheap FA added. There were only a handful of guys who were on the team 5 years ago so, I don’t think the “oh no here we go again” is that big of a deal considering our youth, that we’re developing and that it was year 1 of Rivera’s tenure.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So 3 QBs go in the top 6 in your opinion? That’s very very rare like historic. I don’t know too many drafts - if any - where 3 QBs went in the top 6.

To be clear, I personally don't think after Lawrence that there is a qb in this draft worth a top 15 pick.  

But if the Jets go qb with their pick then I definitely think all 3 are gone that fast.  It is absurd, but I think it will happen.  

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think it means that at all to be fair. 

Well anything is possible, but most times don't take a QB in the top 10 when the already have a starting Qb. The Lions just got a starting QB back when they traded away Matt Stafford in Jared Goff, so I think it's unlikely that in this draft at least that they'll be taking a QB with the 7th pick.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

To be clear, I personally don't think after Lawrence that there is a qb in this draft worth a top 15 pick.  

But if the Jets go qb with their pick then I definitely think all 3 are gone that fast.  It is absurd, but I think it will happen.  

I think Wilson and Fields are definitely worthy of going in the top 10. I just question if after Lawrence goes to the Jags that the Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, Bengals or Eagles will take either Wilson or Fields. It's not because they aren't great QB prospects, its because of who those teams, they already have a QB who's an established starter in their building or a guy they just drafted high who they are developing and they could keep their QBs and address other positions where there is a ton of talent in this draft as well from OT to WR to ILB to CB. Of course, there could always be trades where those teams will trade back to pick up extra picks with teams like us Carolina or Denver so that they can take the QB prospect.

Edited by turtle28

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'd love to be wrong, but betting against 20 years of history doesn't make me confident.  

The “Mr. Snyder” this and that from Rivera also doesn’t make me think that if Snyder really really wants something that Rivera won’t be like the previous people who had final say on football operations the last 20 years - outside of Marty - who gave into to Snyder and did what he wanted in the end. Event Gibbs & Shanahan couldn’t stop Snyder from getting what he wanted when Snyder really wasn’t open to doing anything but what he wanted to do.

I will say that Rivera did convince Snyder that getting rid of Haskins was best for the team and that was probably Snyder’s personal pick that he wanted to work out most in his 20 years as owner.

So, that was a promising sign that Rivera does have final say, at least for the time being.