Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?

HeresAGuy

You always go all in, and you never go all in.  You do what is best for your team with every decision you make.  

The "team" shouldn't ever do what's best for the player.  To do so would not be making the right choice for the "team". 

This is the Green Bay Packers, not the Green Bay AR's.   The team has had exceptional success in the past 20 or more years.  Continue that.  

For the now, AND for the future.

Edited by 15412

Thats fine, but this is a case where what is best for Aaron Rodgers is also best for Devante Adams, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, and a vast majority of the packers.  Of course its not about just Aaron Rodgers.  Push for a championship for your other guys too.  This is their best shot at opening the door too, and this stretch could be all of their best shots the rest of their career.

31 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Thats fine, but this is a case where what is best for Aaron Rodgers is also best for Devante Adams, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, and a vast majority of the packers.  Of course its not about just Aaron Rodgers.  Push for a championship for your other guys too.  This is their best shot at opening the door too, and this stretch could be all of their best shots the rest of their career.

We only have those players because of the current roster building philosophy.

21 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

this is what going all in looks like.  Imagine Aaron Rodgers with a defense or these weapons.

I imagine that If Rodgers hadn't thrown the INT at the end of Q2 and Jones hadn't fumbled to start Q3, it would have been GB facing KC rather than TB.

No disrespect, but this thread is stupid.  The goal every year is the Super Bowl.

It's hard to do.  We've been good enough for two of the four NFCCGs, we just haven't been lucky enough.  Yes, luck plays a big part of it.

Like getting to play teams that are missing players at premium positions. (Like LTs)

Aaron and the offense are just fine.  The defense's brain farts sabotaged us this year.

Edited by Dubz41
  • Like 3

"Push for a championship for your other guys too.  This is their best shot at opening the door too, and this stretch could be all of their best shots the rest of their career."

What you are not taking into consideration HGuy is indeed the OTHER guys.  Not just these guys, but those down the road.  The teams future.  As Dubz41 said, you go for the Super Bowl every year.  Few teams have a legit shot long term, near every year.  The Packers have, and that's because of great management. You don't destroy tomorrow for a slightly better chance today.  Not in my book.

The team doesn't owe the current roster anything more than they owe the future roster.

Where I don't fully agree with Dub is on our defense.  Yes, could have been better.  At the same time, losing Bak when we did hurt our offense an awful lot.  Kind of like KC losing two O-Tackles.  It affects the game.  And also, while King and Redmond and Sullivan and the D had let downs in our last game, so did Rodgers.  His failure to find a wide open Adams and then throwing to a smothered MVS, throwing to a smothered Adams in the end zone when Lazard was wide open, failing to run a few yards for a TD and instead throwing an incompletion to a smothered receiver.  Team loss.

With the exception of the last season, last year we were a "win now" team. We had multiple in season FA signings to get boosts on the margin. Degura was supposed to be our starting H Back but got hurt. Dillon was supposed to get more of a load, but had an injury/covid/Williams stepped up.

I still want this team as far as the draft to use good process. Reaching on needs is bad process and can flame out like it did in 2015/17 (we legit might not have a pick from either draft on our roster in a few weeks). With that said consider our roster, I'd be fine with:

-Spreading the cap to a degree so we don't have to cut players. The cap will be going up post covid

-be fine trading up if there is someone dropping... we have a couple extra mid rounders 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:36 PM, Mazrimiv said:

I imagine that If Rodgers hadn't thrown the INT at the end of Q2 and Jones hadn't fumbled to start Q3, it would have been GB facing KC rather than TB.

Unfortunately, this is a microcosm of Rodgers' career. The guy threw for 346 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 int (101.6 rating) and we lost....again. He outperformed the opposing QB (again), and yet we lost....again. Rodgers probably made 4-5 mistakes in the game (1 int, arguably poor throw to 17 (who still should have caught it) and not seeing a few other open guys). Remember when Rodgers said on McAfee that "down years for me are career years for most QBs..." Well, for most QBs, a 101 rating, with 350-3-1 is a VERY good playoff performance. But if Rodgers does it....we lose against tough teams. 

It's funny because people bring this stuff up without realizing that it cements the point that has existed forever around here....Aaron Rodgers is the Green Bay Packers. Basically, the guy needs a 120 rating or higher for us to win against a good team. If not, we lose. 

The same sentiment applies to this "all in" talk. If you want to win a SB, you better do it now while Rodgers is still playing at this level. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Unfortunately, this is a microcosm of Rodgers' career. The guy threw for 346 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 int (101.6 rating) and we lost....again. He outperformed the opposing QB (again), and yet we lost....again. Rodgers probably made 4-5 mistakes in the game (1 int, arguably poor throw to 17 (who still should have caught it) and not seeing a few other open guys). Remember when Rodgers said on McAfee that "down years for me are career years for most QBs..." Well, for most QBs, a 101 rating, with 350-3-1 is a VERY good playoff performance. But if Rodgers does it....we lose against tough teams. 

It's funny because people bring this stuff up without realizing that it cements the point that has existed forever around here....Aaron Rodgers is the Green Bay Packers. Basically, the guy needs a 120 rating or higher for us to win against a good team. If not, we lose. 

The same sentiment applies to this "all in" talk. If you want to win a SB, you better do it now while Rodgers is still playing at this level. 

Completely agree.  If he's not playing completely mistake free football he gets roasted by his haters for "locking in on Adams" or "not throwing it to RBs" or "ignoring his secondary WRs".  They're fine with his play when what he does is working and then flip the switch and act like he's a terrible QB when it isn't.  Aaron Rodgers played a very good football game in the NFCC game despite a couple costly drops, nothing from our run game and crap protection from our line.  He however did make some mistakes and those mistakes are the ONLY thing that some care about.  These same people spent their offseason last year pounding on their QB about how awful Rodgers was so attacking any and every misstep isn't all that surprising.  He's gotta to play like a god on every snap to make those "fans" happy.

This is probably a 3 or 4 win football team if Boyle or Love are starting in favor of Rodgers.  

Edited by SSG

11 minutes ago, SSG said:

Completely agree.  If he's not playing completely mistake free football he gets roasted by his haters for "locking in on Adams" or "not throwing it to RBs" or "ignoring his secondary WRs".  They're fine with his play when what he does is working and then flip the switch and act like he's a terrible QB when it isn't.  Aaron Rodgers played a very good football game in the NFCC game despite a couple costly drops, nothing from our run game and crap protection from our line.  He however did make some mistakes and those mistakes are the ONLY thing that some care about.  These same people spent their offseason last year pounding on their QB about how awful Rodgers was so attacking any and every misstep isn't all that surprising.  He's gotta to play like a god on every snap to make those "fans" happy.

This is probably a 3 or 4 win football team if Boyle or Love are starting in favor of Rodgers.  

I think that's a little dramatic.  With the way the offense is called, I bet it's closer to 6-8 wins.  If it was M3, then yeah, I agree on the 4ish wins.

18 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don’t think anyone really “pounded” on Aaron Rodgers. The storyline last year was more about the level of play of Aaron Rodgers versus his contract and everything that was said at the time was accurate. The play at that time did not match his contract and something had to give, whether that was Aaron Rodgers elevating his play or taking a pay cut so that they could put the pieces around him that would be required for him to do so.

What was said then holds true today, because 1 of those two things happened the way it needed to.

Edited by Nick_gb
Typo

1 minute ago, Smidgeon said:

I think that's a little dramatic.  With the way the offense is called, I bet it's closer to 6-8 wins.  If it was M3, then yeah, I agree on the 4ish wins.

Maybe though there were only a couple games where we really dominated with the running game and that's with defense's having to prepare for the Packers MVP QB/ passing attack.  I'm not sure that's a rushing attack that's good enough to carry a team to 8 wins if Boyle or Love were tossing the rock. 

That was nothing but dramatic, not just a little.   As I said, the loss to Tampa was a team loss.  A big part of that loss was the missing left tackle which is nobody's fault.  A big part of that loss was various aspects of our defense and its play.  A big part of that loss was the play of our offensive line, an injury to Jones, and more.  Oh, and 12 was also at fault, a big part of that loss. There were big plays sitting there waiting to be made, and he didn't make them.  Like I said, a team loss.  You don't judge a starting QB by comparing him to his backups, you compare him to other starting QB's.  Rodg is near the top no doubt.  There isn't a QB who makes all the plays, but the ones sitting there waiting to be made and then aren't are a big part of the equation.  Especially when you're paying the man what we are paying him.  Not to be good, to be great.

21 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I don’t think anyone really “pounded” on Aaron Rodgers. The storyline last year was more about the level of play of Aaron Rodgers versus his contract and everything that was said at the time was accurate. The play at that time did not match his contract and something had to give, whether that was Aaron Rodgers elevating his play or taking a pay cut so that they could put the pieces around him that would be required for him to do so.

What was said then holds true today, because 1 of those two things happened the way it needed to.

Maybe though I specifically remember one of the clowns referring to him as our worst starter after the NFCC game in San Fran. There are some around this board who believe he is the only issue with this offense regardless of his MVP season.  He's got to play like a god or he's getting 100% of the blame when it comes to the offense.  

Edited by SSG