Pre-Draft Prospect Meetings

mwalker

I think a discussion that needs to be had with RB is the idea of the 5th year option. That 5th year is fully guaranteed. That might be an issue. I don't want to guarantee a RB a lot of money two years before the fact. I suppose they don't have to pick up the option, but that also leads to problems. I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking a RB if we trade out of the 1st. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think a discussion that needs to be had with RB is the idea of the 5th year option. That 5th year is fully guaranteed. That might be an issue. I don't want to guarantee a RB a lot of money two years before the fact. I suppose they don't have to pick up the option, but that also leads to problems. I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking a RB if we trade out of the 1st. 

Most recent 5th year option for the 2nd overall pick in the draft in the draft with more than 1 pro-bowls was $8.65M. That's an extremely palatable number for a guy who would have made 2 pro bowls in his first 3 years. $8.65 was also the franchise tag number if you want to forgo the 5th year option and tag the following year to lose the injury guarantee but maintain control. While both of those numbers are going to grow between now and year 4 of that deal, they likely wont skyrocket or grow faster than the cap itself. They are the cheapest options/tags outside of kickers and punters. 

Edited by Dcash4

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Conversely 5th year option on RBs is only $5.56mil which is still relatively small (for picks 11-32). I rather guarantee at that than have to tag one picked in rd 2 at $12.5mil. 

The economics of picking a guy in the late 1st is just too good.