Official FF BSET - The Simpsons vs Breaking Bad

Deadpulse

Sweet 16 - Heisenberg   

35 members have voted

1. 1. 1st seed vs 16th seed

• Breaking Bad (1)
    • The Simpsons (16)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2021 at 09:00 PM

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

the first episode i watched was the finale, well after it went to netflix and the series was done.

the spoilers didnt faze me in the least and was still my favorite show of all time

after that, i went back to the start

Oh I watched it in order, I just started when season 3 was about to air.  I think the first one I saw was the season 2 opener, which came on after Mad Men.  I kept the TV on and it caught my interest, so I went back and watched the first two seasons before the third starting airing.

If we were comparing the first 10-12 seasons of Sinpsons to Breaking Bad, I might give Simpsons the nod.   Those were classics.

However, Simpsons has been mostly trash since the early 2000s.    Its basically in the same breath as SNL of shows that have lost the magic a long time ago but stay alive primarily due to name recognition and loyaliats.

Breaking Bad is somewhat overrated.   Its a good show...great even....but top ranked?   Meh...   

Anyway, going with Breaking Bad.   Early Simpsons holds a special place in my heart, but has been a shell of itself for almost 20 years.   At least Breaking Bad was largely consistent and knew when to end.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, The Orca said:

Animation can do that yes and breaking bad is clearly a top show that has/had a finite life, but to stay relevant in 5 different decades as an actual show (not news) pushes the Simpsons over the top here imo. Animation can do something a regular TV show can not, but to sustain that success across such a large time frame with shifting cultural mindsets over a large amount of time speaks volumes for the show

Sure it does.  You adapt to the culture.  Making fun of politics and society in general will never run out of source material.  But that doesn't push it over the top for me.  I started watching it in college, and its's still going.  Can you say you have watched it non stop since day one?  I don't know anyone my age who comntinues t watch it regularly.

Then, tyou have Breaking Bad writing a continuous five season story, and being one of the top shows to ever do it that successfully at that level.  You have plenty of voters on here who hold a bad season or more against a show even when the first seasons were gold standard.  Doing that is much harder, which is why BB is still ranked where it is universally.

Then there's the Bengals angle.   most people rightfully trace the non playoff streak to the Bo Jackson game.  We haven't won one since.  But I also blame the Simpsons, which debuted a week or two later.  Mike Brown is Bart, and the Bengals haven't won one since.  Maybe it goes away, and we win.

Edited by INbengalfan