Next Year’s QB

TOUCAN

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This is becoming me, as well. The kid has grown on me, largely based on some comments I’ve read relating to his intangibles. We can all see the legs and the big arm, and even if there are some occasionally wonky mechanics and bad throws, the overall arm talent is pretty good. The concern for me has always been that it’s a massive gamble placing all your chips on the prospect of a I-AA running QB developing so much from a mental/processing standpoint that he’ll be able to fully command an NFL passing game. But things I’ve seen about his work ethic, intelligence, ability to digest information and take on more scheme complexity, etc. make me feel better about the idea. There is some definite Josh Allen feel with him for me.

The problem is, we don’t have a lot of friends in the “just dropped out of the top 10” range. DAL at 10 and NYG at 11 would probably have to be bowled over with a godfather offer to help facilitate our drafting of a franchise QB. And SF at 12 is a team I consider a strong contender to take a QB — and they’re in a good position with Jimmy G to be able to wait on Lance a bit. Can only imagine the type of stuff Kyle Shanahan could cook up with a QB who runs like Lance. How do you ever tackle that team if they could get Lance, Mostert, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle all on the field at once? 

So do we go to 9? That’s likely a steep price to pay, to move DEN off what will probably be their top defensive prospect in the draft. I like him, but I don’t know that I like him enough to give up two 1sts (or more). Do we hope he gets past SF and then make the move? Probably lose him at that point. We are in a very difficult position stuck at 19. 

Agreed. And this is precisely the position I feared we would be in as a result of being "King of Turd Mountain" in 2020 (h/t @Woz who needs to trademark that)

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Agreed. And this is precisely the position I feared we would be in as a result of being "King of Turd Mountain" in 2020 (h/t @Woz who needs to trademark that)

That was actually me that first tossed that phrase out there. And I stole it from my girlfriend, who uses it liberally 😂 @Wozdid make it famous, though, so he obviously deserves much of the credit.

And yeah, that was always the concern. There really is no good answer to the QB position, at least that I can see. You’re either relying on these likely career backups that we already have, or you’re paying some limited veteran significant FA money, or you’re trading up for a big project rookie, or you’re drafting a guy in the later rounds who likely ends up in the same career backup category we’re already well-stocked in. Maybe we’ll catch a break and something great will fall in our lap, but...that doesn’t really sound like us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Oh yeah of little faith !

I think we draft Mac Jones = next Joe Montana

or Kyle Trask, next Big Ben

Or Kellen Mond, next Russell Wilson . 

Gotta have Hope !

Hilarious, I love it.

If you read some of the pundits or posts on these boards you would think that all these qbs are going to be great ones.  It is hilarious. 

The majority of drafted qbs fail.  This class will be no different.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

That was actually me that first tossed that phrase out there. And I stole it from my girlfriend, who uses it liberally 😂 @Wozdid make it famous, though, so he obviously deserves much of the credit.

And yeah, that was always the concern. There really is no good answer to the QB position, at least that I can see. You’re either relying on these likely career backups that we already have, or you’re paying some limited veteran significant FA money, or you’re trading up for a big project rookie, or you’re drafting a guy in the later rounds who likely ends up in the same career backup category we’re already well-stocked in. Maybe we’ll catch a break and something great will fall in our lap, but...that doesn’t really sound like us. 

Okay. We'll let our resident lawyer figure out the IP for the term, then

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Hilarious, I love it.

If you read some of the pundits or posts on these boards you would think that all these qbs are going to be great ones.  It is hilarious. 

The majority of drafted qbs fail.  This class will be no different.  

Quite true. The rub is... which ones will succeed?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Quite true. The rub is... which ones will succeed?

I wish I knew.  But you have to play the odds and other than Lawrence all these qbs have multiple question marks and so the odds are against them.  And if teams add the pressure of having quick success by drafting them high, or worse, trading up for them, then you really are setting yourself up for failure.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I wish I knew.  But you have to play the odds and other than Lawrence all these qbs have multiple question marks and so the odds are against them.  And if teams add the pressure of having quick success by drafting them high, or worse, trading up for them, then you really are setting yourself up for failure.  

I'm always a big proponent of the rookie QB sitting a year so they can see how it's done in the NFL. Most of the more hugely successful QBs, IIRC, didn't start right away.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm always a big proponent of the rookie QB sitting a year so they can see how it's done in the NFL. Most of the more hugely successful QBs, IIRC, didn't start right away.

That’s right. Thankfully we have Heinicke to hold down the fort for a year if we draft a QB high, or at least I hope he holds up enough to hold down the fort.

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Really rooting for this kid! 👍

It’d really be awesome if he or Allen take a huge jump and become a long term answer for us. I think it’s unlikely to happen, but it’d be awesome if it did happen!

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/ron-rivera-were-going-to-explore-all-the-options-out-there-at-quarterback/

But the Football Team attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford before the Lions agreed to trade him to the Rams, indicating the club isn’t content to stand pat at QB.

During his Wednesday press conference, head coach Ron Rivera said Washington has time to come up with a solution.

“We’re going through this process. Free agency starts next week. The draft is in 50 days, I understand. So we still have time, and we’re going to continue to explore all the options that are out there,” Rivera said. “I get it, you guys want answers, but we don’t have answers for you right now because we’re still working through the process. Again, we’ve got a lot of time with free agency next week and the draft in 50 days.”