Next Year’s QB

TOUCAN

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Tom was average in TB. Think of all the weapons he had. He should have blown his Randy Moss season numbers out of the water. He clearly regressed to the point that in a game that should have been super easy, Taylor Heinicke outdueled him. 

I do think having someone who is well equipped preparation-wise at the QB position would do wonders for our offense. I fully believe Ben could do what Tom did, for TB, here. 

Again, just my opinion. 

I guess so, because it was a Top 3 season for him statistically. And a tied-Top 3 INTs thrown season. None of this screams he's reverted to game manager. I mean he hasn't thrown for 40 TDs in a season SINCE his Randy Moss year. 

As far as Heinicke "outdueling" him - I'm not sure I buy that metric either. Toe to toe? Okay I'll give you that. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, RSkinGM said:

That's an interesting stat. 22 players all drafted in the first round, none still on their original team.

I may have looked over someone, but I believe the QBs from the rest of the rounds are:

• 2012 Russell Wilson (Seattle) [rumors he wants out]
  • 2014 Derek Carr (Oakland/Las Vegas) [possibly on the trade block]
  • 2016 Dak Prescott (Dallas) [in the middle of a contract dispute; minor chance hits free agency this year]

That's three out of 84 picks. So, while better than 0%, not that much better. Also, the first round picks actually played for their teams in some variety. Probably the majority of the 2-7 rounders barely have anything to show for on a stat sheet.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:32 AM, turtle28 said:

The idea with Darnold is untapped potential I equate it to when the Packers traded for Favre.

1. Brett Favre was a second round pick for Atlanta (33rd overall). Sam Darnold was drafted 3rd overall.
  2. Brett Favre was drafted before modern free agency existed. Per Wikipedia, his rookie contract was a 3 year, $1.4M contract with a $350K signing bonus.(1) Sam Darnold signed a 4 year, $30M contract with the Jets.
  3. During Brett Favre's rookie year, he threw four passes.(2) During Sam Darnold's rookie year, he threw 414 passes.
  4. Brett Favre was traded after his rookie year. If Sam Darnold was to be traded, it would be before his fourth season in the league.
  5. Brett Favre sat behind Don Majkowski, and only got to play when the "Majik Man" first was benched in the second half of the second game of the 1992 season (3) and then when Majkowski tore a ligament in his ankle in the following game. Sam Darnold was given the starting job from the jump.

So, yeah, other than the fact that the Packers and the rest of the NFL had little to no idea who Brett Favre would become versus watching Darnold flounder for three years with a contract from being the 3rd overall pick that is going to be expiring in terms of value, sure they're the same.

(1) Amazing what the CBA did huh? Accounting for inflation, that's just slightly better than what a UDFA 3 year contract ($2.035M for all accrued seasons vs. $2.689M in 2021 dollars).
(2) Fun trivia fact #1: Brett Favre's first career pass in the NFL was a pick six ... to Washington during their Super Bowl run. The pick went to Andre Collins if you care. The game ended 56-17. Those were the days.
(3) Fun trivia fact #2: in that first game with the Packers, Brett Favre completed his first pass of his NFL career ... to Brett Favre for -7 yards. The rest of the game did not go well for Brett. Green Bay only managed a total of 106 yards of passing offense.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, RSkinGM said:

Just reading that Mac Jones is on the rise. Won't get past #8 Carolina-unless they get Watson. 

He’s been a favorite of mine, I never understood why people weren’t putting him as a top 15 pick. Accurate & executing the same offense that Tua was in better than Tua did the last year and a half

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, I think just Lance, his resume is basically non-existent which is a major problem for team taking a risk with a top 10 pick on him.

Fields stock is going to take a hit because of where he played. It’s not right but it’s going to happen. If we don’t pick Lance at 19 I don’t think he goes in the first round. I’m not buying that teams are going to be okay picking him off of so little tape and in a lower tier division. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Fields stock is going to take a hit because of where he played. It’s not right but it’s going to happen. If we don’t pick Lance at 19 I don’t think he goes in the first round. I’m not buying that teams are going to be okay picking him off of so little tape and in a lower tier division. 

We’ll see. If so I think that’s ridiculous, Fields would’ve been the same QB if he had played at Georgia the last 2 years. I’ll continuously say it’s about the prospect, not about the school where they played.

For Lance’s sake, I hope you’re right but I think there are a lot questions surrounding him. He obviously has a strong arm & is athletic but he needs a lot of development.

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Kiper’s mock today has five QBs going well before our draft spot, and having NE trade up for him. If we want to draft a QB, I think we have to make a trade up. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We’ll see. If so I think that’s ridiculous, Fields would’ve been the same QB if he had played at Georgia the last 2 years. I’ll continuously say it’s about the prospect, not about the school where they played.

For Lance’s sake, I hope you’re right but I think there are a lot questions surrounding him. He obviously has a strong arm & is athletic but he needs a lot of development.

Maybe this year, but 2019 would have been the same James Coley uninspired offense.   

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Kiper’s mock today has five QBs going well before our draft spot, and having NE trade up for him. If we want to draft a QB, I think we have to make a trade up. 

Which is why I don't want to trade up for a QB.

For what it would cost to move up for a QB, we could trade same amount of compensation for a already HOF QB. Instead of for a guy we hope isn't Heath Shuler.

As much as I like WR's D. Smith, Waddle & Chase? The same applies to them.

Why trade up for them, when Allen Robinson, Godwin, etc. Could be available in FA.

I advocate sitting tight at 19 & let the draft come to us.

Not chase players up the board...