Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

On 12/5/2017 at 7:17 AM, Packerraymond said:

I've never said he should do anything, I said I don't want to hear his subtle, "we need to make sure we're all in" jabs if he decides to go for the max amount of money. I loved that he said that last off-season, and with the contract he has now he has every right to say it, but there's no question in my mind we'll have some big holes on the team if he asks for all he can, and that's a result of his contract.

Rodgers is in a really tough spot because he's The One that all of the other agents are looking at to set the bar on QB deals. His agent will get hammered by the other agents if he doesn't bring home the bacon. And for agents, this is huge in terms of winning their next clients. The agent doesn't give a rats arse about the Packers or winning or stocking the roster. His only goal is to save face and to write the biggest, bestest deal possible and then trumpet it across the internet.

Andrew Brandt has written quite often about players deserving fully guaranteed contracts, and he's pointed at Rodgers and other elites as the guys who can breach that wall. More pressure

Aaron is also super competitive, he isn't going to want to take a less-then-awesome deal. They can do things with structure and bonus based on performance etc, but there is sooooo much at stake across the league that the pressure to squeeze every last dime is going to be hard to overcome.

Not impossible, but difficult just the same.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Rodgers is in a really tough spot because he's The One that all of the other agents are looking at to set the bar on QB deals. His agent will get hammered by the other agents if he doesn't bring home the bacon. And for agents, this is huge in terms of winning their next clients. The agent doesn't give a rats arse about the Packers or winning or stocking the roster. His only goal is to save face and to write the biggest, bestest deal possible and then trumpet it across the internet.

Andrew Brandt has written quite often about players deserving fully guaranteed contracts, and he's pointed at Rodgers and other elites as the guys who can breach that wall. More pressure

Aaron is also super competitive, he isn't going to want to take a less-then-awesome deal. They can do things with structure and bonus based on performance etc, but there is sooooo much at stake across the league that the pressure to squeeze every last dime is going to be hard to overcome.

Not impossible, but difficult just the same.

I don't think this is the case anymore, if it isn't Rodgers it will be Cousin's, Wentz, Goff, etc. Rodgers will be the same as when he signed that last deal, highest paid for a bit but not long. If guys like Stafford can get 27 per, Rodgers is realistically worth well over 30. 

Next off-season I'd offer Aaron a 100/4 fully guaranteed deal and see if he takes it. Risk on both parties, we assume a fully guaranteed deal until Aaron is 39, but get a per year savings, Rodgers takes a per year pay cut, but becomes the first NFL player to get a fully guaranteed deal and breaks the record for most guaranteed money in a deal.

The other part that plays into this contract is that some players/agents have talked about tying the deal to the cap. Rodgers would get some percentage of the cap and if the cap continues to grow, so does his deal. But right now we have declining ratings and the next TV contracts on the horizon will have to contemplate that reality. If I were Rodgers, I wouldn't tie future compensation to the cap, the growth rate is declining and its possible the cap actually stays flat a few years down the line

It happened the last time the CBA was re-negotiated and the NFL and NFLPA had to go through all kinds of gyrations to keep up the appearances of a growing pie

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

Well, just because you want to watch Aaron Rodgers play for what are seemingly 'pointless' games, at the end of the season, is nothing short of selfish and a dumb idea. 

It might be dumb to you but it isn't to his teammates.  If healthy why should he get preferential treatment when his teammates are out there busting their tails in "pointless" games?   

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Agreed.  Like I said earlier, I am more than ready to watch the best QB in the game play again even if we are eliminated from the post season.  B|  

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

It might be dumb to you but it isn't to his teammates.  If healthy why should he get preferential treatment when his teammates are out there busting their tails in "pointless" games?   

4 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Pugger, because he is the most important player to any team in the NFL. Because he had a serious injury to his throwing shoulder/collarbone and any further damage could potentially end his career...

That's true to literally any player in literally any game on literally any play.  Stupid reason to not let him play.  By that logic, every good player for the Browns should sit out now.  Garrett shouldn't play another snap until the first game, sit out every single game the Browns are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in, and so on and so forth.

And don't give me, "Derp, derp, Rodgers just broke his collarbone, so it's different." 

1. No player in the NFL is 100% right now, and every player has spots where one wrong hit will ruin their season, will ruin their career.
2. It's not like anybody is going to force Rodgers back at 70% healed.  You're dumb if you think Rodgers is going to play if he's not completely healed.

You don't want him to play because you want us to tank.  Admit it so we can stop this stupid argument. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's true to literally any player in literally any game on literally any play.  Stupid reason to not let him play.  By that logic, every good player for the Browns should sit out now.  Garrett shouldn't play another snap until the first game, sit out every single game the Browns are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in, and so on and so forth.

And don't give me, "Derp, derp, Rodgers just broke his collarbone, so it's different." 

1. No player in the NFL is 100% right now, and every player has spots where one wrong hit will ruin their season, will ruin their career.
2. It's not like anybody is going to force Rodgers back at 70% healed.  You're dumb if you think Rodgers is going to play if he's not completely healed.

You don't want him to play because you want us to tank.  Admit it so we can stop this stupid argument. 

I don't want us to tank, and if we lose to CLE, I don't want him to play. If I'm being honest.

18 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Pugger, because he is the most important player to any team in the NFL. Because he had a serious injury to his throwing shoulder/collarbone and any further damage could potentially end his career...

That's a bit dramatic .. it's a collarbone injury, and not a torn labrum or rotator cuff.  He's already throwing the ball around like nothing happened.  

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Then you're stupid, Norm. 

If we lose to CLE at that point I'd rather go 6-10 than the 8-8 Rodgers probably delivers us to. I've never rooted for the Packers to lose, but if you drop one to a team that's 1-27 in the last two seasons I'll be ready for some changes and an impact draft pick.

Archived