Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

If there wasn't a history of not revealing information to the last possible minute to try and gain a competitive advantage I would be really concerned that he had his scan and they had to send it to experts across the country and if it was clearly healed they would have just announced it. That to me perhaps indicates that it hasn't fully healed but they are assessing whether he can actually play with it.

But like I said we know there is a lot of gamesmanship in this sport so it could be healed and they want to disrupt the Panthers game-planning process.

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

If there wasn't a history of not revealing information to the last possible minute to try and gain a competitive advantage I would be really concerned that he had his scan and they had to send it to experts across the country and if it was clearly healed they would have just announced it. That to me perhaps indicates that it hasn't fully healed but they are assessing whether he can actually play with it.

But like I said we know there is a lot of gamesmanship in this sport so it could be healed and they want to disrupt the Panthers game-planning process.

There's 0 chance it's 100% healed. That's why they sent it out, seek multiple opinions. Is it healed enough to the point where plate/screws + bone healing make it close to 100%.

The plate might be the MVP of this season if he plays. Last time he had no plate, that's why it took as long if not longer for him to come back from a much less severe break.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's 0 chance it's 100% healed. That's why they sent it out, seek multiple opinions. Is it healed enough to the point where plate/screws + bone healing make it close to 100%.

The plate might be the MVP of this season if he plays. Last time he had no plate, that's why it took as long if not longer for him to come back from a much less severe break.

Last time he was out 8 weeks, if he plays Sunday this time he will of been out 9 weeks.

Wilde has a nice piece with Woodson discussing his broke collarbone. And Woodson said it’s likely not 100%... but that it doesn’t need to be to be classified as healed. It was something he said he worried about when coming back. That it’s healed but not.

woodson believe the toughest thing for Rodgers will just be the mental part... taking a hit, worrying about falling the way he did when injuried, etc.

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Last time he was out 8 weeks, if he plays Sunday this time he will of been out 9 weeks.

Wilde has a nice piece with Woodson discussing his broke collarbone. And Woodson said it’s likely not 100%... but that it doesn’t need to be to be classified as healed. It was something he said he worried about when coming back. That it’s healed but not.

woodson believe the toughest thing for Rodgers will just be the mental part... taking a hit, worrying about falling the way he did when injuried, etc.

I wonder if his collarbone now will be stronger than it was with those screws and plates in there?

If Rodgers is cleared, he needs to be cognizant of his ability outside of the pocket. One of the abilities that makes him so special is his ability to extend the play with his uncanny pocket awareness or scrambling ability. That gift is also a curse though, as it's exposed him to a higher likelihood of injury. He needs to protect himself from himself.  

Rodgers, eligible to be activated this week after seriously impressing at practice for two weeks, is pushing very hard to play. Wednesday will mark a key moment for Rodgers as the team starts its practice prep for Sunday's game against the Panthers, and Green Bay hopes to have a call by then. Rodgers has targeted Week 15 as the date of his return and is fighting to be on the field. It's not that simple.

The Packers and other voices with whom they are consulting are being far more cautious. While everyone wants Rodgers to play, their thinking is more long-term. He is the franchise, he'll be their QB for years to come, and there is still a steep uphill climb to the playoffs -- though a recent win streak did help.

As Packers doctor Pat McKenzie and other experts evaluate the scan, the decision was described as a "risk/reward" decision.

If only Rodgers was the great Martellus Bennett. Then we'd know for sure they'd be pushing him to play

I've become like pavlov's dog whenever I see a DeltaRich update post around here....:)

also from rappoport:

"The bone isn't fully healed -- and there was no chance it was going to be after two months. That was the expectation. Typically, 80-percent healed is healthy enough to be on the field. And Rodgers chose a surgical procedure involving two plates and 13 screws as an aggressive way of accelerating healing and protecting his throwing shoulder."

It's a collarbone though, I guess it would be different if we're talking about muscles/ligaments in the elbow/shoulder of the throwing arm. The collarbone can't break at the plate, it can only break on the edges. And if it did fracture again the season is over and he comes back next year.

I don't know why I keep reading these "small hope/outside shot/little chance" of a postseason birth. We win out just about every source I've seen has us at well over 80% odds to make the playoffs. Those aren't small.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's a collarbone though, I guess it would be different if we're talking about muscles/ligaments in the elbow/shoulder of the throwing arm. The collarbone can't break at the plate, it can only break on the edges. And if it did fracture again the season is over and he comes back next year.

I don't know why I keep reading these "small hope/outside shot/little chance" of a postseason birth. We win out just about every source I've seen has us at well over 80% odds to make the playoffs. Those aren't small.

No doubt .. it's a collarbone injury .. big deal.  He's playing .. the Packers are just stringing everyone along.  

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So that puts us at about an 8% chance of making the playoffs (80% * 60% vs lions * 40% vs Vikings * 45% vs Carolina)

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

So that puts us at about an 8% chance of making the playoffs (80% * 60% vs lions * 40% vs Vikings * 45% vs Carolina)

It comes down to this weekend in my opinion.  If we beat Carolina then we are winning out.  And 80% is high, but looking at the other wild card's schedules, it's hard imagining we don't get in if we win out. I think it'll be us and whomever wins that Atlanta/Carolina game. 

Archived