Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

16 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

I want a lot of things. 

Like, perhaps we can get him to join an amateur spring league somewhere. That way we could like, watch him play more and stuff. 

Sure!  Maybe you should start a thread titled, "Things that don't have anything to do with NFL football" or "What I talk about when I'm trying to change the subject."   For myself, I like to post videos of the old Errol Morris High Life commercials when I'm trying insert a non sequitar argument.  But go with your recreational activity idea if you like!

On 12/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, Packer_ESP said:

Morale, pride, culture of winning, live reps which can help determine what to do with Nelson / Cobb this summer...

You make excuses to hold out your QB because the playoffs are out of reach, you're opening the door for the culture of losing. Next thing you know players might check out of games that seem out of reach or give up midseason next year if things aren't going well. You always try to win every single game and every single drive, that's all there is to it imo. I believe it's the same reason why MM doesn't typically pull Rodgers out in blowout losses, only in blowout wins.

Yes!  So some want the organization to act like Martellus Bennett and make an arbitrary decision on when to QUIT! 

I understand the draft order conversation and that's fine for us fans, but when a team starts using the 'healthy scratch' on your only AllPro?  Now you've chosen to descend.  Don't outsmart yourselves into a bad decision.  If ARod is cleared he should play.  There are more evaluations to be made and we can't get an accurate read on things with Hundley at the controls. We need to make a decision involving Jordy and Cobb and we can't do that without ARod.  Jordy just might have went over the edge, he hasn't gotten separation for weeks and Cobb has disappeared.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, Packerraymond said:

If we lose Sunday though, I'm sure something could "turn up" in his MRI that isn't really there. I'm not sure other than stats what Rodgers benefit of coming back to a 6-7 team are anyway. He knows he'd be taking us out of a top 12 pick and risk any sort of injury that will send him to the off-season at less than 100%.

This is pathetic. I seriously hope there isn't anyone on the Packers' staff that would support this type of thinking, and if there is I hope they lose their job. And who cares if Rodgers isn't 100% going into the off-season, he'll have 6+ months to recover.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:26 PM, Packerraymond said:

I'd rather see 2018 Rodgers with Arden Key or Bradley Chubb than Harold Landry or Dorance Armstrong. That's my reasoning. You think the difference between 6-10 and 8-8 is 1 pick? Try 8 probably. You're talking the difference between where the Marshon Lattimore/Derek Barnett's of last year's draft  went to the Jarad Davis/ Charles Harris. Consensus 1st rounders to  fringe guys. Plus heaven forbid anything happened to him related to or unrelated to the collarbone in a game that was only played for pride, that would really suck.

It's also the difference between Lattimore/Barnett and Tre'Davious White/Tak McKinley, which isn't much of a difference. Unless you can guarantee that Key and Chubb aren't the next Dion Jordan and Barkavious Mingo - who were also consensus 1st rounders - I'll take two more wins over eight spots in the draft, especially if one of those wins is a home win against the Vikings that knocks them out of a first round bye.

8 hours ago, LargeFarva said:

This is pathetic. I seriously hope there isn't anyone on the Packers' staff that would support this type of thinking, and if there is I hope they lose their job. And who cares if Rodgers isn't 100% going into the off-season, he'll have 6+ months to recover.

I really, really hate this train of thought.  Does anyone really think that trotting out Aaron Rodgers out for some meaningless game is worth risking his health for?  I mean, it's no different than asking Rodgers to play 90%+ of the snaps of a preseason game.  The Packers are currently 2 GB out of a playoff spot with 4 games remaining.  In theory, at the end of Sunday the Packers could be 3 GB.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Does anyone really think that trotting out Aaron Rodgers out for some meaningless game is worth risking his health for?

The health risk will be assessed by the people with the skills to make health assessments. If he is cleared to play, then that means the risk is less than the reward. AR can decide what he wants to do. Aaron's a wicked smart dude, he knows way more than any of us and ultimately its his body and his future.

But he also has deep relationships with his team mates who are risking their asses despite the season taking a turn. Shared sacrifice is one of the keystones of building a winning culture and a championship squad. Leaders lead by leading, not by displaying self-preservation and sitting on the bench because the W/L column isn't where it needs to be. "That's a polluted mindset"  B|

He himself asked everybody to be all in, can't really do that as a healthy scratch.... I will certainly respect his decision either way, but elite athletes don't give a rats arse about potential draft slots. Mostly just the draftniks and weaksauce tent- folders think like that.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The health risk will be assessed by the people with the skills to make health assessments. If he is cleared to play, then that means the risk is less than the reward. AR can decide what he wants to do. Aaron's a wicked smart dude, he knows way more than any of us and ultimately its his body and his future.

So...you're okay with them trotting him out to play a meaningless game even if he's cleared to play?

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...you're okay with them trotting him out to play a meaningless game even if he's cleared to play?

Yes, if he is cleared to play.  I suspect he might be less likely to break it again with those plates and screws in there.  

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Yes, if he is cleared to play.  I suspect he might be less likely to break it again with those plates and screws in there.  

To me, that's crazy.  There's no upside to playing him.  We might as well play him in all 4 preseason games while we're at it.  The only thing we'd be doing would be hurting how high our draft pick would be.

Just now, CWood21 said:

To me, that's crazy.  There's no upside to playing him.  We might as well play him in all 4 preseason games while we're at it.  The only thing we'd be doing would be hurting how high our draft pick would be.

Yes, we might be hurting our draft pick position but coaches and players don't give a rip about that right now.   I'm fairly certain Mike will have him start as soon as he is cleared by the doctors.  If it is healed he will be just as prone to break it now as he would be next season.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Taking the pressure off some coaches as well when they should be under some scrutiny.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Preseason is for evaluating players and determining those that warrant being kept on the 53 man roster or cut.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't agree that regular season games are meaningless or that they're comparable to preseason games. I don't care where the Packers are drafting next year or how the outcome of this season's games might "hurt" that pick. I would bet that the vast majority - maybe all - of NFL players and coaches agree with those views.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That is a ridiculous comparison.  You start with intentional tanking and you enter a slippery slope. NFL careers are short enough, now you want him to sit out?  I've always appreciated your take on things, but you are way wrong on this one.  You're outsmarting yourself.  How do you ask the rest of the team to play to win when you won't ask it of your best player?  You lose the locker room with that one decision.

1 hour ago, LargeFarva said:

I don't agree that regular season games are meaningless or that they're comparable to preseason games. I don't care where the Packers are drafting next year or how the outcome of this season's games might "hurt" that pick. I would bet that the vast majority - maybe all - of NFL players and coaches agree with those views.

Players, yes. Players want their team to have the worst draft position possible so they're less likely to lose their jobs.

Coaches would rather lose if their job was safe (When in a position that the playoffs are unattainable). You see push back when jobs are on the line. 

When players/coaches are doing something that hurts the long term health of the team, it's the job of the General Manager to correct that behavior. You never ask a player to play anything less than 100%, but you make it clear to your coaches that you're shutting things down for the year. Mike Daniels sits with his aching back and Dean Lowry plays a ton of snaps. Clay and Perry sit out with their various maladies and Fackrell/Biegel carry heavy reps. Burnett/HHCD sit out and Jones/Brice get some experience. That ensures losses to help draft position while helping the team for next year. Depth guys get game time reps so they're not overwhelmed when thrown to the fire next year. 

Archived