NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I already explained that. He doesn't know how to play defense yet and those without games included Poole emerging with Oubre getting hurt. 

That's not how you should judge rookies. Having plus player rookies is very difficult, especially bigs. That's why fans want the lotto picks traded since it takes them some time to be effective and there's not any time to waste with the current core. 

Wiseman is a raw rim running/paint protecting big in a league that is transitioning away from traditional bigs. As I said before he honestly benefited from sitting out his freshman season at Memphis because there wasn't any tape on him which created more intrigue. 

Even before he got to Memphis one thing that scouts said about Wiseman was that he wanted to play like Chris Bosh/Anthony Davis but his skill-set was closer to someone like Clint Capela. 

The Warriors title teams have had traditional centers but in clutch time one of the things that has made the Warriors so good was their ability to go small with Draymond at the 5 without sacrificing anything defensively. Assuming Wiseman is on the team and he's healthy, he kind of puts Kerr in a weird spot because he almost has to play him since the team just drafted him #2 overall. 

And yeah if the Warriors keep both picks along with Wiseman/Wiggins it kind of signals that they're playing the long game rather than trying to capitalize on their title window with Steph/Klay/Draymond. Having the #7/#14 picks this year is kind of a weird spot to be in because after the top 5-6 players there really isn't a ton separating the level of player that they'll land at #7 and #14.  

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Wiggins is also only under contract for the next 2 seasons. So if you're a rebuilding, small market team that trades for him you're likely going to have to massively overpay him again or lose him in free agency. 

What?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What?

If Golden State trades Wiggins to a team like Washington, Sacramento, Orlando, Cleveland, or even Portland. Smaller market teams that are either currently in rebuild mode or would be pressing the restart button by trading for Wiggins, it's pretty unlikely that they're going to be competitive within the next two seasons. And with Wiggins going to a worse team and having a bigger role I'd assume he'd put up better numbers. Like we saw in Minnesota where he had a couple of 22-24 ppg seasons on decent efficiency. 

So that team would be trading for Wiggins on a 2 year deal where he'd put up empty stats on a bad team and then be set to hit free agency. So as a small market team they'd likely either have to commit to Wiggins with a long-term, overpaid contract to keep him or I'd assume that he'd leave in free agency. Could definitely see a team like the Knicks giving him a 28 year old Wiggins coming off of two good years a sizeable deal after they whiff on other top free agents. And I don't really think that Wiggins would want to stay in a small market on a non competitive team unless they were going to overpay him, which is pretty much what small market teams always have to do to retain guys either way. 

More or less the same situation that the Knicks will be in with Julius Randle this year/next off-season. Is he worth a max deal or near max money, hell no. But is that what they're going to have to pay him to retain him? Yes. Because he just put up a bunch of empty stats on a so-so team and if they don't do it someone else will. 

That drives his trade value down even further in my eyes.

Edited by NYRaider

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Golden State trades Wiggins to a team like Washington, Sacramento, Orlando, Cleveland, or even Portland. Smaller market teams that are either currently in rebuild mode or would be pressing the restart button by trading for Wiggins, it's pretty unlikely that they're going to be competitive within the next two seasons. And with Wiggins going to a worse team and having a bigger role I'd assume he'd put up better numbers. Like we saw in Minnesota where he had a couple of 22-24 ppg seasons on decent efficiency. 

So that team would be trading for Wiggins on a 2 year deal where he'd put up empty stats on a bad team and then be set to hit free agency. So as a small market team they'd likely either have to commit to Wiggins with a long-term, overpaid contract to keep him or I'd assume that he'd leave in free agency. Could definitely see a team like the Knicks giving him a 28 year old Wiggins coming off of two good years a sizeable deal after they whiff on other top free agents. And I don't really think that Wiggins would want to stay in a small market on a non competitive team unless they were going to overpay him, which is pretty much what small market teams always have to do to retain guys either way. 

More or less the same situation that the Knicks will be in with Julius Randle this year/next off-season. Is he worth a max deal or near max money, hell no. But is that what they're going to have to pay him to retain him? Yes. Because he just put up a bunch of empty stats on a so-so team and if they don't do it someone else will. 

That drives his trade value down even further in my eyes.

Yea he’s really one of the worst players in the league when you think about it. 

This is the worst thing you can do as a GM. Keep or acquire a scrub player that’s overpaid solely because some crap team is willing to max him. 

OKC did this with Kanter and it drove KD away. It was a joke to match that 85M contract after we refused to go into the luxury tax for Harden.

What are the chances we see Jerami Grant traded during the draft? Omari Sankofa II: Very slim. The Pistons signed Grant expecting him to be on the roster when they contend for a playoff spot. He’s viewed as a core piece whose best basketball is still ahead. Grant’s trust in Weaver is so strong that he left a contending Denver Nuggets team to bet on himself and join a rebuilding team.

The Pistons aren’t eager to trade a player who wants to be in Detroit, is coming off a breakout season and is close to their GM. They want to compete, and it’s tough to envision a Grant trade that would get them closer to the 2022 playoffs.

@Sllim Pickens

Edited by NYRaider

“The most interesting thing [about the NBA Finals] has been watching Deandre Ayton,” Kerr said Thursday afternoon on 95.7 The Game’s “Damon, Ratto & Kolsky” show. “I talk to James and text him. I’m just so inspired by what Ayton has been able to do. And I think there’s no reason why James can’t follow that same path. “[The Suns] really streamlined his game. You think back a couple years ago and he was kind of all over the map. You could tell how gifted he was, but you weren’t exactly sure what he was. They’ve figured it out.

“I’m watching Ayton quite a bit and I’m thinking a lot about how we can use James and simplify the game and make him really effective for us next year.” Ayton is averaging 15.8 points, 12.2 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 0.8 steals through 20 playoff games, while shooting 68 percent overall and 69 percent from the free throw line. He also has vastly improved as a defender, which is something the Warriors definitely will need from Wiseman.

@J-ALL-DAY 

Even if Beal is interested in extending with Washington, he can re-sign with them for that same amount in the 2022 offseason plus an additional season worth $53.5 million in 2026-27. With that option available later, perhaps Beal decides to play things out and keep his options open. Probability of extending: Weak.

05e025999db0cf6343b27e6f3e678424.jpg

“Look, we are always honest with guys too. I have talked to Andrew’s agent many, many times over the last year, and he will call and say ‘hey, you know I’m hearing this’ and I’m always [to Andrew] like ‘look, you should feel very comfortable here, you are very well-liked. Am I going to tell you that you will never get traded at any point? No, I would never tell anybody that,” the Warriors exec detailed.

“We tell everyone that,” he continued. “We never want to lie to someone. Now that doesn’t mean that is what they want to hear, but we don’t want to lie to a player or agent because that looks bad if something does happen, even if it is a remote chance.”

So it sounds like the Warriors are likely going to keep Wiggins and Wiseman. If that's the case they should try to package their picks to move up. 

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I get he wants to be here but if he can bring back some value, I’d flip him.  We won’t be championship contenders this year so who cares about an 8 seed. Cade or Green will take time to develop. Grant won’t be here for the real run unless he wants to sign a similar deal which he won’t.  But I don’t expect him to be moved this year unless it’s at the deadline and we are out of it. 

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They are two different types of players but Wiseman is definitely talented. It just may be better for him to properly develop on another team though as this regime hasn't really been known to developing young players. 

The time is ticking on a potential Wiseman/Wiggins/Picks trade with the draft only 10 days away.

The Golden State Warriors are intrigued with acquiring Collin Sexton but it would not net the Cleveland Cavaliers someone like James Wiseman or the no. 7 pick in this year’s draft, per sources. The upcoming extension and his overall fit make teams hesitant to acquire him.

More on this – Cleveland could get pick no. 14 for Sexton and then try and trade 3, 14, and 1-2 future firsts to Detroit for the ability to take Cade Cunningham. Again, like the talks with New York and Miami everything remains fluid but the Sexton trade front is heating up.

@J-ALL-DAY @Sllim Pickens @H2ThaIzzo

Looks like the Jazz are preparing to make a major roster shakeup. 

Multiple league sources indicated this week that the Jazz were open to trade discussions. The consensus is that Derrick Favors is not only available, but Utah is eager to move him to clear his roughly $20 million in remaining salary (including a $10 million player option for 2022-23)

However, sources suggested that Bojan Bogdanovic and Joe Ingles were also bandied about as available if the Jazz could get a significant upgrade, which would be a major shakeup for the team, especially with Mike Conley headed to unrestricted free agency this summer.