What are you thinking about?

pwny

How do you get teenagers to lose weight?

I get a phone call from my sister at 11 PM last night. My nephew just turned 13 years old in October and is 5'6/5'7, 212 pounds according to his doctor visit.

I was about 5'8 175 his age, but I joined football in 7th grade. I lost a ton of baby fat from playing football those last two years in middle school. I was 5'11 180 going into high school.

He weighs now as much as I did as my Sophomore year in College.

He hates sports outside of Baseball and he hasn't shown any desire to play post pandemic.

I live 4 hours away and my sister/ his mom works 10+hours a day. He lives with our parents and they let him eat whatever he wants. When I go home for weekends he wont workout with me and is always on video games/ you tube.  I told my sister she has to start losing weight herself for him to take it serious. But I honestly have no clue. 

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

17 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

I get a phone call from my sister at 11 PM last night. My nephew just turned 13 years old in October and is 5'6/5'7, 212 pounds according to his doctor visit.

I was about 5'8 175 his age, but I joined football in 7th grade. I lost a ton of baby fat from playing football those last two years in middle school. I was 5'11 180 going into high school.

He hates sports outside of Baseball and he hasn't shown any desire to play post pandemic.

I live 4 hours away and my sister/ his mom works 10+hours a day. He lives with our parents and they let him eat whatever he wants. When I go home for weekends he wont workout with me and is always on video games/ you tube.  I told my sister she has to start losing weight herself for him to take it serious. But I honestly have no clue. 

Tell his parents not to buy or serve any carbs or snacks (that arent healthy). Try and cut out most sugar too. I would bet even without exercise he would lose about 5 lbs a week. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

Your parents are going to have to force good eating habits. Plenty of non-active people arent over weight, but they do weight management through food. 

The other option is maybe motivate him by showing the benefits of a healthier body - though that is a tricky line because it can turn into fat shaming super quick. "Girls like dudes with decent bodies" "oh, so girls wont like me cause I am fat"... You see what I am saying.

• Like 2

Decided I’m only buying necessities for a while so I can put all my money into making my new house how I want it but then I just saw the theater next to my work has Dennis Quaid playing live for $75 and I feel like I need to see it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

One thing that could help is to go shopping with your parents. Help in showing them healthy alternatives or the same thing in a lesser calorie form.

My kids were younger than that and I found them little random jobs to do. I know its real hard for you being 4 hours away. But with it being Autumn. Maybe your parents know some their age that need to rake the falling leaves for example.

How about local centers that have fitness classes, dance or martial arts for youth? Maybe find something a couple of his friends are into like Karate or just anything. All kinds of programs like hiking parties, biking groups, rafting, archery. Its surprising how much is out there. Its what my woman does for a living. She has a plain fitness class twice a week for youth that pulls in min a dozen.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Your parents are going to have to force good eating habits. Plenty of non-active people arent over weight, but they do weight management through food. 

The other option is maybe motivate him by showing the benefits of a healthier body - though that is a tricky line because it can turn into fat shaming super quick. "Girls like dudes with decent bodies" "oh, so girls wont like me cause I am fat"... You see what I am saying.

Are you telling me. When Im yelling "Fat lazy Americans" at yall that someone might actually be offended?

Aint buying that. Or Id have doubled-down long ago. 😜

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Dads- what is something you did/wish you had done before you had kids?

Used birth control? 

*edit* 

Damn, Matts beat me to it. 

The most common answer you'll get is probably traveling because I'm in lockstep with Matts there as well. Traveling starts to get considerably more expensive for your average person (and it's expensive enough already if you like to travel outside of the country) when you have to account for that third person, and it's also harder to adjust around another schedule once they are in school and things like that. 

Other than that, honestly, I wish I had some of the ability to be foolish or carefree in a general sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Do you feel like those are things you can't do now with kids, or things you would have enjoyed more without them along for the trip?

Both. Taking kids on a trip like that would be wasted on them. To young to appreciate it. Plus it would be more fun to do as a 20 year old me than a 40 year old me. Well, maybe not more fun, but more wild. 

It might be a fun trip for me to take them on while they are in college though. 

• Like 1