What are you thinking about?

pwny

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you're against something that helps others because it doesn't help you, or it wasn't available when you had the same burden and don't get to utilize it, its a sad commentary on who you are as a person.

This is where I’m at.

You’re right, the whole “what about me” aspect is sad. 

It’s selfish, sort sighted and gross.. but unfortunately not unexpected. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Isn't that everyone though?  Those who took out student loans want their debt to magically go away and the people who weren't fortunate enough to go to college or paid them off already don't want the government magically wiping out others' loans.  And none of that addressed the runaway cost of college which is the root of the problem.  This just seemed ill-advised from the start.

Definitely not me.

I don’t have student debt because I went to community college got my AA and decided I hated school too much to keep going.

But I don’t want others to have to pay for their debt because they went and did what they were told they HAD to do since they were in kindergarten.

Then they realize a college degree doesn’t mean **** or even guarantee a livable wage? 

**** that.

“The system” made promises it couldn’t keep (like that wasn’t the plan all along) so it shouldn’t get to collect the interest. And IMO they shouldn’t get the principle either. Students got the degrees like they were told, the system failed them

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

I guess Dome and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum.  Between my two kids, wife and our PLUS loans, we could have had over $60K forgiven today.  But I'm old-fashioned in that I believe people should pay back loans they borrow, me and my family included in that. 

And yeah, I had trouble drumming up sympathy for the poor couple making a quarter million a year who was going to get their debt forgiven.  I'm not sure who came up with those income levels but they were outrageously high.  I'm all for helping people in need.  College graduates earning a quarter million a year aren't my definition of "in need".  

At any rate, they just shot down the HEROES Act justification so Congress is still able to enact legislation that would provide relief.  I hope they do a much better job of targeting the truly needy.

Just now, titanrick said:

And yeah, I had trouble drumming up sympathy for the poor couple making a quarter million a year who was going to get their debt forgiven.  I'm not sure who came up with those income levels but they were outrageously high.  I'm all for helping people in need.  College graduates earning a quarter million a year aren't my definition of "in need". 

Best college grad income post since the $175k thread tbqh.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

10 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I guess Dome and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum.  Between my two kids, wife and our PLUS loans, we could have had over $60K forgiven today.  But I'm old-fashioned in that I believe people should pay back loans they borrow, me and my family included in that. 

At any rate, they just shot down the HEROES Act justification so Congress is still able to enact legislation that would provide relief.  I hope they do a much better job of targeting the truly needy.

if “well what about this family who is moderately successful??? Should THEY be given forgiven as well????” is the best you can come up with, then I feel pretty good about my support. 

If targeting the truly needy let’s some people in who aren’t truly needy, well that’s still a big W for the needy people.

“I don’t support in helping others because someone could take advantage” is a gross mindset imo 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

People that schedule meetings at 4 pm on Friday's are the worst, right?

Unrelated, but does anyone know where to hide a dead body? Asking for a friend. 

I spent my morning in Baltimore. Full tour of The Harbor and West End.

Now. We have a little rental in NOLA. And watched thugs burn Paris lately.

Here is a graph I made comparing the 3.

k2MxWM2.jpg

Tell your friend you found a spot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Between me and my wife, we had about 35,000 worth of loans and paid them off 5 years ago or so

But im still glad people are getting it forgiven

But...we aren't...because we can forgive loans given to people who make millions of dollars per year, and kickbacks from corporations...but not the average citizen struggling to get by.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dome said:

if “well what about this family who is moderately successful??? Should THEY be given forgiven as well????”

I'm saying if they are writing the income limits, why did they choose such a ridiculous amount?  That's one issue I have with it.  There are more.  I wish they would have addressed the root cause and then done a much better job of helping those who really need it.  But if that makes me gross, so be it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

But...we aren't...because we can forgive loans given to people who make millions of dollars per year, and kickbacks from corporations...but not the average citizen struggling to get by.

I meant to say i support it if they were

9 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'm saying if they are writing the income limits, why did they choose such a ridiculous amount?  That's one issue I have with it.  There are more.  I wish they would have addressed the root cause and then done a much better job of helping those who really need it.  But if that makes me gross, so be it.

I only liked this post because of the last sentence.

1 hour ago, Dome said:

“I don’t support in helping others because someone could take advantage” is a gross mindset imo 

The legal history of the case is even more pathetic. Groups falling over themselves to pretend they had standing or impact when the reality was even if money was unlimited and free, there are people who think college is bad, and want to punish people who go.

Moving out rural has been eye opening.

• Like 1