Stand by Me Standings

vike daddy

39 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm not even concerned with his knee. My concern is that he hasn't even practiced in over 12 months. It doesn't matter how much film you watch or how many passes you throw on the sideline, that is a long time away from real football. It'll take time for him to get back to where he was.

Yep. 

This has actually been a worry for me up until this week with Detroit losing 3 straight. Say Rodgers never got hurt or Detroit didn't suddenly suck and both GB and DET are neck and neck with us for the division, could we have afforded those 2-3 games where Teddy is shaking off the rust?

As it stands now, we have a bit of breathing room in the division but there's not a game on the schedule where I'd feel more confident with rusty Teddy in there over Case.

I guess him starting vs. LA at home would be the best bet.

A part of me wouldn't mind the coaching staff thinking Teddy isn't read based on his practice. Then they shut him down until later in the season when we've locked the playoffs (or missed the playoffs) and he gets some play in meaningless games and he goes into 2018 with a full training camp and 4 pre-season games to shake off the rust when the games don't matter.

I happen to believe in the progress that I saw that 2016 preseason, and in Teddy progressing as a player. Yes, he'll be rusty, but this will also be his first time in an offense suited to his strengths, and will be by far the best supporting cast he's ever had. The "average" Teddy we saw in his last meaningful game was a Blair Walsh miss from taking a Norv Turner offense based on AP running the ball into a wall of defenders with Kalil at LT to a 2nd playoff game.

I think he was on his way to being a franchise QB, and I think that the way this team is structured now gives him the best chance to work through whatever rust he has and continue on the path.

I also think that he will provide a significant lift to the locker room. In the end, I trust Zimmer and Shurmer to do the best thing, so when Teddy plays I think we will see an improved Vikings offense.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I happen to believe in the progress that I saw that 2016 preseason, and in Teddy progressing as a player. Yes, he'll be rusty, but this will also be his first time in an offense suited to his strengths, and will be by far the best supporting cast he's ever had. The "average" Teddy we saw in his last meaningful game was a Blair Walsh miss from taking a Norv Turner offense based on AP running the ball into a wall of defenders with Kalil at LT to a 2nd playoff game.

I think this is a key point too.

The change from Turner to Shurmur should help him. The talent increase should help him.

Obviously we don't know how he'll be once he gets on the field, but I'll trust the coaches and medical staff who saw the injury happen and saw how he recovered and saw how he's looked on the practice field these few weeks. If they say he's ready to go, why should I question them?

No one is guaranteeing he'll come back and be better than the 2016 preseason Teddy right off the bat. It might even be a slight step down initially. But if his floor as a healthy QB is already close to the ceiling of Case Keenum (which we've probably seen), why shouldn't they make the switch?

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Eyes on a bye

Getting the tiebreaker against Los Angeles could be key. I know I'm not high on how they've started, but they probably provide the biggest threat to get the bye of the remaining games on the schedule.

18 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Wild card standings look like they might end up being tight with lots of competition, so hopefully we can stay at the top of the division.

I'm not expecting much of a fight from Chicago and Green Bay. Detroit will probably hang around until the very end, which Is why i wouldn't mind seeing Green Bay win on Monday..

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm not expecting much of a fight from Chicago and Green Bay. Detroit will probably hang around until the very end, which Is why i wouldn't mind seeing Green Bay win on Monday..

Detroit needs to pick it up if they plan on hanging around.  

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Detroit needs to pick it up if they plan on hanging around.  

That's just who Detroit is though. But we need separation and they do have the best QB in the division (with Rodgers out). I could see them getting going but they need more losses while in a funk. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

That's just who Detroit is though. But we need separation and they do have the best QB in the division (with Rodgers out). I could see them getting going but they need more losses while in a funk. 

if we win the division and Detroit is fighting for a wildcard spot thankfully they already lost to Carolina and Atlanta.

27 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

if we win the division and Detroit is fighting for a wildcard spot thankfully they already lost to Carolina and Atlanta.

Wildcard will be tough this year. I think Seattle or LA are locked into one spot. NFC South has some talent and the division is wide open.

Dallas might catch Philly but are in a better  spot than Detroit for the WC.

basically, the NFC Norths path to the playoffs is winning the division.

Archived