Stand by Me Standings

vike daddy

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Wildcard will be tough this year. I think Seattle or LA are locked into one spot. NFC South has some talent and the division is wide open.

Dallas might catch Philly but are in a better  spot than Detroit for the WC.

basically, the NFC Norths path to the playoffs is winning the division.

I could easily see LA imploding and not make the playoffs. I don't think their current offensive production is sustainable.

24 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I could easily see LA imploding and not make the playoffs. I don't think their current offensive production is sustainable.

They have top draft picks at all the skill positions, Gurley, Goff, and Watkins.  I guess it depends how real you think Goff is.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Wildcard will be tough this year. I think Seattle or LA are locked into one spot. NFC South has some talent and the division is wide open.

Dallas might catch Philly but are in a better  spot than Detroit for the WC.

basically, the NFC Norths path to the playoffs is winning the division.

Dallas ain't gonna catch Philly.  As I've been telling people at the office here, they're a fraud of a team.  I've thought that from the beginning.  I don't really believe they are all that good of a team, when all is said and done...in fact, I could see them losing their next 3 games (2 of which are at home) vs the Chiefs, Falcons, and Eagles.  I think they are going to go back to what they were before last year...an 8-8 team.  As far as the WC goes, I think we see it shaping up as it is right now, Saints/Panthers/Falcons, and Rams/Seahawks fighting for the division titles and the 2 WC spots.  I don't believe anyone else in the NFCE/NFCN will be there at the end.

8 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

They have top draft picks at all the skill positions, Gurley, Goff, and Watkins.  I guess it depends how real you think Goff is.

I mean... it's not like Watkins has done anything for them.

Look back at the QB's LA has played.

Still believe SEA runs away with it.

Dallas is crushed without Zeke.

NFC is not super strong this year. I realize how good this Vikings are but we are 6-2 and 2nd in the NFC with a 3rd string QB who most want to bench for a QB who hasn't been in a competive game for however long, 2 RB's splitting time (one who can't break tackles and another who we all lost faith in last year), won a few games without our #1 WR, and now on our 3rd string LG.

Should be an interesting year the rest of the way thru.

Defensive tackle Tom Johnson doesn’t deny it. The Vikings got caught up last year in reading their press clippings.The Vikings were 5-0 entering the bye week, and all sorts of good things were being said and written about them. Then they collapsed, losing four straight games and eight of their final 11 to finish 8-8 and miss out on the playoffs. After Sunday’s 33-16 victory over the winless Cleveland Browns at London’s Twickenham Stadium, the Vikings are 6-2 heading into their bye week. And they are determined not to have a repeat of last year.

Johnson: “We’ve got to stay locked in, we can’t pat yourself on the back. We can’t take the cheese. We can’t listen to the media. We’ve got to stay humble and continue to grind. We definitely did get caught up last year in what the media was saying. I think at some point in time we got complacent. We didn’t come out and execute like we were supposed to. So this year we’re learning from our mistakes, and guys are a little older and a little more experienced. We have great leadership, and we’re trying to continue to push through.”

Linval Joseph: “Washington beat us last year. They’re next on the list, and we want to be 7-2.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/30/vikings-determined-not-to-fall-apart-after-bye-this-time/

Half way home, and I'd grade the Vikes an A- so far.  The defense is healthy and clicking at all levels.  The offense has not been healthy, but they're surviving, showing well actually.  And, the special teams unit, losing Patterson, is still performing well -- except for missing extra points?  Had the Vikes we've been watching showed up against the Lions early in the season, this team would be an A or A+ . . . I didn't expect them to beat Pittsburg there.   

Zimmer has this team right where he wants them, and the fans need them.  Frankly, we're 3-deep at starting QB going into the last half of the season, and realistically, we'll need everyone of those guys.  It's not a stretch to say the Vikes are three snaps from Sloter, or less.  The RB corps appeared decimated by the loss of Cook, initially, but with the O-line playing the way they have, Jet and Murray are churning out the yardage we need . . . that's a huge factor when we get into time-of-possession and ball-control.  Coupling that with big play ability, and this is as diverse an offense since Robert Smith and 3-Deep.

What I really love about the team is of course the defense!  Not since the late-'80s has the Vikings defense played all three levels like they are now . . . back then it was Doleman/Millard/Studwell/Meriweather/Lee/Browner . . . Now we have who we have and keeping healthy, they'll be every bit as nasty as Floyd Peters' Ds were.

My one final thought . . . I hope they continue to play at a high level and win, but PLEASE don't let pressure get to them.  It's this time of year that separates the greats from the teams that fail.  Last year, this team failed during the final half of the season, and just like Tom Johnson said, they got too comfortable . . . stay grounded and work hard.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

zo9r34.jpg

how can New Orleans be ranked above us at the same record if we beat them head to head....?

Not looking at the rules, but head to head doesn't matter in a three way tie if there is not a head to head sweep. We beat the Rams in a couple weeks and it will resolve both the three way tie and also put us atop if the same three teams are later tied. It is probably conference record after no head to head sweep.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Not looking at the rules, but head to head doesn't matter in a three way tie if there is not a head to head sweep. We beat the Rams in a couple weeks and it will resolve both the three way tie and also put us atop if the same three teams are later tied. It is probably conference record after no head to head sweep.

Agreed.  I believe that is how it works...and since NO has a better conference record at this point, they have the #2 spot.  

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Doesn't our loss to a divisional opponent (and a common opponent that New Orleans beat) affect us as well in the standings/tiebreakers?

The only way it gets to that is if they are tied with 2 other teams and they all have a minimum of 4 common opponents...and the Rams don't have 4 common opponents with the Saints or Vikings.

Archived