Official FF BSET - The Office vs Parks & Rec

Deadpulse

Elite Eight - Michael Scarn  

29 members have voted

1. 1. 3rd seed vs 6th seed

• The Office (3)
    • Parks and Rec (6)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/27/2021 at 09:00 PM

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Parks and Rec did The Office better than The Office did.

This argument never made much sense to me. When a show's premise exactly the same as another show who broke ground on the niche genre utilized by both, shouldn't the expectation that the proceeding show improve on the formula? The Office was the blueprint for Parks and Rec, and it says a lot more creating that blueprint than it does for improving on it. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This argument never made much sense to me. When a show's premise exactly the same as another show who broke ground on the niche genre utilized by both, shouldn't the expectation that the proceeding show improve on the formula? The Office was the blueprint for Parks and Rec, and it says a lot more creating that blueprint than it does for improving on it. 

I think execution of the blueprint provided by the british version originally is what made it work. Not having a totally cringeworthy experience the first two seasons helped the Parks and Recs crew make a better show.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I think execution of the blueprint provided by the british version originally is what made it work. Not having a totally cringeworthy experience the first two seasons helped the Parks and Recs crew make a better show.

I think you invalidate your own point here. The first season of The Office in particular proves that the British blueprint had to be thrown out for American audiences. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Parks and Rec doesnt exist without the office so this is an easy one for me 

Same.  Parks and Rec was a copy/paste of The Office's format, just with different characters and plot.  Both are stellar, but The Office is a little better IMO.

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think you invalidate your own point here. The first season of The Office in particular proves that the British blueprint had to be thrown out for American audiences. 

I think for me, the utter cringe that was the Office's first season of straight up sexual harassment and racism kind of throws me off putting it above it's successor.

• Like 1