Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

13 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Nick Niemann any good?

Yes he is, very good instincts and very solid tackler with some athletic ability.  Great numbers he put out, will for sure be a late round draft pick but could go higher being that fast.  This season he had his most impactful year at Iowa I thought, had a few great games and that size is impressive for a linebacker as well.

• Like 2

Rondale Moore could climb into the 1st round with amazing numbers like that and over take Bateman.  He does have quite an injury history though.  I could see the Titans taking him at 22 because they need a receiver, not many other teams in that 12-25 range need a receiver so not sure he goes anywhere there.  Colts possibly as well at 21 but OT is probably a bigger need for them.

To those that have been doubting Alex Leatherwood, better take another look.  Some do not have him as a top 50 player which is insane to me.  Oh and yeah he can play guard no doubt and I think that could be his best position or RT or LT if need be.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/03/23/devonta-smith-40-yard-dash-fans-know/

It is disappointing DeVonta Smith did not run today, I thought field drills was running routes not literally running the 40.  Apparently will do private workouts for NFL teams but I thought that was not possible and was the reason for the Pro day importance since there is no combine.  There is a 2nd Bama pro day March 30th so maybe he will do something then.

Either way, his former teammates apparently said he can run anywhere from a 4.3 40 to a 4.5 40.  

This was him talking with Ruggs, hopefully Smith will put a 40 time down at some point.  

Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63, Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and Chris Carter ran a 4.63.  So it is not everything obviously.  If he continues to work and improve like he has done four years at Bama, he should be just fine.  Few receivers have ever developed more over four years than he has.  And again, no receiver has ever had to compete against such a talented receiver room with just his teammates.  And he beat them all in production and got the best results and most accomplishments of any of them.  Yeah the dude likes to compete and can take on a challenge.  Most receivers in his shoes would have transferred after their freshman year seeing who else was on the roster and who came in as FR receivers the next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Are you sure? I have seen numbers all over the place.

He was timed a lot. Gil brandt had him in the mid 4.5s, but I believe the time walsh used was 4.59. I'm pretty sure that Jerry said in subsequent interviews that he just didn't know how to run a 40. If that's the case, it was likely it burst off and ten yard split that were particularly onerous.

Worth noting that both carter and Jerry were still faster than the average receiver back then with those times per gil brandt.

Fitz also did not run a 4.63 as he did not work out at the combine. He was timed at 4.5 at his pro day per kiper, and some had him in the upper 4.4s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was timed a lot. Gil brandt had him in the mid 4.5s, but I believe the time walsh used was 4.59. Also, I'm pretty sure that Jerry said in subsequent interviews that he just didn't know how to run a 40. If that's the case, it was likely it burst off and ten yard split that were particularly onerous

Fitz also did not run a 4.63

Makes me think of Joe Haden.

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like Hadens 40 will be permanently ingrained in my head. I think that was first time where a 40 time really hit me and I was like, "wtf? what just happened here?"

Exactly the same happened for me.  It was my "so it doesn't mean what I thought it did" moment.

• Like 1

Patrick Surtain (6-foot-2, 208 pounds):

4.41 40-yard dash
10-foot, 11-inch broad jump
39-inch vertical jump
18 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press

Those are really amazing numbers for Surtain and anyone that does not take him as the first CB off the board is nuts.  Amazing performance for him athletically as a 6-2 208 pound corner.  Really quite impressive work and he moved so well in the drills.

Mac Jones did look a little winded in that Pro day but I like how he competed and fought hard despite having arguably one of the worst groups of pass catches one can remember.  Carl Tucker?  Joshua McMillon a freaking backup LB and backup FB for their jumbo package on offense.  Another WR who could barely catch the ball, not sure who that was and Forristall was the only receiver out there he was really used to it seems.  I think Slade Bolden maybe was out there but not sure.  Still rough group to pass too but he did well enough, nothing like the effortless performance Trey Lance put on though where he barely seemed to be breathing hard at all.

Also Alex Leatherwood’s 40 time would have ranked fourth among offensive linemen at the 2020 NFL scouting combine. His vertical jump would have been tied for second.

Dicaprio Bootle had a day for Nebraska, had a 4.38 40, 36.5" vertical and 10'6" broad.  The 40 would have tied for 3rd fastest at the 2020 combine.  I liked him this year as a potential slot corner, good athlete that made some plays on the football for them, played well late in the year and should be drafted late round possibly after these athletic numbers.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

He was timed a lot. Gil brandt had him in the mid 4.5s, but I believe the time walsh used was 4.59. I'm pretty sure that Jerry said in subsequent interviews that he just didn't know how to run a 40. If that's the case, it was likely it burst off and ten yard split that were particularly onerous.

Worth noting that both carter and Jerry were still faster than the average receiver back then with those times per gil brandt.

Fitz also did not run a 4.63 as he did not work out at the combine. He was timed at 4.5 at his pro day per kiper, and some had him in the upper 4.4s

His slow time could be accurate. I read in one of his biographies about him being caught from behind in a game his rookie year made him realize he needed to change the way he ran. Of course, he really took off after that. 

15 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

His slow time could be accurate. I read in one of his biographies about him being caught from behind in a game his rookie year made him realize he needed to change the way he ran. Of course, he really took off after that. 

There's nothing that supports the 4.71 time as far I know outside of interwebs legend. 

Could be have run a 4.71 at some point? Sure. Gil brandt says they timed him 9 different times, so he maybe had a bad run in there. He was never faster than 4.55 for brandt, so if you assume he's 4.55 - 4.6, a 4.71 run wouldn't be crazy at some point

Rollie Dotsch said he was a 4.45 40 guy back in 85 for the usfl draft, but I'm not sure that was based on anything real and seems more likely to have been media talk. 

Walsh himself used 4.59 which can be verified at a number of sources, including a paul kuharsky article years back. The thing is, as far as I know, the 4.71 has no legitime, verified source. It's just football legend that pops up in google but can't be traced back to anything or anyone (the most I've ever seen was the, "some people had him clocked as slow as...." But with no mention on whom had that). 

He's not the only player with that. You Google Fitz and you do get a 4.63 40. But he didn't run at the combine lol. It's hearsay, but Rob Rang apparently said this was caused by a software glitch at nfl draft scout and it basically just went into lore as truth. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Years ago the SF Chron published a draft sheet the sunday before the Draft. I seem to remember Rice's 40 time was around 4.59.

• Like 1