Lavonte David remains a Super Bowl champ - re-signs for 5 years/$25M ($20M gtd); the last three years voidable

bucsfan333

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I didn't think it was that subtle.

Subtle enough to where no one seemed to notice it lol.  Or maybe they did and ignored it...I don't know.

I actually liked it though. Seeing the words Bucs being SB champs is different....and I like different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

And to add context to their road gauntlet - Tampa’s 3 road games had little travel involved, and no crowd disadvantage.    And playing at home at the end helped  (not due to HFA crowd wise, but the 2-week break, no travel and familiarity with field conditions). That’s a big deal.   

Don’t get me wrong I think in a vacuum Tampa easily wins the division.   Just that being a division winner favorite and defending SB champ is far removed from repeating that have little to do with the talent of the team.    The league enjoys so much parity because of these factors.  

I don't know what little travel means going from Florida to DC back to Florida to New Orleans back to Florida and to Green Bay.

• Its not exactly DC going to Philly, NY, and Carolina

Its true there were no fans in DC but NO had 3700 fans and Green Bay had 7,700.

Getting to the Super Bowl in your home stadium is an achievement, they don't hand it to you. No one else was ever good enough to do it.

Its a 100% credit 4 wins for a title situation.

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

What's the max voidable years on signed deals. Like we should be seeing plenty of this from now on

I feel like this (or similar tactics to reduce the cap hit) is fairly common. Saints did it for what seems like a decade before it finally caught up with them (this upcoming year). Ditto with the Pats (last year, which is why they couldn't afford weapons for Brady). It eventually catches up with you so only teams in the hunt really do it.

22 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I don't know what little travel means going from Florida to DC back to Florida to New Orleans back to Florida and to Green Bay.

• Its not exactly DC going to Philly, NY, and Carolina

Its true there were no fans in DC but NO had 3700 fans and Green Bay had 7,700.

Getting to the Super Bowl in your home stadium is an achievement, they don't hand it to you. No one else was ever good enough to do it.

Its a 100% credit 4 wins for a title situation.

When road game effects are measured it’s been demonstrated the avoidance of transcontinental flight and avoiding multiple time zone changes mitigates the disadvantage of those games.     The effect magnifies with travel across 3 time zones than even just travel across 2 zones.  

Staying on the east coast and traveling 1x to Wisconsin is just a lot easier on teams than going to the WC and back for an Eastern team (and vice versa).   Having 3 road games on the east coast and Wisconsin was less rough than say Washington, Seattle & then NO/GB.  

Again - I backed Tampa hard.   I’m not taking anything away from their SB win.   They earned it all the way.      But there are a lot of variables that help a team out 1 year that have nothing to do with rosters that then just work against the same team the next year.   Schedule, injury timing, right matchups at right time, etc.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

I feel like this (or similar tactics to reduce the cap hit) is fairly common. Saints did it for what seems like a decade before it finally caught up with them (this upcoming year). Ditto with the Pats (last year, which is why they couldn't afford weapons for Brady). It eventually catches up with you so only teams in the hunt really do it.

Yes I agree but really these tactics do work as long as your competitive. It does catch up to you at some point but let's say saints they kept pushing down the line to the point where it caught up after Brees Retired. But again this only works if your competitive. 

11 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

It’s usually a move of cap strapped teams who have no other choice.   But most years the cap only goes up a small and predictable amount.    The increase from 2021 to 2022-23 is known to be much higher than normal.   That makes it a smart move for any team with win now aspirations.    And it doesn’t carry the same consequences long term if half the league has to do it.    That’s a big difference this offseason.    It’s not like Tampa will be alone here or joined by 2-3 other strapped teams.   This year it’s going to be commonly used by half the league, if not more.  

The thread title makes it sound like a very different contract than what it actually is, and I feel like that's driving most of the reactions in the thread. Describing it as a 5 year deal, in any form, is deliberately misleading. Every tweet, every article, describes it as a 2 year, $25M extension, because that's what it functionally is.

18 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The thread title makes it sound like a very different contract than what it actually is, and I feel like that's driving most of the reactions in the thread. Describing it as a 5 year deal, in any form, is deliberately misleading. Every tweet, every article, describes it as a 2 year, $25M extension, because that's what it functionally is.

But this is actually what the contract is.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

But this is actually what the contract is.

When you say it's a 5 year, $25M deal, it implies David is playing for the team for 5 seasons, and is getting paid an average of $5M per year. In reality, David will play for the team for 2 years, and get paid an average of $12.5M per year. He will see no money in years 3, 4, and 5, and won't play for the team those years, unless under an additional contract or extension. The contract will not exist for those three years. The Bucs simply have a cap hit in those three years. Literally every news source describes it as a 2 year, $25M extension. That is what it is. The dummy years should not be included in that calculation.

I guarantee many of those acting as though it's a steal are doing so thinking it's a $5M/year contract, when in reality he's getting paid as a top 10 off ball LB, so at market value.

53 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

When road game effects are measured it’s been demonstrated the avoidance of transcontinental flight and avoiding multiple time zone changes mitigates the disadvantage of those games.     The effect magnifies with travel across 3 time zones than even just travel across 2 zones.  

Staying on the east coast and traveling 1x to Wisconsin is just a lot easier on teams than going to the WC and back for an Eastern team (and vice versa).   Having 3 road games on the east coast and Wisconsin was less rough than say Washington, Seattle & then NO/GB.  

Again - I backed Tampa hard.   I’m not taking anything away from their SB win.   They earned it all the way.      But there are a lot of variables that help a team out 1 year that have nothing to do with rosters that then just work against the same team the next year.   Schedule, injury timing, right matchups at right time, etc.  

This is wrong. Its about comfort level and familiarity (you even said as much for the Super Bowl) Show some evidence of this time zone thing and don't just give me the Raiders are bad on the East Coast. The Seahawks beat the tar out of Philly in Philly every time. The Rams beat Tampa in Tampa, and so on.

Russell Wilson is 43-12 against Eastern time zone teams.

• Feel free to break them down home and away, but away is not going to be a problem.

Three time zones is an anecdote.

The variables next year will be easier since they are far more likely to dominate from go, get a bye, and play only home games.

• Green Bay will be demonstrably worse.
  • Seattle will be demonstrably worse.
  • New Orleans will be demonstrably worse.
  • The Rams with Stafford are a pipe dream.
  • Carolina and Atlanta may be improved, but not on Tampa's level.

Tampa is as likely to have the NFL's best record in 2021 as KC was in 2020.

• Like 1