CB Malcolm Butler released

ttitansfan4life

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Find vet to play nickel.  Then draft someone by round 2 or 3. 

I woulda rather looked at trading Adoree and keeping Butler, but we knew 1 would be gone, seeing as either saved us 10M in cap space. Adoree gives us speed and potential for more prime years. 

But that's my thought exactly. Sign a vet to play cb, and draft a guy with one of those first 4 picks to add depth behind Adoree, Fulton, (King), and Borders. 

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m trying to wrap my head around the message that cutting your top performing defensive player while promoting the head of one of the worst defenses in the NFL sends to the team and the fanbase. It’s not good.

Same.  It just doesn't make sense to me to cut a good player to make room to hire better players on your crappy defense.  You're just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I woulda rather looked at trading Adoree and keeping Butler, but we knew 1 would be gone, seeing as either saved us 10M in cap space. Adoree gives us speed and potential for more prime years. 

But that's my thought exactly. Sign a vet to play cb, and draft a guy with one of those first 4 picks to add depth behind Adoree, Fulton, (King), and Borders. 

Yeah. Based off play, I would have looked to move Adoree, but Adoree has a future being so young. They did his option so the believe in him more than they did Conklin and Davis.

There are some quality CBs on the FA and they could be had for the 1-2 year deal. So the loss won't hurt as much.  
I've been convinced they are blowing up the defensive side of the ball as much as they can and fitting it with some fresh blood. 

Guys this is the Belicheck/New England way that we knew about. As much as we all think it sucks. from a business standpoint you just can't pay a 31 year old CB that much money. We save 10M in cap space and its not like we don't have a little young talent behind him. 

• Like 1

I hate how people look at moves like this and think "we save x millions in cap!" as if the air is going to go out there and replace Butler.

We still have to pay someone to fill his spot. And if it's going to be anyone even around Butler's skill level, it's going to take up most if not all of that cap money we just "saved".

Just ridiculous.

Why not add needing a new #1 corner to our list of FA needs that includes nearly every position on defense, a #2 WR and a TE. Great idea.

Vrabel and Robinson trying to kill every bit of faith they've earned in this one offseason.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I hate how people look at moves like this and think "we save x millions in cap!" as if the air is going to go out there and replace Butler.

We still have to pay someone to fill his spot. And if it's going to be anyone even around Butler's skill level, it's going to take up most if not all of that cap money we just "saved".

Just ridiculous.

Why not add needing a new #1 corner to our list of FA needs that includes nearly every position on defense, a #2 WR and a TE. Great idea.

Vrabel and Robinson trying to kill every bit of faith they've earned in this one offseason.

That's the nature of it. 
People also seem to forget how much people wanted Butler before he got hurt last season. 

31 year old CB who had questionable speed to start.

Nobody wanted to pay Watt $12-13 Million. Butler was going to get paid in that range. 

As annoying as it may be to some that people think we can find a corner, it can be just as annoying to some to think that Malcom Butler is irreplaceable. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the move at all. sucks it had to come when he was playing his best, but better a year to early, ya know? Fulton was drafted to replace him like many have said.  so much recency bias with adoree also.. people would rather focus on 3 bad games than 3 good seasons from him.. blows my mind. he will be fine as long as he is healthy. don't rule out Malcom being back on a lower deal, even though I doubt it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Also like it or not, they like Borders too.

Adoree, Fulton, (FA), (Draft pick) Jackson and Borders. 

Yup, we needed to trim the fat. And we better not stop here, Vaccaro has got to go. Butler ain't making or breaking this d sorry. If you put solid players in the front seven to support the back end, I believe it can work with the guys mentioned above when healthy. Whether it works or not I believe this team needs a shake up on both sides of the ball. It is time to infuse new talent on each side if we want to grow. A guy like Butler, given his age and salary is expendable, especially with the situation we had on d last year.

If we cut Vaccaro where will that put as with cap? 

What are we at now, like about 18 mill in free space now? 

It sucks, but I agree it's not the end of the world. Was our best corner, but I think Fulton, maybe even Adoree, can get there. Fixing the pass rush would go a long way into making the secondary look better too, so that should, obviously, remain the priority.