Vikings Release Riley Reiff

RpMc

It's definitely a bummer to see Reiff be cut loose, but the big hit to the salary cap means all teams are going to struggle with this.  It also means a lot of veteran players are hitting the street and looking for work.  The best of these guys will get jobs, but not necessarily at their preferred salaries.  I'd bet we'll see an onslaught of 1-year contracts at low-ball numbers.  These guys are smart, of course.  Some may sit a year, but most are hungry to prove their worth . . . and most will hedge a bet on getting a short-fully guaranteed contract so they can prep for next year if things rebound the way the media and politicians are spouting.

As for the 2021 Vikings O-Line . . . it's tough for me to say they have the guys on the roster that they need.  I'm all about keeping what you know . . .Bradbury at C and O'Neill at RT.  Beyond that, we know Cleveland succeeded at RG, but let's get him in the saddle at LT and see what he can do.  The alternative would be Uli Udoh . . . his size alone makes him unique; has he developed those raw gifts to where he can step in and dominate at an OG spot?  Or, is he the new LT?

As for the other OG spot (LG) the Vikes couldn't find anyone that could take on opposing UTs and win . . . not all season long.  See, WHEN/ONCE UPON A TIME, John Randle had to learn how to beat Randle McDaniel and Kevin Williams dueled Hutch -- we saw greatness at the OG spots -- and from the UT/3-tech DTs (coincidence they're all in the HOF or on the short list?).  When your LG nails down that gap, and your RG holds his own . . . remember, McDaniel had Dixon while Hutch was a bit less fortunate with Herrera (I think) . . . When those two OGs never make the news, never get their names called -- that's the notoriety of a Pro-Bowl and HOF OG!

I saw where Pete Prisco's pounding the table for Aaron Banks and it makes me shake my head.  There are some guys in this draft that will be great OGs, and he's one I am hoping slides to the Vikes in the 3rd.  Meinerz could be another one, kind of like Joel Bitonio.  IF the Vikes do not take an OG/OT in Rd 1, which sure seems likely, I hope they grab one of the better DEs . . . I love Danielle Hunter as a player, but what's running through his head; is the media making a mountain from an ant hill?  What a delicate situation . . . 

Given money being money, I wouldn't be against the Vikes not spending on any FAs this year.  Keep your cash, be responsible and win with youth.

Along with Reiff of course, but sucks all these OL have been released recently and doubt the Vikings can get any of them.

Riley Reiff
Eric Fisher
Trai Turner
Mitchell Schwartz
Nick Martin
Kevin Zeitler
James Carpenter
Richie Incognito
Gabe Jackson

Then again I did see this, predicts the Vikings get Kevin Zeitler.  Oddly enough though if we get rid of Reiff who plays a more premium position and basically trade contracts and give Zeitler that money instead that would be a stupid move.  Zeitler is decent but not sure he is all that good especially in his specific system.  I would rather take a gamble of Nick Martin who is probably cheaper and is younger, also banking on possible improvement moving him to OG from center.  Getting a 31 year old guard, no thanks, Hutchinson when we got him was not that old and was a far more elite player than Zeitler would ever hope to be.   

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/12/pff-predicts-vikings-will-land-g-kevin-zeitler-in-free-agency/

Looks like the Vikings are at least in the green with cutting Reiff and Rudolph.   I believe they were negative about $12 mil before all of this.  The Rams and Bears, holy crap -$19 mil and -$33 mil.  There are going to be some dudes cut, Leonard Floyd, John Johnson, Troy Hill and Austin Blythe are all free agents and clearly they cannot sign any of those dudes, big loss with Floyd playing so well.  For the Vikings I would love John Johnson, he is a hell of a cover man as a safety who can play some corner.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 3:44 PM, babababa said:

Guys stop pretending the DEs were good last year.

No one is pretending that they were good.  I'm not sure exactly where you're getting that from.  You need to read our posts.  What we're saying is that, with the additions of Weatherly and Hunter coming back, they'll be better than they were last year...and that is good enough in comparison to the other positions of need.  It's that simple.  You're clearly reading something into our posts that we're not saying.  

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I mean, he deserved that money though, don't you think?

I agree that Reiff earned the bonus.  I also believe Reiff was somewhat wary after taking a pay cut last year . . . so two years in a row, that shows submission and at that point, the agents aren't making good money either when their clients are taking pay cuts.  So, the agents play hardball with the FO and the player gets cut whether he likes it or not.  Part of the game is believing in the system, and RR thinks he'll get good $$$ elsewhere.  Hope he does, and he knows he's got limited time to maximize his revenue.

However, growing up in eastern SD and playing FB against his high school alma mater, any millions of $$$ can go a long way to a happy retirement life in that neck of the woods.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I mean, he deserved that money though, don't you think?

I think many players "deserve money" doesn't mean free bonus money should be handed out when there is a cap. I think an extra million to a potential FA is better than to a player who is not on roster 2 weeks after getting that free money

By all means they could have considered the extra $1M if they agreed to an extension/restructure. It certainly won't buy Vikings any goodwill with other FA, if those FA spoke to RR about his negotiating experience with Rick/Minny. It'll be more like "well the Vikings decided to wait until the last minute to ask me to restructure or be cut in 2020, when all my other options were gone, hence why I left them for hopefully greener pastures... fool me once..."

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

No one is pretending that they were good.  I'm not sure exactly where you're getting that from.  You need to read our posts.  What we're saying is that, with the additions of Weatherly and Hunter coming back, they'll be better than they were last year...and that is good enough in comparison to the other positions of need.  It's that simple.  You're clearly reading something into our posts that we're not saying.  

I didn't say anyone gave glowing assessments either. I said "good" as in "it's all good" type of assessments have been given. I clumsily stated it and it could easily be misinterpreted -- my bad.

Virginia Viking had just gotten done saying that he thought the EDGE pass-rush last season was adequate.

Ozzy started all of this by claiming that he had "no problem" rolling back the current unit at DE listing Holmes as a starter (it's not all good -- not even good enough). He thought it was odd that anyone would think that this unit needed as much attention as the O-line. I pointed out how 2 positions were up for grabs on both lines. And yes, I did argue the positional importance of a DE over a Guard. You turned around and valued DE lower based on the current needs of the team (your assessment of the team's needs). 

I am obviously reading. It's a matter of interpretation.

We will inevitably want the same thing and we're arguing over nuance of phrasing to make our points rather than the meat of the argument -- a hill of beans of a difference. 

Edited by babababa