Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/07/instagram-posts/data-showing-lower-death-rate-coronavirus-delta-va/

The Instagram post includes a portion of Table 2 from a June 25 technical report on coronavirus variants by Public Health England, a government agency. The table indicates the case fatality rate is 0.1% for delta, compared with 1.9% for the original alpha variant — or 1/19th the rate. That’s how the post arrives at the conclusion that delta is "19 times less deadly."

Public Health England spokesperson James McCreadie told PolitiFact the post "is factually incorrect and manipulates our data."

McCreadie told us on July 5 that as of June 21, 117 people in England had died with the delta variant, including 44 who were unvaccinated. "Many factors contribute to death, including age, comorbidities and deprivation. It is too early to assess the case fatality ratio compared to other variants," he said.

Experts pointed out that lower case fatality rates would be expected, simply because so many people have been vaccinated in recent months, whereas the original coronavirus had time to spread and cause severe disease long before vaccines became widely available. 

• Like 1

If the viral load isnt reduced on the Delta variant as it is for those vaccinated against all the other variants, its hard to disagree with re-instituting a mask mandate. The idea is to stop the spread and if vaccinated people will spread the Delta just as much then they should be masked up. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If the viral load isnt reduced on the Delta variant as it is for those vaccinated against all the other variants, its hard to disagree with re-instituting a mask mandate. 

It's similar in infected people. How many vaccinated people are being infected with Delta?

13 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'll alter my statement: instead of 19x less deadly than alpha, I'll simply say it has a 0.1% death rate. 

It seems like they don’t know what it truly is yet. 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's similar in infected people. How many vaccinated people are being infected with Delta?

That’s the question isn’t it? Vaccinated people only get tested if they’re symptomatic. We only know about asymptomatic cases because of places that can afford weekly or even daily testing like sports teams.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

That’s the question isn’t it? Vaccinated people only get tested if they’re symptomatic. We only know about asymptomatic cases because of places that can afford weekly or even daily testing like sports teams.

Am I wrong in thinking that if the effects of the Delta variant in the majority of vaccinated people are so minor that they do not even know they are sick, the vaccine is doing its job? Seems like a good sign, not a bad one. Seems like vaccinated people are protected then, even if they can potentially spread the virus. Sounds like I'd only be masking up to protect unvaccinated people, which I will not be doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Is it really in question though? We don't exactly what the breakthrough rate is, but it's still low. Which means there's an order of magnitude type difference in spread between vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

There's already a mask mandate for non-vaccinated people, and the vaccine prevents serious illness (including delta). That's what would stop the spread. This is a pointless, ineffective way to try and coddle jackasses.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Am I wrong in thinking that if the effects of the Delta variant in the majority of vaccinated people are so minor that they do not even know they are sick, the vaccine is doing its job? Seems like a good sign, not a bad one. Seems like vaccinated people are protected then, even if they can potentially spread the virus. Sounds like I'd only be masking up to protect unvaccinated people, which I will not be doing.

Yes to the bolded part. But I’m also masking up indoors to protect myself and to protect my son from getting it. Call it the Rich Eisen reason. I also need to protect my friends who can’t safely get the vaccine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is it really in question though? We don't exactly what the breakthrough rate is, but it's still low. Which means there's an order of magnitude type difference in spread between vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

There's already a mask mandate for non-vaccinated people, and the vaccine prevents serious illness (including delta). That's what would stop the spread. This is a pointless, ineffective way to try and coddle jackasses.

I get what you’re saying. The onus should be on the unvaccinated to be safe at this point. But I just don’t know the best strategy to do this. But yeah I kind of what to be like Ivan Drago to the unvaccinated sometimes.

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Basically. These people are determined to kill themselves, and we can only babysit for so long.

And by dying, I mean without infecting anyone else and overwhelming the healthcare system.

Speaking of the discussion we’re having right now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/07/28/biden-health-officials-masking-guidance-501227

But Fauci noted that the changed CDC guidance was not only meant to benefit unvaccinated Americans. He said “people don’t fully appreciate” that unfettered circulation of the virus among unvaccinated individuals would give it an opportunity to mutate into a form more dangerous than the Delta variant — a new iteration of the virus that “even the vaccinated people may not be able to handle.”

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, seeking to explain her agency’s shift on masking, said Wednesday that when vaccinated people experienced breakthrough infections with prior coronavirus variants, “we didn’t see the capacity of them to spread the virus to others.”

“But with the Delta variant … we have been seeing that if you happen to have one of those breakthrough infections, that you can actually now pass it to somebody else,” Walensky told CNN in an interview

Breakthrough infections remain relatively rare — roughly one or two cases for every 20 vaccinated individuals, Walensky said — and their negative health effects for people who have already gotten their shots are comparatively mild.

Still, “they could bring it to others,” Walensky said. “They think they’re protected in terms of transmission. And we felt it was important that they know and understand — parents, families of immunocompromised people, families at risk of severe disease — that they should protect themselves so that they don’t bring that disease home.”

• Like 1