Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Interesting breakdown of what some in the NFL are saying about the new vaccine requirements:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/25/buffalo-cleveland-nfl-vaccines-fmia-peter-king/

The COVID Reality

A round of phone calls to agents and two players yielded these notes:

1. Agent Drew Rosenhaus: “I had a client who knew there was interest out there but didn’t want to be vaccinated. He was dead-set against it. But teams ask about free-agents’ vaccination status. You know they want these guys to be vaccinated. So my guy went out and got vaccinated, and he got signed. But I have players adamant they won’t get the vaccine. They just don’t want to be told what to do. I think there will be players who decide they don’t want to play because of this issue.”

2. Agent David Canter: “If you’re on the street, and unless you were really good last year but got injured, you will not get signed by an NFL team. GMs are already losing their minds over the vaccine, and they’re not going to take [marginal] players who won’t get the shot.”

3. One veteran offensive player, who is vaccinated: “What I don’t understand with the players who aren’t vaccinated—a couple of things. I have a family and an extended family. I don’t want them to get sick, and I don’t want them to get me sick, or me to get them sick. All these guys who won’t get it, don’t they worry about their families, especially with this [variant]? And I also feel that if you play a team sport, you’re responsible to the guys in the locker room, not just your family. All of that makes it hard to fathom why players won’t get it.”

4. One veteran defensive player was adamant that he wouldn’t get the vaccine. He told his agent last spring it was a non-starter. Then he told the agent two weeks ago he’d been vaccinated, in part to keep his young child and wife safe. This leads to . . .

5. Several people in the league think the key is to be patient. “Our trainer explained what life was going to be like if you didn’t get vaccinated. He was very calm about it. But when players heard they wouldn’t be able to get away during the bye week, and they would have to hang around when our coaches give them the long Labor Day weekend off [unvaxxed players have to be tested every day in their home market], that changed a few minds right there.” The worst thing to do to convince strong-willed players to get vaccinated is to browbeat or threaten them. So the NFL is still determined to play the long game, as the CDC seems to be.

On Friday, the NFL’s medical director, Dr. Allen Sills, said 80 percent of all players were either fully vaccinated or were one shot in, nine teams had at least 90 percent of the players vaccinated, and only five teams were at less than 70 percent. The NFL, one official told me, is hopeful that with all teams reporting no later than Tuesday, the reality will set in and the unvaccinated will realize they’ll be second-class citizens. As angry as some players will be about it, the league hopes the disadvantages of being unvaxxed will sway enough players so that most or all teams will have herd immunity.

Of course, a Cole Beasley, who has been a major face of the anti-vaxxers in the league, could decide to not play. It’s amazing for us to think that one of football’s best slot receivers could leave $11.9 million in cash on the table over the next two years by retiring out of principle. But I won’t be surprised to see a significant player walk away. The conspiracy theory about vaccines being bad is real in pockets of society. Why wouldn’t it be real in the NFL?

It’s a bad idea to try to browbeat players into getting the shot. But the league can’t just say, Okay, you’re not getting vaccinated. Life’s fine. If a player who wants to remain unvaccinated, he’ll have to pay the consequences if he’s connected to an outbreak on his team. And those consequences, although highly unlikely, could lead to a forfeit if an outbreak prevents a game from being played.

• Like 3

Sad sign for the world when the reality of possibly spreading it to other people, at risk people, or to their own kids and other peoples kids is NOT ENOUGH to convince someone.

Their own bottom-line, yep. Other peoples lives, lol no.

Egotism and narcissism has run amok.

• Like 7

Personally I’m simply sick of the whole vaccine issue. If you don’t want a vaccine it’s individual choice. It’s also a businesses choice to require vaccines. It shouldn’t have had to come to that type of attitude but I give up.

Herd immunity isn’t possible given current outlooks. In Ontario our health folks say 90% immunization would be required.

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Sad sign for the world when the reality of possibly spreading it to other people, at risk people, or to their own kids and other peoples kids is NOT ENOUGH to convince someone.

Their own bottom-line, yep. Other peoples lives, lol no.

Egotism and narcissism has run amok.

Me first. My freedoms are all that’s important. Social responsibility doesn’t fit with today’s attitudes in some circles.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sorry bud. 

Not surprised. I get the under 12 argument, but in a building where 💯 of individuals have access to the vaccine, I refuse to listen to any argument to the contrary. I’ve done my part, as has my wife. (Most of) My coworkers have done theirs. I’m done listening to “the vaccine is the endgame” if it’s literally not. I’m jaded right now, but that’s me being honest.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not surprised. I get the under 12 argument, but in a building where 💯 of individuals have access to the vaccine, I refuse to listen to any argument to the contrary. I’ve done my part, as has my wife. (Most of) My coworkers have done theirs. I’m done listening to “the vaccine is the endgame” if it’s literally not. I’m jaded right now, but that’s me being honest.

Then be upset at the people who refuse to get vaccinated then. This is what Rich Eisen stated recently:

“All I’ve heard from the unvaccinated is it’s time to just live with it and get back to normal. Well, I tried that, and I ended up in quarantine with COVID, and most likely I passed it to my 7-year-old daughter. So you not getting the vaccine makes COVID more prevalent in society, and could cause the next variant to be worse, and to pierce my immunity.”

Eisen’s voice was rising. “My wife and I, as parents, are supposed to protect our children. My 7-year-old gets it, probably from me, after I was vaccinated,” he said. “So now . . . it’s personal for me.”

• Like 3

Yeah makes zero sense. All vitriol should be reserved for those choosing to leave the gotdamn gate open by refusing the vaccine. I mean, local and state governments are actually burning political capital for a good cause for once; the health and safety of our community as a whole. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

69% of adults have at least 1 dose and we’ve seen a bit of a pickup the last few weeks so I don’t think it’s that far off.  The overall numbers will go up once we start vaccinating children.

I hope you’re right. It’s still concerning that we’re still at 49% fully vaccinated only as an entire population. And yes, I know that precludes children. But it feels like there’s a bomb timer ticking as we get closer to winter.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, my Fiancee and I spent all of 2020 quarantining - we cancelled our wedding, we didn't visit family, we missed birthdays and everything in order to do our part and it's extremely frustrating to see a sizable portion of this country just decide "well, I want to go back to partying and living my life so screw everyone else" and just not give a crap, and here we are. 

Actually, it's beyond frustrating. It's infuriating because getting vaccinated, quarantining and wearing a mask were the ways to returning to normal, but hardly anyone actually did all 3 of those things for any sort of prolonged period, and since everything was done differently state by state and even county by county and the whole thing was politicized, none of it worked.

I just don't know what to say at this point, but it does feel like I wasted a full year of my life for nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I just don't know what to say at this point, but it does feel like I wasted a full year of my life for nothing.

BINGO!!!

@ramssuperbowl99 He’s helped me identify the source of my frustration. And in my profession, make that 2.5 years in all likelihood. The law of unintended consequences as I’ve gone into great detail about what all that entails seems unbelievably daunting right now, and frankly, I’m not sure that I’ve got the energy to regroup and face it all again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Personally I’m simply sick of the whole vaccine issue. If you don’t want a vaccine it’s individual choice. It’s also a businesses choice to require vaccines. It shouldn’t have had to come to that type of attitude but I give up.

and the global bad actors (at least partly) responsible for all of this rejoice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you. I give up, too. Their long-game of sowing discord in the western hemisphere is paying dividends now. We all lose here, we (here) are all worse off for this - and they kick-back with a knowing smile.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

and the global bad actors (at least partly) responsible for all of this rejoice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you. I give up, too. Their long-game of sowing discord in the western hemisphere is paying dividends now. We all lose here, we (here) are all worse off for this - and they kick-back with a knowing smile.

Western Hemisphere alone? That’s hilarious.