Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

5 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Drop the political discussion.

Also, this.

Just cleaned up a bunch of stuff. Let's keep things within the rules. Nobody cares about your politics. You're not gonna change any minds at this point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So the NFL will probably have to change its policies have ways through? 

Realistically it would take a while to roll out boosters and different businesses, states, etc. would have to make a judgement call on if and when to change policies for boosters 

We're already kind of there given the gap in efficacy between the 2 mRNA shots and one J&J shots particularly against the Delta variant

There's also a middle ground where boosters may be recommended only for at risk populations, in which case policies probably don't change for people who already have the 2

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

overly simplistic. They will likely come out with a timeframe to adhere to and it will be different based on age, pre-existing conditions, and when you received your last shot. 

The recommendation on who should get a booster may be different based on age and pre-existing conditions, but I don't see any scenario where there would be requirements or business policies that would specifically target those groups.  

Just now, mission27 said:

The recommendation on who should get a booster may be different based on age and pre-existing conditions, but I don't see any scenario where there would be requirements or business policies that would specifically target those groups.  

As well as who has had the initial shot(s).

But tbh given the latest data out of Israel and the evolution of the variants I think everyone should be ready for at least one more round of boosters and the possibility that the 2 shots wont be considered "fully vaccinated" at some point in the near future 

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I imagine the CDC will have guidelines for boosters and what is considered "fully vaccinated" based on a myriad of factors, most commonly for the majority of people being just amount of time between boosters. In that capacity, people will be held to that. However, being fully vaccinated right now, I have not once had to prove it for any reason and I work in healthcare, albeit not patient facing. The NFL requirements are an outlier in society at the moment. 

Due to higher transmission of Delta, the herd immunity threshold is estimated to be much higher now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/thedeltavariant-upends-the-worlds-pandemic-response-11627225200

But the speed of Delta’s advance across the world is a product of its enhanced transmissibility. Estimates vary, but scientists believe the Delta variant is perhaps two to three times more transmissible than the original virus that first emerged from China in 2019. In the absence of any mitigating public-health measures, every 10 people infected with the original virus would go on to infect 25 people, on average. With Delta, 10 infections would likely result in between 60 to 70 new infections, a big increase.

That puts the threshold for so-called herd immunity, or what some scientists prefer to call community protection or population immunity, further out of reach. Where previously governments and public health officials had hoped herd immunity might have been achievable with between 60% and 70% of the population vaccinated, Delta means that threshold is likely between 80% to 90%, said Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I imagine the CDC will have guidelines for boosters and what is considered "fully vaccinated" based on a myriad of factors, most commonly for the majority of people being just amount of time between boosters. In that capacity, people will be held to that. However, being fully vaccinated right now, I have not once had to prove it for any reason and I work in healthcare, albeit not patient facing. The NFL requirements are an outlier in society at the moment. 

I've actually had a different experience tbh.  Had to prove vaccination status to go into my office, for sporting events, and have had to do so now quite a number of times for international travel.

Anyway my point on the old/at risk is that to the extent the boosters are recommended only for those groups, it will be very hard (probably impossible) for businesses or governments to put restrictions on those people's activities for not complying.  An old or at risk person is no more likely to transmit the virus than anyone else.  A booster that is recommended for that group is purely a self protective measure and any attempt to coerce those people into getting additional shots would be successfully challenged in court as discriminatory.  

Given the high vaccination rates among the old and at risk even in places with low vaccination rates overall, I suspect there will be a lot of demand for booster shots regardless if and when they become available 

Booster shots will likely be required. Given the poor global vaccine rollout and the continued variants that will appear it seems likely this will be something where we will need a yearly shot. At least until such time as we can eradicate the disease through vaccination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Booster shots will likely be required. Given the poor global vaccine rollout and the continued variants that will appear it seems likely this will be something where we will need a yearly shot. At least until such time as we can eradicate the disease through vaccination.

as long as getting vaccinated remains a political issue, this will never happen. I mean the United States alone has basically decided we're not doing any more lockdowns, we're not wearing masks and we're not getting vaccinated (to a level that we should be, anyways), so we're just gonna have to...idk...kill off 500,000 more people? idk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

as long as getting vaccinated remains a political issue, this will never happen. I mean the United States alone has basically decided we're not doing any more lockdowns, we're not wearing masks and we're not getting vaccinated (to a level that we should be, anyways), so we're just gonna have to...idk...kill off 500,000 more people? idk.

70% vaccination plus natural immunity is a good start

Id be more worried about billions in developing countries with limited vaccine access right now, when it comes to potential for new variants 

• Like 4

Just now, mission27 said:

70% vaccination plus natural immunity is a good start

Id be more worried about billions in developing countries with limited vaccine access right now, when it comes to potential for new variants 

70% vaccination seems a longs way away. And we still have about 100 million people that have never been infected yet.

And that’s all assuming that those who had been previously been infected will have the antibodies to withstand Delta. 

• Like 2

While many will disagree with these being “needed” at all to increase vaccination rates and that everyone should get vaccinated now, the likelihood and reality of the situation is these two things will cause one last massive uptick in vaccinations:

1) Pfizer Full FDA Approval

2) NovaVax

This will cause a huge uptick IMO. A lot of you may want to believe everyone by now has made up their mind, but get out of your comfort zone and talk to people, a lot of people would be willing to take a vaccine under one of those two circumstances. A lot. 

I think at some point we will get 75% fully vaccinated, maybe as early as Early 2022. Delta will probably rage during the winter and that will also strike some more fear into getting it. 

I don’t think we will ever reach 80%, that is just unrealistic due to medical concerns, religious beliefs, people who have had COVID and want to use their own antibodies, and overall stubbornness. 

However, it may get to the point where 95% of some major cities and 90% of some stats are fully good to go. Just don’t travel in the deep south if COVID highly concerns you. I’m not sure Alabama and Mississippi’s dismal vaccination rates can ever be recovered to a decent percentage. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Why am I not surprised that this is trending towards a group of selfish idiots ruining it for the rest of us who's made our own personal sacrifices over the last year plus, in addition to spending a few hours out of our day(s) to get a perfectly safe shot.

Mind boggling how dumb the general US public is, the fact that they cannot understand simple math, and refuse to listen to those more educated than themselves in a specific field.

Discouraging that I'm not the slightest bit surprised. We have the best vaccines in the world and people are just willingly avoiding them. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Xenos said:

70% vaccination seems a longs way away. And we still have about 100 million people that have never been infected yet.

And that’s all assuming that those who had been previously been infected will have the antibodies to withstand Delta. 

69% of adults have at least 1 dose and we’ve seen a bit of a pickup the last few weeks so I don’t think it’s that far off.  The overall numbers will go up once we start vaccinating children.