Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

22 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

https://apnews.com/article/europe-business-health-government-and-politics-france-ecc7d4345abf159920bbe36a3b2fefb7

Essentially, you need to be vaccinated to take part in public outings, mandated by the government. It's strict for sure, and I'm positive there are some people going absolutely insane over it, but it will slow the spread and force people to get vaccinated.

Making vaccinated people mask up will not slow the spread or force people to get vaccinated. In fact, it may make people even more reluctant to get vaccinated if they know they still have to mask up even after getting jabbed.

This is unfortunately going to have to happen at the local level in the US. I just don’t see the federal government doing anything like this at the national level. We can’t even do something as simple as a federal mask mandate because of lawsuits. It’ll be even harder to try to a national passport. Not to mention the logistics of it all since states hold an individual’s medical records.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There were always 2 sides to "return to normal":

1. People who wanted a return to normal via eradicating the disease and following scientific guidelines
  2. People who wanted a return to normal by pretending there was no disease

The people in the 2nd group are the ones saying they refuse to mask up, that's a major problem. I mean, just head on over to Reddit's /r/NoNewNormal subreddit to see mental illness in action.

No, I get it. You were never going to convince the true hard liners. But they probably hoping to reach the third group that was still on the fence but would do it for the right motivations. This group also included people who couldn’t get vaccinated due to social economical reasons. 

This is what I thought was the case with Delta. But it sucks that it’s basically confirmed now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/27/politics/cdc-mask-guidance/index.html

New evidence found that the levels of virus found in breakthrough cases among the vaccinated people are similar to those found in unvaccinated individuals who contract coronavirus, raising concerns that vaccinated individuals may be able to spread the virus, the officials said.

Versions of the virus that dominated in the past generally did not appear to be transmitted by people who had been fully vaccinated.

New vaccine requirements for CA, NYC, and the VA. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/26/1020709931/nyc-will-require-vaccines-or-weekly-tests-for-hundreds-of-thousands-of-city-work

The announcements came in quick succession on Monday in the country's most populous city and state. In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced all city workers would have to either get vaccinated or tested weekly for the virus. In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a similar policy for state employees and health care workers. 

At the federal level, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough said the department will require front-line health care workers to get vaccinated in the next two months. It will be the first government agency to set such a mandate.

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

and the global bad actors (at least partly) responsible for all of this rejoice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you. I give up, too. Their long-game of sowing discord in the western hemisphere is paying dividends now. We all lose here, we (here) are all worse off for this - and they kick-back with a knowing smile.

The give up part was in listening to those who refuse vaccines. Obviously I’m not including those that can’t for medical reasons.

The rest, I don’t care about their perceived rights. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just read an article today that there are massive protests in France over this, but their vaccination levels are also soaring.

So....yeah lol

Here’s a nice breakdown of vaccine passports. It seems like a logistical nightmare outside of a local level. But maybe that’s where we have to start.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/technology/2021/07/can-vaccine-passports-work.amp

"We're heading into a rough time. It's likely, if our trajectory is similar to that in the United Kingdom, that we could see as many as 200,000 cases a day," Dr. Tom Frieden said Monday, adding the US likely won't see the "horrific death tolls" of earlier in the pandemic thanks to the number of vulnerable people who are vaccinated. Frieden was CDC director during the Obama administration.
But, he said, "You will see a steady increase in deaths, and these are preventable deaths."

I had been debating about whether or not to really prepare for another lockdown. Guess I"ll get on that tomorrow.

Get your tp while it's still in stock!

51 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you can't get vaccinated after your head coach had cancer, you are next level scum tbh

Should probably start by relieving Jack Del Rio iyam. His comments last year when players were opting out and his retweet’s and comments about various conspiracy theories aren’t likely helping. 

• Like 1