Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

11 hours ago, mission27 said:

Also as others have said, Florida...

• Has been one of the more caviler states about lifting NPIs like masks
  • Was one of the states to restrict municipalities power to mandate NPIs
  • Was an early and strong adopter of anti-corporate vaccine mandate laws
  • Has taken multiple victory laps about "defeating" COVID without masks or lockdowns only to become the global epicenter like a month later... this has literally happened multiple times 

I do think some of the current surge in Florida compared to the northern states comes down to seasonality and could be reversed in the next few months.  But its easy to see why people **** on Florida tbh.

FWIW, I just spent a week down there and I wore a mask, and saw far more mask wearing, than I have in my home state in my small town (expected) and larger cities (a little less expected).

But we did see this seasonality outbreak around this time last year b/c of how ******* hot it is down there. I expect the same trends to occur in the next couple months.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, I do think that labeling everyone with reservations "anti-vaxx" is completely disingenuous at worst, or ill-informed at best. I personally know and have talked to two separate people who just scheduled a vaccination appointment now that Pfizer is FDA approved.

It's easier to say "buT TEh PaTRioTs" than actually think about it though...... again, people take the easy route too often and that's the easy route even if it's not true at all.... b/c it's not. Gotta keep that division alive and make it seem like your side is the best side!! How else can you continue to vilify people? If not this, it'll be the next thing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Science does.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1005

At least statistically you’re significantly more likely to have clotting issues from covid than the vaccine.  Or pregnancy alone for that matter, which is 1/1000.

And the blood clotting concerns were only ever related to J&J. I think they’ve attribute a couple dozen clots to that vaccine out of like 9 million vaccines administered.

These aren’t my opinions, simply facts.

I get it, LOL.

49 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get the concern, but some people seemingly want a guarantee that they won’t have any issues at all.  That’s simply not how vaccines or healthcare or medications work.

There is a risk, but it’s significantly lower than the alternative.

Again, waiting for FDA approval is absolutely understandable, otherwise, respectfully, why have the FDA at all if it's that archaic? In the eyes of some of these people (not the ones cherry picking information to be disingenuous), that's their safety net and trust factor, because let's not pretend the former POTUS, current POTUS and VICE POTUS didn't cast shades of doubt about the validity of these vaccines, making it really hard for some people to separate their emotions from the science surrounding all of it. the VPOTUS said she wouldn't get the vaccine if things didn't go her way back in November.

There's PLENTY of blame for misinformation and propaganda to go around that has caused a lot of hurt and fallout for a lot of people.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Science does.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1005

At least statistically you’re significantly more likely to have clotting issues from covid than the vaccine.  Or pregnancy alone for that matter, which is 1/1000.

And the blood clotting concerns were only ever related to J&J. I think they’ve attribute a couple dozen clots to that vaccine out of like 9 million vaccines administered.

These aren’t my opinions, simply facts.

It's also worth noting that while we speak in seeming absolutes when talking in general terms, we've also been very clear that when someone goes to their doctor, and their doctor assesses risks specific to their case, there's times when waiting is understandable. 

You and I have talked about vaccine hesitancy in professional athletes, and the consensus for pretty much every athlete has been "they're an idiot, get the shot". But we both agree that Anthony Rizzo gets a pass, based on what we know. Lymphoma patients have had some issues with the vaccine, and while that's primarily in those who are actively seeking treatment, there are rare cases that someone in recovery may have risk factors still, as well. And the Lymphoma Foundation specifically notes that every current and past Lymphoma patient should talk to their doctor before getting vaccinated.  And while Anthony Rizzo doesn't seem on the outside like he has those specific risk factors, he's done everything else right to where we give him the benefit of the doubt. He's said he's in favor of the vaccine, his charity provides hot meals for nurses who are administering the shot, he said he talked to his doctors and came to the decision and that he will continue to talk to them as new information comes out. He masks up, even in places it isn't mandated. He gets tested before going into the hospital he does charity work at. He's clearly a guy who is taking the situation seriously, outside of the vaccine. So we can give him the benefit of the doubt, even if it's still possible he's not taking it when he should be.

But these people who are not masking up, not social distancing, or are citing things not relevant to 2/3 of the available options, and not getting their care physician's opinion, there's a problem.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then maybe they should stop trying to determine this stuff on their own and just listen to their doctor or the cdc or the surgeon general, etc.

A friend I coach with and a separate family member of mine both had separate doctors tell them not to get vaccinated. One didn't listen to his doctor, and one listened to theirs.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, I do think that labeling everyone with reservations "anti-vaxx" is completely disingenuous at worst, or ill-informed at best. I personally know and have talked to two separate people who just scheduled a vaccination appointment now that Pfizer is FDA approved.

I am really hoping this is going to provide a bigger turnout than I pessimistically actually believe. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

It's also worth noting that while we speak in seeming absolutes when talking in general terms, we've also been very clear that when someone goes to their doctor, and their doctor assesses risks specific to their case, there's times when waiting is understandable. 

You and I have talked about vaccine hesitancy in professional athletes, and the consensus for pretty much every athlete has been "they're an idiot, get the shot". But we both agree that Anthony Rizzo gets a pass, based on what we know. Lymphoma patients have had some issues with the vaccine, and while that's primarily in those who are actively seeking treatment, there are rare cases that someone in recovery may have risk factors still, as well. And the Lymphoma Foundation specifically notes that every current and past Lymphoma patient should talk to their doctor before getting vaccinated.  And while Anthony Rizzo doesn't seem on the outside like he has those specific risk factors, he's done everything else right to where we give him the benefit of the doubt. He's said he's in favor of the vaccine, his charity provides hot meals for nurses who are administering the shot, he said he talked to his doctors and came to the decision and that he will continue to talk to them as new information comes out. He masks up, even in places it isn't mandated. He gets tested before going into the hospital he does charity work at. He's clearly a guy who is taking the situation seriously, outside of the vaccine. So we can give him the benefit of the doubt, even if it's still possible he's not taking it when he should be.

But these people who are not masking up, not social distancing, or are citing things not relevant to 2/3 of the available options, and not getting their care physician's opinion, there's a problem.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A friend I coach with and a separate family member of mine both had separate doctors tell them not to get vaccinated. One didn't listen to his doctor, and one listened to theirs.

If their provider says wait, that’s a separate discussion.

I think this is a small percentage of the total people who are currently unvaccinated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Exactly. I know of at least 6-7 people who have now gotten vaccinated this week due to looming FDA Approval. Some a few days before, since it was announced it’ll likely be Monday. 

I was vaccinated Tuesday because I was finally comfortable with the research, especially after talking to other people with Autoimmune diseases who received the shor. But looming FDA Approval the following week certainly helped. 

I’m hoping this will cause a surge in California. Currently we are 55% Fully Vaxxed and 68% One Dose. I’m hoping due to the FDA Approval, we can see that 55% shoot up to past 60% in the next three weeks, but that may be very wishful thinking. 

I personally think anybody who hasnt gotten the vaccine, that it has much more to do with other reasons than 'they didnt trust the research'. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get it, LOL.

Again, waiting for FDA approval is absolutely understandable, otherwise, respectfully, why have the FDA at all if it's that archaic?

The same FDA that gave it EUA?  

In the eyes of some of these people (not the ones cherry picking information to be disingenuous), that's their safety net and trust factor, because let's not pretend the former POTUS, current POTUS and VICE POTUS didn't cast shades of doubt about the validity of these vaccines, making it really hard for some people to separate their emotions from the science surrounding all of it. the VPOTUS said she wouldn't get the vaccine if things didn't go her way back in November.

I’m not gonna do the whataboutism or defend the idiots on either side.  People should stop listening to career politicians, attorneys and real estate developers for health info.

I will point out all 3 chose to take it themselves.

There's PLENTY of blame for misinformation and propaganda to go around that has caused a lot of hurt and fallout for a lot of people.

Completely agree, but that misinformation is rarely coming from sources people should be using.

• Like 1

This is what I think will be the likely outcome in getting more people vaccinated now that there’s full approval for Pfizer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/24/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

The thing that may really motivate people to get those life-saving vaccines, Hotez said, is if the authorization paves the way for employers, businesses and schools to mandate vaccinations.

Obviously there’s other touchpoints that can motivate people ie. all the things that @ramssuperbowl99said several pages ago 😅

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The same FDA that gave it EUA?  

Like I said, the archaic processes need to change IMO.

I’m not gonna do the whataboutism or defend the idiots on either side.  People should stop listening to career politicians, attorneys and real estate developers. 

FIFY to be honest.

I will point out all 3 chose to take it themselves.

See the above on why they shouldn't be listened to. Posturing and using people as pawns in a very dangerous game.

Completely agree, but that misinformation is rarely coming from sources people should be using.

It's because people are being used and probably don't even realize it. 

• Like 2

An NFL related anecdote regarding vaccination efforts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/22/tom-brady-bucs-training-camp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

4. I think this was the most insightful thing I heard in the last week, from a smart football person about those players not vaccinated: “We’re not educating all the people we need to be educating. You cannot believe the influence the wives have over these players, in so many cases. They might leave the facility thinking they’re gonna get vaccinated, but they go home, and their wives are adamantly against it. The NFL hasn’t done a good job overall in educating the families—the wives especially, but also the dads in some cases are really influential. So the players hear one thing in the facility and another thing at home, and so often when they choose not to get it, it’s like they’re being publicly shamed over it. Just not a good situation.” One other thing: Everyone can find an expert to reinforce whatever decision they make, to take the shot or not to take it. Or five experts. If I’m a coach or GM, I wave the white flag and say, Okay, time to coach football. We’ll move on and take the consequences, whatever they may be.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I personally think anybody who hasnt gotten the vaccine, that it has much more to do with other reasons than 'they didnt trust the research'. 

Couldn't agree more!

IMO this hesitation is more about being loyal to their brand of politics, outside of that, there aren't very many viable reasons to go unvaxxed. Of course a persons personal health may be a factor, but more so than that it's about staying in line with their political teams agenda. What's even more strange is while most unvaxxed conservatives took the touch for their politic deities cause, those same politicians began getting the jab behind the scenes very quietly. Wild sorts of hypocrisy.