Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

14 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Florida is pretty close to California and ahead of Illinois in vaccination rates. This Florida anti-vax stuff is a hoax. 

Just for ****s and giggles I’m looking at vaccination rates because half this country fawns over the rest of the world and thinks this is exclusively happening to us.

Finland, Norway, and Sweden are all behind us. France is just a little bit ahead at 55%. 
Saudi Arabia way behind at 37%.

Japan 41%
South Korea 22%

and these two are my favorites 

Australia 24%
New Zealand 19%

All of those numbers are low. Its pretty real. The reason Florida gets pointed out is because they also notoriously don't use other forms of PPE and have policies that promote the spread of the virus. You should take a less myopic view on things. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m no expert, but I do know a couple RN’s in NZ, both kiwi and a lady I used to work with at UC.

Lets just say comparing us to NZ is laughable.

Its a completely different game, that is for sure. 

We couldnt weather an outbreak for at lest a couple of years .

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Florida is pretty close to California and ahead of Illinois in vaccination rates. This Florida anti-vax stuff is a hoax. 

Just for ****s and giggles I’m looking at vaccination rates because half this country fawns over the rest of the world and thinks this is exclusively happening to us.

Finland, Norway, and Sweden are all behind us. France is just a little bit ahead at 55%. 
Saudi Arabia way behind at 37%.

Japan 41%
South Korea 22%

and these two are my favorites 

Australia 24%
New Zealand 19%

Just an FYI, but unlike us, a lot of those countries you mentioned don’t have an excess supply of vaccines so that’s why they have had a slower vaccine rollout. Australia and New Zealand being prime examples. Do you always like to spout out things before checking first?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Im in the mist of discussion with antivaxxers, I am interested where people get their data from for their information on the vaccine and the disease. 

Where do antivaxxers get their information?

Tiktok apparently 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Where do antivaxxers get their information?

Tiktok apparently 😂

I saw a fox news tv piece about how masks arent effective. They threw up a quote that read, and I am paraphrasing, N95 masks are not more effective. The guy was spouting off about how multiple studies from what he dubbed the gold standard of science say that masks dont work. The article he ripped that quote from? It was a peer review study that stated that N95 masks were 92% effective and standard surgical masks were 89% effective. The bit he was quoting was about how N95 are not more effective than other masks. Somehow, this guy decided that this study meant that masks werent effective at all not just not more effective than each other comparatively. Its this blatant spread of misinformation with zero regard for the truth, this is where they are getting their info. From sources like this that take studies, cherry pick one phrase or quote, and make it seem like PPE or vaccines dont work or are bad when in fact all those studies they cite actually say the opposite. Its maddening. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

EDIT: Regardless, this mindset is what's wrong w/ people these days. You should be praising the fact that he's going around and trying to get his base, a lot of which are against the vaccine, to get vaccinated. Instead, you used this opportunity to insult the group. That's corny.

If you and a group of survivors are hiding out in a mall during a zombie outbreak just trying to make it out in one piece and some (Cov?)idiot WITHOUT a gun gets up and shouts "zombies aren't real! It's all a government hoax!" despite there literally being thousands of dead, decaying and munched corpses everywhere and sent them after you after getting himself devoured, I'm willing to bet you'd have some "choice" words for that guy while running for your life.

Now how do you think that relates to this?

And I'm not giving him credit for trying to damage control him downplaying the virus for an entire year.

68572181.jpg

Edited by KManX89

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You would think so except: 

1. Florida has had a lot of vaccine tourism, initially from other states because they opened up vaccinations earlier and also from countries in Latin America.  I know multiple people who traveled to Florida earlier this year for a vaccine.  This definitely inflates the "% vaccinated" statistic because they just take doses administered and divide by population.  They are not excluding vaccine tourists from the numerator. 

2. Vaccination rates are highly correlated to age and Florida has the most old people.  If you compare vaccination rates by age group in Florida vs. for example Illinois, you can see that vaccination rates are much higher in Illinois for both old people and young people.  But because Florida has a lot more old people their vaccination rate overall is slightly higher.

Florida

85+: 63%, 75-84: 72%, 65-74: 77%

55-64: 58%, 45-54: 45%, 35-44: 36%, 25-34: 27%, 16-24: 18%

Illinois

65+: 79%

16-64: 59%

The problem is that your 16-64 population is going to be much more mobile and in Florida, far less than half of these people are vaccinated at this point compared to 60% in Illinois.  That's leading to a lot of community spread.  Its great that they've vaccinated a lot of their old people, although relatively fewer than Illinois or many other states on a percentage basis, but old people in particular are susceptible to waning immunity and breakthroughs from Delta.  So you have a bunch of young people who aren't vaccinated driving community spread that leads to a lot of infections in older populations that remain more susceptible. 

Illinois and California are also far from a shining example of vaccine acceptance, both have large portions of their population that are either rural conservatives or urban poor, the two most vaccine hesitant groups.

As far as your comparison to European countries, the US has had earlier access to the vaccines than many of these countries.  And in the case of France in particular, they have a very serious anti-vax problem as well going back many years so its not surprising they are having similar issues.  

• Like 7

Also as others have said, Florida...

• Has been one of the more caviler states about lifting NPIs like masks
  • Was one of the states to restrict municipalities power to mandate NPIs
  • Was an early and strong adopter of anti-corporate vaccine mandate laws
  • Has taken multiple victory laps about "defeating" COVID without masks or lockdowns only to become the global epicenter like a month later... this has literally happened multiple times 

I do think some of the current surge in Florida compared to the northern states comes down to seasonality and could be reversed in the next few months.  But its easy to see why people **** on Florida tbh.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mission27 said:

1. Florida has had a lot of vaccine tourism, initially from other states because they opened up vaccinations earlier and also from countries in Latin America.  I know multiple people who traveled to Florida earlier this year for a vaccine.  This definitely inflates the "% vaccinated" statistic because they just take doses administered and divide by population.  They are not excluding vaccine tourists from the numerator. 

2. Vaccination rates are highly correlated to age and Florida has the most old people.  If you compare vaccination rates by age group in Florida vs. for example Illinois, you can see that vaccination rates are much higher in Illinois for both old people and young people.  But because Florida has a lot more old people their vaccination rate overall is slightly higher.

Florida

Illinois

The problem is that your 16-64 population is going to be much more mobile and in Florida, far less than half of these people are vaccinated at this point compared to 60% in Illinois.  That's leading to a lot of community spread.  Its great that they've vaccinated a lot of their old people, although relatively fewer than Illinois or many other states on a percentage basis, but old people in particular are susceptible to waning immunity and breakthroughs from Delta.  So you have a bunch of young people who aren't vaccinated driving community spread that leads to a lot of infections in older populations that remain more susceptible. 

Illinois and California are also far from a shining example of vaccine acceptance, both have large portions of their population that are either rural conservatives or urban poor, the two most vaccine hesitant groups.

As far as your comparison to European countries, the US has had earlier access to the vaccines than many of these countries.  And in the case of France in particular, they have a very serious anti-vax problem as well going back many years so its not surprising they are having similar issues.  

I have to wonder if tourists went to Cali for their first doses, or if many people just didn't report back for 2nd doses. They have a big gap between first and second doses. Comparative to Florida. Where as if I look at New York's gap- it's very small. 

For reference:

Florida has a 11% gap between first and second doses

Cali has a 12.9% gap between first and second doses

NY has a 7% gap between first and second doses.

Edited by WizeGuy

To be fair, I do think that labeling everyone with reservations "anti-vaxx" is completely disingenuous at worst, or ill-informed at best. I personally know and have talked to two separate people who just scheduled a vaccination appointment now that Pfizer is FDA approved.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

Florida

Illinois

wrestlemania x-seven wrestling GIF by WWE

BAH GAWD HE BROKE HIM IN HALF!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, I do think that labeling everyone with reservations "anti-vaxx" is completely disingenuous at worst, or ill-informed at best. I personally know and have talked to two separate people who just scheduled a vaccination appointment now that Pfizer is FDA approved.

For sure. My brother and sister in law just got vaccinated a bit over a week ago. The entire family was frustrated with them, but they were hesitant for their own reasons. They always planned to get it sometime this summer, though.

The good news is- they’re the last of my immediate family (outside of kids) to get vaccinated. Honestly, everyone I know except for my Buddy and his wife have been vaccinated. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3