Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Also very valid and true, as are filter bubbles and that Google is literally different for every human being on the planet based upon preconceived biases and political ideology. :) 

(Sorry, I teach sociology) 

Confirmation bias happens in all circles of life. Which is why even with media reports, you might have to do your own research.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Good for you man! I'm down 15 from January, cholesterol down from 224 to 142, and my pulse rate is down close to 10 bpm. Lifting 3-4 days a week has helped too, but diet is real. :) 

Damn dude. That cholesterol drop takes you right into a good range too. Nice!!

Lifting is key too. Otherwise you're losing muscle. Keeping the engine burning as much as possible is key. Keep it going, it's something I'm going to do on a regular basis even when I get to my goal weight. The reduced hunger sensation part of it is such a great side effect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In a CNN article I just read, single April approximately 1,500 people have evaded border control each day. Assuming the vaccination rate is comparable here/geographically speaking, that's a lot of positives walking through and spreading, which is probably in line with the rest of the dumpster fires that are Texas and Florida, respectively.

that's the closest thing to an answer i've gotten this whole time! but yeah, everything i've seen is that it's roughly in line with the existing case rates of those places.

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, which she and I would both agree with.

All that to say, with Johnson & Johnson just as one example, people need to make their own informed decisions, and there is genuine reason for hesitancy for people at times, before the mob rushes to judgment.

Agreed, but as we discussed here a few days ago, I think the people who have legitimate, fact based concerns are few and far between. I pointed to your mom as someone who has legitimate concerns and reasons for not specifically in fact, so I do acknowledge they’re out there.

That said, in my experience a lot of people who “just have some concerns” are either getting data from poor sources or not trying to educate themselves at all and don’t want to simply say “cuz I don’t wanna”.

Im referring to adults getting vaccinated themselves, not with kids etc.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Also very valid and true, as are filter bubbles and that Google is literally different for every human being on the planet based upon preconceived biases and political ideology. :) 

(Sorry, I teach sociology) 

Why are you sorry? This is true. Its being aware of your biases and being self aware. It's being responsible enough to take the time to educate yourself and double check what you are reading. My biggest issue with people throughout this is their lack of personal responsibility. So many conversations/debates I have had in this thread is me providing sources and information and delving deep, considering what is being said, while the other person doesnt even bother and just spits out whatever they feel.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Good for you man! I'm down 15 from January, cholesterol down from 224 to 142, and my pulse rate is down close to 10 bpm. Lifting 3-4 days a week has helped too, but diet is real. :) 

I read this wrong, and was initially thinking uhh...go to a doctor.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Glen said:

He's not wrong on this, but he's the same dude that downplayed NY's updated Covid death count 2 days ago in a nice little piece entitled "No, there weren't thousands of Covid deaths in New York that no one reported."

He's one of the most biased hack journalists around tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

he's the same dude that downplayed NY's updated Covid death count 2 days ago in a nice little piece entitled "No, there weren't thousands of Covid deaths in New York that no one reported."

… but the article wasn’t downplaying the data. It was correcting a misinterpretation of what the change in data reporting meant.

Previously, NY was reporting the information to the CDC correctly, but the data reported on the NY state COVID dashboard was only displaying data reported from medical care facilities. The difference between these two are over 12,000 cases. The new mayor changed the second set of reporting to be in line with what is reported to the CDC.

People took this story, and ran with the idea that NY hadn’t reported 12,000 deaths at all. This is not the case, at all. So an article was written to explain the difference between the truth and the conclusions being drawn. He even acknowledges in the article that the previous reporting model on the state data board is a massive black eye on the previous administration. And then explained that the CDC’s board was used for tracking data by all major sites, so it doesn’t change what people generally have understood about the totals thus far. It was an issue of transparency, not of accuracy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pwny said:

… but the article wasn’t downplaying the data. It was correcting a misinterpretation of what the change in data reporting meant.

Previously, NY was reporting the information to the CDC correctly, but the data reported on the NY state COVID dashboard was only displaying data reported from medical care facilities. The difference between these two are over 12,000 cases. The new mayor changed the second set of reporting to be in line with what is reported to the CDC.

People took this story, and ran with the idea that NY hadn’t reported 12,000 deaths at all. This is not the case, at all. So an article was written to explain the difference between the truth and the conclusions being drawn. He even acknowledges in the article that the previous reporting model on the state data board is a massive black eye on the previous administration. And then explained that the CDC’s board was used for tracking data by all major sites, so it doesn’t change what people generally have understood about the totals thus far. It was an issue of transparency, not of accuracy.

Context is always appreciated.

Well this is unfortunate to say the least.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/27/health/teacher-covid-students/index.html

An unvaccinated elementary school teacher who took off their mask to read to students ended up infecting more than half of them last May -- and they went on to infect other students, family members and community members, California public health officials reported Friday.

It's a prime example of how easy it is to undermine efforts to protect children too young to be vaccinated, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.

The teacher came to work even though they had Covid-19 symptoms and then took off their mask to read to the young students, a team at Marin County Public Health reported in the CDC's weekly report on death and disease. The teacher assumed the symptoms indicated allergies, not infection, the investigators found.

In the classroom of 22 students, 12 became infected -- including eight out of 10 students in the two front rows.