Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

This new variant is so much more contagious. Get rid of your cloth masks and wear medical masks.

In Ontario we had 3300 new cases. 2300+ were amongst those vaccinated with two doses. Approximately 50% of new hospitalizations are vaccinated with two doses. The new variant is hitting children much harder. This amongst a population with a high percentage of population vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

This new variant is so much more contagious. Get rid of your cloth masks and wear medical masks.

In Ontario we had 3300 new cases. 2300+ were amongst those vaccinated with two doses. Approximately 50% of new hospitalizations are vaccinated with two doses. The new variant is hitting children much harder. This amongst a population with a high percentage of population vaccinated.

I wish KN95s were easier to get in the US 

In Europe you can buy them in any pharmacy or convenience store, I spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to find them in CVS and Walgreens here and all they had were cloth reusables 

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

In Europe you can buy them in any pharmacy or convenience store, I spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to find them in CVS and Walgreens here and all they had were cloth reusables 

Fortunately they’re easy to get here. I’ve got a number of boxes. I personally prefer a surgical mask with a three level cloth mask over top.

Thankfully I can almost eliminate contact with other people.

20 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

who got their booster? how was it like ?

Moderna on Tuesday. 

Arm hurt and had a rough stretch, but was 100% afterward. About 24 hours after the booster, I felt like complete and total crap. Massive headache, chills. Slept like crap. Thursday morning, I was fine. 

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The KN95s are fairly easy, no? Just grab boxes of them on amazon? I would imagine kn95s aren't sold in physical locations because they aren't made to US standards, right? Isn't that the N95? Or is that what you're referring to

Also worth noting 80% of Denmark is vaccinated vs. 70% of cases (~40% effectiveness against cases)

20% of Denmark is boosted vs. 7% of cases (~70% effectiveness against cases)

Both numbers hold up roughly with other numbers that are out there, effectiveness against serious symptoms/hospitalization/death should be higher

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The KN95s are fairly easy, no? Just grab boxes of them on amazon? I would imagine kn95s aren't sold in physical locations because they aren't made to US standards, right? Isn't that the N95? Or is that what you're referring to

Yeah its easy enough to order on Amazon but if you need one in a pinch (like I did yesterday before a flight) you have to go to Home Depot and hope they have a box in stock, which isn't so easy for those of us who live in an urban area.  Didn't see any at the airport either. 

Just spent a month in Europe and its far easier there, just walk into a convenience store and they have them.

Just now, Forge said:

How was travel? I'm supposed to be heading there next month. 

It was fine but things got progressively worse over the course of November and more restrictions going up now because of Omicron 

I'm supposed to be back in January, hoping the borders stay open but could be dicey

• Like 1

I know I’m going to be met with hostility for this. But if Omicron isn’t very deadly and it’s super contagious, isn’t this the one we should all get? If it offers the same natural immunity, I have no idea if it does or doesn’t. And keep in mind I’m vaccinated. But it seems like Covid is never going away and we’re all probably getting it eventually. So idk. And I do realize you don’t know which variant you’re getting when you get it(so I might actually be answering my own question here.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I know I’m going to be met with hostility for this. But if Omicron isn’t very deadly and it’s super contagious, isn’t this the one we should all get? If it offers the same natural immunity, I have no idea if it does or doesn’t. And keep in mind I’m vaccinated. But it seems like Covid is never going away and we’re all probably getting it eventually. So idk. And I do realize you don’t know which variant you’re getting when you get it(so I might actually be answering my own question here.)

From a personal perspective, if everyone is destined to get COVID at some point, then yes, getting a less lethal/severe variant would be best.

The issue still remains, too many getting COVID at the same time simply overwhelms the health care system.  Those people have been swamped for 21 months .... essentially non stop.... and staffing resources are getting critically thin. 

So if you care about those individuals who would be needed to help care for you should you get a more severe case.... or should you need medical care for any injury/ medical issue, being diligent about your actions to limit the spread of COVID is of utmost importance. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

Also worth noting 80% of Denmark is vaccinated vs. 70% of cases (~40% effectiveness against cases)

When 20% of the population makes up 30% of the cases, that's still an L for the anti-vaxxer crowd. Same with the UK vaxxed vs. unvaxxed numbers that they try to paint as a W.

A video shared on social media and viewed thousands of times features American writer Alex Berenson saying that most people who died from COVID-19 in the United Kingdom in September were fully vaccinated. However, the assertion misses the crucial context that a high percentage of the nation has been double vaccinated. The number of COVID-19 deaths, when adjusted proportionally to show the rate per 100,000 people, is higher in the unvaccinated population than the vaccinated population.