Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This is best case scenario. Tbh May as well let Omnicron run rampant and just return to normal as much as possible afterwards. Basically what happened with the Spanish flu

Actually if you read about studies from the Spanish Flu there was major social and economic impact for about a 5 year period. So history is repeating itself. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Actually if you read about studies from the Spanish Flu there was major social and economic impact for about a 5 year period. So history is repeating itself. 

Oh I’m aware and teach about it. I’m speaking purely from a more contagious and much less deadly mutation standpoint, nothing more. Plus the Spanish flu killed a lot more people. (Yes Covid is also awful)

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You know what thread you're in, right? Lol

I didn’t expect a visceral response for saying that it’s best case scenario that the variant is mutating to a milder strain, but perhaps I did a poor job of communicating that.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:09 PM, MWil23 said:

I’ve had it three times, I’m fully vaccinated and boosted, and data shows cloth masks and the vaccine are not working against this variant, I’m not saying that this is awesome news. I’m saying that this is mutating to a much milder and less lethal variant, ergo good news. Come on guys, let’s not pretend that I’m saying something else here.

Actually, this isn't true. The latest data I've seen is a booster shot is 62% effective against infection, but that is going to wane- which early data shows it wanes around 10 weeks. Effectiveness against severe outcomes still seems to be really good with two doses, but especially strong with a booster.

Sources:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Actually, this isn't true. The latest data I've seen is a booster shot is 62% effective against infection, but that is going to wane- which early data shows it wanes around 10 weeks. Effectiveness against severe outcomes still seems to be really good with two doses, but especially strong with a booster.

Sources:

I amend this to say "not as effective". Again, I'm fully vaccinated, fully boosted, and got it...just like I got it the second time after being fully vaccinated. I'm sure that I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma, but I'm saying that it's good that this is mutating to a milder and less lethal strain.

Yes I understand (firsthand) post-Covid lasting symptoms.

Yes I understand (firsthand through my wife) that this is serious, especially with pre-existing comorbidity conditions as I had to take her to the hospital before the vaccine was readily available.

I'd also personally love to see the data on those hospital admissions and what they're admitted for. Are they positive cases for people who are tested pre-surgery? Are they symptomatic? Are they serious cases? Are they cases of people having to go to the hospital to get these tests since at home kits and other places are not providing them due to supply chain issues (that's how it is here where I live, you have to go to the hospital to test now)? Are they lumping non boosted people in the "unvaccinated" group?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'd like to see those data points.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I amend this to say "not as effective". Again, I'm fully vaccinated, fully boosted, and got it...just like I got it the second time after being fully vaccinated. I'm sure that I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma, but I'm saying that it's good that this is mutating to a milder and less lethal strain.

Yes I understand (firsthand) post-Covid lasting symptoms.

Yes I understand (firsthand through my wife) that this is serious, especially with pre-existing comorbidity conditions as I had to take her to the hospital before the vaccine was readily available.

I'd also personally love to see the data on those hospital admissions and what they're admitted for. Are they positive cases for people who are tested pre-surgery? Are they symptomatic? Are they serious cases? Are they cases of people having to go to the hospital to get these tests since at home kits and other places are not providing them due to supply chain issues (that's how it is here where I live, you have to go to the hospital to test now)? Are they lumping non boosted people in the "unvaccinated" group?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'd like to see those data points.

NY is starting to differentiate their data, and as you'd expect- there are a lot of incidental positives:

NYC is seeing a crazy high number of incidental positives. I'd wager a bet it's due to two reasons:

1) They're further along in their Omicron wave than upstate NY. Here in upstate NY- our Omicron wave started about two weeks ago. Delta was hitting us pretty hard compared to NYC, so we were (perhaps are?) still seeing a good amount of hospitalizations due to Delta.

2) NYC is more highly vaccinated than upstate NY, so more infections will be milder or asymptomatic.

I agree, though, we do have to start learning to live with the virus. I think we're transitioning from govts reducing risk for their communities to a more individual based risk assessment, which I actually support. People have a wealth of options to minimize their chances of catching a severe case of COVD- vaccinate, booster, wear a kn95 or an n95, reduce exposure risk, etc...

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

What hospital in their right minds, under regular circumstances even, admits a patient experiencing no symptoms?

Ones where you go into a hospital for any routine procedure and they automatically administer a COVID test to see whether or not they can do that procedure. It happens a lot more than you'd think.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ones where you go into a hospital for any routine procedure and they automatically administer a COVID test to see whether or not they can do that procedure. It happens a lot more than you'd think.

I’m assuming you mean cases where the person is admitted for something unrelated to Covid but the person is asymptomatic/has mild symptoms?

For example, someone pancreatitis or appendicitis but also unknowingly had covid?

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's not admitting an asymptomatic patient though... 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m assuming you mean cases where the person is admitted for something unrelated to Covid but the person is asymptomatic/has mild symptoms?

For example, someone pancreatitis or appendicitis but also unknowingly had covid?

Correct

I.E. I had a student go in for a back surgery, she tested positive for COVID (vaxxed and asymptomatic) and had that count as a positive hospital case. I realize these are outliers to a degree, but it would appear NYC is a 23% outlier, which IMO is significant with the "overwhelming hospital resources" portion on this particular strain Omnicron, which was my initial "this is good news that it's mutating" point of view.

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

That's not admitting an asymptomatic patient though... 

LOL

Bro, come on, read it in context of what I was saying. Not showing symptoms specific to COVID. :) 

According to new estimates, up to 1.6 million Americans have chronic problems with their sense of smell because of covid-19. Seniors are especially vulnerable, experts say.

Some immunocompromised Americans may be eligible for a fourth shot to protect them against the coronavirus as early as this week, according to recently updated recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Those with weakened immune systems, an estimated 7 million people in the United States, are more at risk of becoming severely ill after contracting the virus, which has claimed more than 837,000 lives across the country, data from Johns Hopkins University shows.

One eye-opening study out of Norway looked at an omicron outbreak at a Nov. 30 holiday party where 66 people of 117 fully vaccinated attendees tested positive for the virus and 15 had probable cases. More than a dozen of those infected said their symptoms cleared in a couple of days, while 62 attendees said they were still experiencing some symptoms around the one-week mark. None of the cases required hospitalization as of Dec. 13, two weeks after the party, researchers found.