Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

19 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Interesting. Did you change your stance on Novavax?

I’m still concerned about the issue I presented, although I’ve never been Anti NovaVax. Some people go in “all positive” or “all negative” mindsets to fit their narrative. I post all pros and cons that I can find. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

@ramssuperbowl99 what’s your opinion on the Novavax vaccine and this article touting it as the best one so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619276/

I haven't followed it, it's been nothing but other work unfortunately. Everything non-COVID that got shelved last year is now a year behind schedule. 

I'll look at it this weekend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xenos said:

@ramssuperbowl99 what’s your opinion on the Novavax vaccine and this article touting it as the best one so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619276/

That data is awesome, hopefully we get the full results soon instead of the 2 page sheet. The UK portion hasn't been peer reviewed but is up, so the rest shouldn't be too far behind. (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.13.21256639v1)

Both this and the mRNA are immunizing against the same part of the virus so it makes sense that the efficacy is similar. Most of the side effects look more immune system related to me (based partially on the timing, the symptoms are worse relative to control on Day 2), but by then you'd expect the vaccine to be pretty much cleared out. So overall similar efficacy and more tolerable is a win, plus the logistical benefits. My only questions would be manufacturing, which I'm not an expert in, but that's just because they haven't shared a ton of data about that yet, not that we have warning signs or anything. So nothing but good news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That data is awesome, hopefully we get the full results soon instead of the 2 page sheet. The UK portion hasn't been peer reviewed but is up, so the rest shouldn't be too far behind. (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.13.21256639v1)

Both this and the mRNA are immunizing against the same part of the virus so it makes sense that the efficacy is similar. Most of the side effects look more immune system related to me (based partially on the timing, the symptoms are worse relative to control on Day 2), but by then you'd expect the vaccine to be pretty much cleared out. So overall similar efficacy and more tolerable is a win, plus the logistical benefits. My only questions would be manufacturing, which I'm not an expert in, but that's just because they haven't shared a ton of data about that yet, not that we have warning signs or anything. So nothing but good news.

Sweet GIF

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But seriously, the US probably won’t use it but it would be such a boon to the world and Covax if the logistical issues can be resolved.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Free:

Covid-19 global updates: Spread of delta variant prompts new restrictions worldwide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/06/28/coronavirus-latest-updates/

It's going to be interesting to see what certain countries strive for as far as the prevalence of COVID is concerned. Gottlieb seems to think the US will differ in response than Israel since Israel is being extra safe in hopes to reach COVID zero where as with a country as big as the US with so much interstate traveling that seems impossible, so the US strategy seems to be ok with the virus gaining a bit of steam. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/dr-scott-gottlieb-daily-new-us-covid-cases-will-not-ever-go-to-zero.html 

"“Israel is a poor proxy in terms of what they’re doing relative to our situation here, because Israel is really going for a situation where they want zero Covid,” said Gottlieb, who serves on the board of Covid vaccine maker Pfizer. “We’re not going to try to get this down to zero cases a day” in the U.S."

“There’s part of the country that are going to be largely impervious to a lot of spread, and other parts of the country that are more vulnerable.”

Just hope you live in an area with a high vaccination rate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

It's going to be interesting to see what certain countries strive for as far as the prevalence of COVID is concerned. Gottlieb seems to think the US will differ in response than Israel since Israel is being extra safe in hopes to reach COVID zero where as with a country as big as the US with so much interstate traveling that seems impossible, so the US strategy seems to be ok with the virus gaining a bit of steam. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/dr-scott-gottlieb-daily-new-us-covid-cases-will-not-ever-go-to-zero.html 

"“Israel is a poor proxy in terms of what they’re doing relative to our situation here, because Israel is really going for a situation where they want zero Covid,” said Gottlieb, who serves on the board of Covid vaccine maker Pfizer. “We’re not going to try to get this down to zero cases a day” in the U.S."

“There’s part of the country that are going to be largely impervious to a lot of spread, and other parts of the country that are more vulnerable.”

Just hope you live in an area with a high vaccination rate. 

The WHO is being extra careful right now. But outside of a huge third wave, I can’t see us going back since there’s no political will. At the most, mask coverings but no lockdowns again.

• Like 1

More NFL vaccination info.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/21/mmqb-sean-mcvay-expectations-burnout-covid-protocol-vaccines

And really, going through this for everyone has revealed that football players are split in a way that’s not so different from the way the rest of the U.S. is split. One involved official said there are four categories of player, and they’re close to being broken up evenly—each representing about a quarter of the league.

The first is the young player who’s generally going to do what he’s told—and will get the shot, if he hasn’t already—to prevent there being any unnecessary barrier in advancing his career. The second is the player who believes in the medicine, and got the shot early, in a lot of cases before his team started offering it. The third is the group of players who don’t want to get the vaccine, but will as a matter of convenience. The fourth is players like Beasley, who feel opposed to the vaccine strongly enough to go through the 2020 protocols again to avoid it.

And those groups are coalescing in the statistics now. Sources say new data collected by the league and union showed on Friday afternoon that about 55% of all NFL players have had at least one shot, which is up from around 30% just a few weeks ago. I talked to one agent the other day who said before the protocols were released, a quarter of his clients had at least one shot. He expected by early this week, that number would jump to about three-quarters of his list.

Why? It’s simple. Teams can’t say they’ll cut a player because he’s unvaccinated, or not sign a player because he’s unvaccinated. But the truth is that those things are going to happen. If a team needs to bring in, say, a backup corner on the Tuesday of a game week, the kind of thing that happens routinely, it can sign a vaccinated player and put him on the practice field Wednesday. An unvaccinated player, on the other hand, will have to go through the five-day testing cadence from 2020, making it a challenge to even get him to the game Sunday.

So if a team is choosing to stopgap that need with either a vaccinated or unvaccinated player, which player do you think it will choose? It really could be that academic.