Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

For some reason this article has been paywalled:

Coronavirus vaccines are widely available in the U.S. So why are scientists working on new ones?

The emergence of variants made it clear this virus is unlikely to be vanquished by a once-and-done vaccination campaign. Global supply constraints are dividing the world into countries where dinner parties can safely resume and others where hospitals remain at risk of being overwhelmed. A more menacing variant might emerge. Immunity could taper off over time. This could be a dress rehearsal for an even more catastrophic pandemic.  The coronavirus is evolving, and relatively minor changes to the spike could make it unrecognizable to the disease-blockers.  At Duke University School of Medicine, researchers were trying to create a booster shot and discovered, to their surprise, that their vaccine — a bit of the coronavirus spike protein assembled on a submicroscopic scaffold called a ferritin nanoparticle — generated antibodies that could protect against other coronaviruses, including bat viruses and the original SARS. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/30/new-coronavirus-vaccines/

Paywalled:

Johnson & Johnson says its coronavirus vaccine is effective against delta variant.

Blood samples obtained from eight inoculated people who participated in a laboratory study showed that Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose shot generated a strong immune response against the delta variant, the New Brunswick, N.J.-based company said. (The results have not been peer reviewed.) Earlier clinical trials had shown the vaccine offered 66 percent protection against symptomatic infection. The data so far indicates that the three U.S.-approved vaccines offer effective protection against all known variants of the virus. Analysis by British health authorities, drawing on data from a large pool of people, indicates that the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA vaccine provides 96 percent protection against hospitalization from the delta variant, which was first detected in India.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/01/johnson-vaccine-delta-variant-covid/

On 6/30/2021 at 4:11 AM, WizeGuy said:

Also, curious- I'm not sure where you guys live, but if you lived in an area with a low vaccination rate- would you wear a mask? I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a pretty good vaccination rate (72% of adults with one dose/60% of total population) and a low case count, so I feel comfortable not wearing a mask. 

That’s what some experts are recommending.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/why-us-isnt-following-world-090001163.html

Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University's School of Public Health, told the New York Times that he would be more careful if he were in some of those states that had low vaccination rates, despite being fully vaccinated.

"I would not be excited about going indoors without wearing a mask -- even though I'm vaccinated," he told the Times.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Well it’s important to know the type of vaccines they received as well. I think at least 60% were given the Chinese vaccine Sinopharm, which there’s pretty good reason to believe is not as effective as Pfizer or Moderna.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/seychelles-the-worlds-most-vaccinated-nation-sees-renewed-covid-19-surge-11620669853

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

59 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Well it’s important to know the type of vaccines they received as well. I think at least 60% were given the Chinese vaccine Sinopharm, which there’s pretty good reason to believe is not as effective as Pfizer or Moderna.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/seychelles-the-worlds-most-vaccinated-nation-sees-renewed-covid-19-surge-11620669853

Sinopharm is sadly the one vaccine where they haven't seen the >99% prevention of hospitalization/ICU/death.   Their initial studies that promoted 99 percent prevention of severe disease were almost all healthy patients, and few > 60 years of age.    Several countries are reporting 80-95 percent reduction rates in the hospitalization/ICU/death rates...which is good, but it's not nearly as effective.   There's a massive difference from >99 to even 95, let alone 80 percent. 

https://theconversation.com/what-are-the-sinopharm-and-sinovac-vaccines-and-how-effective-are-they-two-experts-explain-162258

As a contrast - the big 4 vaccines used in NA - all have hospitalization/ICU prevention rates of >99 percent.   

Honestly, if you are double vaccinated with any of the big 4 (and Novovax seems promising as well) - life returns to normal for you.   The reports in the UK demonstrate that getting Covid while double-vaccinated basically makes it the cold, or flu - only severely immunocompromised are at risk because they represent almost all of the rare cases in NA/UK.   If you're healthy, it's truly unlucky lottery-loser type odds to get seriously ill from Covid-19.   Now, that doesn't mean you can't get it (see Chris Paul), but prevention of severe illness remains covered - the Seychelles news only confirms what other countries are seeing - Sinopharm is the one vaccine that doesn't match up with the others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Sinopharm is sadly the one vaccine where they haven't seen the >99% prevention of hospitalization/ICU/death.   Their initial studies that promoted 99 percent prevention of severe disease were almost all healthy patients, and few > 60 years of age.    Several countries are reporting 80-95 percent reduction rates in the hospitalization/ICU/death rates...which is good, but it's not nearly as effective.   There's a massive difference from >99 to even 95, let alone 80 percent. 

https://theconversation.com/what-are-the-sinopharm-and-sinovac-vaccines-and-how-effective-are-they-two-experts-explain-162258

As a contrast - the big 4 vaccines used in NA - all have hospitalization/ICU prevention rates of >99 percent.   

Honestly, if you are double vaccinated with any of the big 4 (and Novovax seems promising as well) - life returns to normal for you.   The reports in the UK demonstrate that getting Covid while double-vaccinated basically makes it the cold, or flu - only severely immunocompromised are at risk because they represent almost all of the rare cases in NA/UK.   If you're healthy, it's truly unlucky lottery-loser type odds to get seriously ill from Covid-19.   Now, that doesn't mean you can't get it (see Chris Paul), but prevention of severe illness remains covered - the Seychelles news only confirms what other countries are seeing - Sinopharm is the one vaccine that doesn't match up with the others.

Sucks that Seychelles had to pay the price for further confirmation.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:15 AM, WizeGuy said:

Same. My wife has gone back to wearing a mask at grocery stores because we do have an almost two year old at home, but I'm more of the mindset of monitoring cases before taking that step, which as of right now is only at a .5% positive. We just don't take him to highly dense areas. 

Cases have fallen off a cliff while vaccinations continue to rise. I have to think NY (and the NE in general) is hitting a solid threshold for herd immunity to take hold with the high vaccination rates and the fact we were hit hard by COVID.

Also, it's this fact that makes it infuriating that my brother has NOT been vaccinated yet. We're put in a weird position where we want our son to see his uncle and cousins, but we're also putting him at unneeded risk. Since the virus prevalence is so low right now- we're allowing my brother to be around our son without a mask, but if cases rise again- I'm laying the hammer down. He said he'll get vaxxed soon, but he's continuing to play with fire and putting all the kids at risk. I know, I know- kids don't die from COVID at nearly the rate adults do, but I still don't want my son getting a virus we're still learning a lot about.  

You are a stronger and better person than me. I finally relented and flew to see my in-laws a couple of weeks ago so that my son could see his uncle and aunt, grandparents and especially, his great grandmother (first time for her). Unfortunately, only his great grandmother is vaccinated. His uncle and aunt got Covid previously so there’s that. But his grandparents are infuriatingly anti Covid vaccine. Luckily it’s been more than a week since we’ve been back and he doesn’t seem to be having any symptoms. We are also keeping him out of daycare until Tuesday because he was around unvaccinated people. The trip went well despite their occasional weird remarks about the vaccine. I think I’ll wait until there’s EUA for his age group before I take him back.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, Xenos said:

You are a stronger and better person than me. I finally relented and flew to see my in-laws a couple of weeks ago so that my son could see his uncle and aunt, grandparents and especially, his great grandmother (first time for her). Unfortunately, only his great grandmother is vaccinated. His uncle and aunt got Covid previously so there’s that. But his grandparents are infuriatingly anti Covid vaccine. Luckily it’s been more than a week since we’ve been back and he doesn’t seem to be having any symptoms. We are also keeping him out of daycare until Tuesday because he was around unvaccinated people. The trip went well despite their occasional weird remarks about the vaccine. I think I’ll wait until there’s EUA for his age group before I take him back.

It's all a balancing act of risk/reward. We're trying to keep him out of big public gatherings, though we have taken him to the mall and Target (both of which are never jammed pack with people, so we feel a bit more comfortable). My brother and my nieces and nephews are really the only ones who aren't vaccinated, so they're the only unvaccinated people who sees, and even then it's once every few weeks to a month. They're planning on getting vaxxed soon. It's important to us that he starts to get that bond with his cousins and is able to view them in a more human way. 

• Like 1

That seemingly sterilizing immunity seems to be waning as now Pfizer is only 64% effective and preventing infection. Is that due to the Delta variant, antibodies waning and relying on memory cells, or possibly even the time between doses because the UK and Canada are showing better numbers but they also delayed their second doses?

The good news is the memory cell response seems to be robust, which will prevent against severe COVID and also indicates we may have long term immunity. The vaccine is still 93% effective against severe COVID.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-drop-pfizer-vaccine-protection-against-infections-still-strong-2021-07-05/

@ramssuperbowl99 @Shanedorf @Deadpulse 

What say you about these results? Israel seems to be a good indicator going forward...

Edited by WizeGuy