Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

No data on if this is a good idea yet. But I can understand the reasoning.

https://news.yahoo.com/experts-had-johnson-johnsons-single-120725534.html

Some experts who got Johnson & Johnson's one-dose vaccine are trying an extra shot of Moderna's or Pfizer's vaccine to try to protect against the fast-spreading Delta coronavirus variant.

Officials have not recommended getting a booster shot after J&J's vaccine or any other vaccine, and two experts said everyone should wait for more data.

Some additional good news for #teampfizer and #teammoderna:

https://news.yahoo.com/study-suggests-pfizer-moderna-covid-131904210.html

A new study reportedly suggests the COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna could provide protection for "years."

As The New York Times reports, scientists in a new study sought to determine whether "vaccination alone" will provide long-lasting protection against COVID-19 after research suggested the vaccines may offer years of protection for those who were previously infected with the coronavirus. The study consisted of 41 people who received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, and the researchers extracted samples from lymph nodes of 14 participants. They found that 15 weeks after the first dose, "the number of memory cells that recognized the coronavirus had not declined," the Times writes.

"The fact that the reactions continued for almost four months after vaccination — that's a very, very good sign," Washington University in St. Louis immunologist Ali Ellebedy, who led the study, told the Times.

Going on vacation tomorrow, and researching mask requirements in the two states we'll be in sucks.

Soo...can anyone give me the skinny on Wisconsin and Michigan rules?  And past the actual rules - what are people really doing?  I'll bring my mask, but would like to be prepared.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

Soo...can anyone give me the skinny on Wisconsin and Michigan rules?  And past the actual rules - what are people really doing?  I'll bring my mask, but would like to be prepared.

TL;DR:

If you’re the Governor of Michigan, you have different rules for yourself and your spouse than everyone else.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Going on vacation tomorrow, and researching mask requirements in the two states we'll be in sucks.

This is what I could find for Michigan.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/coronavirus/MDHHS_Face_Mask_Recommendations_5.20.21_725941_7.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theJ said:

If you're vaccinated, you're good. Stopped even keeping my mask in my pocket recently.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, WizeGuy said:

It's going to be interesting to see what certain countries strive for as far as the prevalence of COVID is concerned. Gottlieb seems to think the US will differ in response than Israel since Israel is being extra safe in hopes to reach COVID zero where as with a country as big as the US with so much interstate traveling that seems impossible, so the US strategy seems to be ok with the virus gaining a bit of steam. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/dr-scott-gottlieb-daily-new-us-covid-cases-will-not-ever-go-to-zero.html 

"“Israel is a poor proxy in terms of what they’re doing relative to our situation here, because Israel is really going for a situation where they want zero Covid,” said Gottlieb, who serves on the board of Covid vaccine maker Pfizer. “We’re not going to try to get this down to zero cases a day” in the U.S."

“There’s part of the country that are going to be largely impervious to a lot of spread, and other parts of the country that are more vulnerable.”

Just hope you live in an area with a high vaccination rate. 

How realistic is it to get to 0 covid for any country? 

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

depends, whats the vaccination rate? The measles disappeared because almost everyone got the vaccine for like 100 years (antivax has seen it dip to 90%). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Eventually? That's a long time. Enough time for COVID to change as a virus like the flu did, people's opinions on vaccines to change, the vaccines themselves and general pharmaceutical technology to improve, and we don't know how well our immune systems would do with what we have now versus the wide array of possible COVID descendants that we may see in our lifetimes if it becomes a normal part of life. 

It's possible, but beyond that, who knows.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're vaccinated, you're good. Stopped even keeping my mask in my pocket recently.

Same. My wife has gone back to wearing a mask at grocery stores because we do have an almost two year old at home, but I'm more of the mindset of monitoring cases before taking that step, which as of right now is only at a .5% positive. We just don't take him to highly dense areas. 

Cases have fallen off a cliff while vaccinations continue to rise. I have to think NY (and the NE in general) is hitting a solid threshold for herd immunity to take hold with the high vaccination rates and the fact we were hit hard by COVID.

Also, it's this fact that makes it infuriating that my brother has NOT been vaccinated yet. We're put in a weird position where we want our son to see his uncle and cousins, but we're also putting him at unneeded risk. Since the virus prevalence is so low right now- we're allowing my brother to be around our son without a mask, but if cases rise again- I'm laying the hammer down. He said he'll get vaxxed soon, but he's continuing to play with fire and putting all the kids at risk. I know, I know- kids don't die from COVID at nearly the rate adults do, but I still don't want my son getting a virus we're still learning a lot about.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

depends, whats the vaccination rate? The measles disappeared because almost everyone got the vaccine for like 100 years (antivax has seen it dip to 90%). 

Also, curious- I'm not sure where you guys live, but if you lived in an area with a low vaccination rate- would you wear a mask? I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a pretty good vaccination rate (72% of adults with one dose/60% of total population) and a low case count, so I feel comfortable not wearing a mask.