Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

29 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Biden and Co are saying they're going to send people "community-by-community, neighborhood-by-neighborhood, and oft times door-to-door" to get people vaccinated......... this will work out well....... that is, assuming they actually do it.

I’m sure they’ll try. The execution is always the hardest part as well as getting the desired results. The biggest issue is overcoming vaccine hesitancy among certain minority groups. After that, I would start thinking more about donating a bigger vaccines abroad since I feel that the remaining Americans will never get it.

On 6/24/2021 at 4:54 PM, BayRaider said:

I’m still concerned about the issue I presented, although I’ve never been Anti NovaVax. Some people go in “all positive” or “all negative” mindsets to fit their narrative. I post all pros and cons that I can find. 

So you’re still concerned about the spiked protein?

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

So you’re still concerned about the spiked protein?

As far as I’m aware, Salk’s research hasn’t been disputed nor has Novavax made any official comment. With Salk’s research, you wouldn’t notice anything initially. The spike protein without the virus attached damages the vascular system, which would cause major health problems in later age. 

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As far as I’m aware, Salk’s research hasn’t been disputed nor has Novavax made any official comment. With Salk’s research, you wouldn’t notice anything initially. The spike protein without the virus attached damages the vascular system, which would cause major health problems in later age. 

Perhaps the reason Novavax never responded is because Salk’s research is still theoretical. There’s still questions about how much spike protein was actually injected into their study.

Edited by Xenos

5 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Biden and Co are saying they're going to send people "community-by-community, neighborhood-by-neighborhood, and oft times door-to-door" to get people vaccinated......... this will work out well....... that is, assuming they actually do it.

Lol. 

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Lol. 

No more hilarious than offering a million dollar lottery for getting vaccinated. Barring some kind of immunocompromised situation or social economical challenge, if people would just get the vaccine when they’re eligible for it, this problem would be over by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

No more hilarious than offering a million dollar lottery for getting vaccinated. Barring some kind of immunocompromised situation or social economical challenge, if people would just get the vaccine when they’re eligible for it, this problem would be over by now.

If you think people going door to door, demanding proof of vaccination, and pressuring people to make this decision is going to do anything productive, I’m not really sure what to say. It’s only going to lead to further contention. If someone is going to get vaccinated at this point, it’s going to be their own decision. I agree with you though. I put this in the same category as a vaccination lottery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If you think people going door to door, demanding proof of vaccination, and pressuring people to make this decision is going to do anything productive, I’m not really sure what to say. It’s only going to lead to further contention. If someone is going to get vaccinated at this point, it’s going to be their own decision. I agree with you though. I put this in the same category as a vaccination lottery.

Except the lottery worked where this undoubtedly fail. Vaccination levels in Ohio went up quite a bit when the lottery was announced and the second winner said it was the only reason he got vaccinated. This is just going to turn into nothing more than getting those annoying phone calls about trying to reach someone about their cars warranty. 

That's why I ended with "if they even do it" bc I'm sure someone up there has to have enough common sense to say "guys, you know what, this might not be such a good idea"..... maybe..... nah, doubt it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, that's not how it's going to go. Theyre not going to demand proof of vaccination. Who has that handy, anyways? 

Theyre going to try to educate people who may not care enough to go out of their way to get vaccinated. The vaccination rate has slowed dramtically. This is especially concerning in the south. You do what you have to do for the betterment of the country even if it seems futile. It's too damn important to just give up and say 'well, this is where we're at. Good luck!' You exhaust all options before that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Yeah, that's not how it's going to go. Theyre not going to demand proof of vaccination. Who has that handy, anyways? 

Theyre going to try to educate people who may not care enough to go out of their way to get vaccinated. The vaccination rate has slowed dramtically. This is especially concerning in the south. You do what you have to do for the betterment of the country even if it seems futile. It's too damn important to just give up and say 'well, this is where we're at. Good luck!' You exhaust all options before that.

They have to ask if people are vaccinated though so he's not totally wrong. Why waste their time on people who are vaccinated?

They're going to hand out pamphlets like the religious nutjobs who come to my door every summer lol. 

I get it's important but we don't speak for everyone. It's a horrible idea IMO. They've done advertising, endless campaigns, free tents everywhere, free rides for those without access, etc. I just don't see this working, at all. Some people really, really, really hate being bothered at their own home especially about something being shoved down their throats for the last 6 months. We know it's important but they probably don't care and a door-to-door campaign likely won't change that. I'd be shocked if this works and if even 3% of the doors they visit get people to sign up. That number will likely be < 1%

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

People have different reasons for vaccine hesitancy, and not all people who haven't gotten a vaccine today say they will never get it.

I agree with you that the bulk of the remaining unvaccinated population has staked their identity on being unvaccinated, so there's no point in outreach to the rural, white, poorly educated areas where they tend to live. That said, not everyone who isn't getting the vaccine is doing so for political reasons. There are plenty of other people who are confused over the amount of information, skeptical of big pharma in general, and for some communities potentially scarred from past mistreatment. Outreach there could be much more impactful.

And that's not my opinion either: vaccination rates amongst black Americans have been steadily creeping up, and as of late June surpassed the total share of doses going to white Americans. Also, keep in mind that even if we only get a small percentage of people, with probably about 2/3rds of us immune already, the relative change could feel larger. (E.g. At 66% immune, an additional 3% vaccinated would decrease the number of vulnerable people by 10%.)

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Except the lottery worked where this undoubtedly fail. Vaccination levels in Ohio went up quite a bit when the lottery was announced and the second winner said it was the only reason he got vaccinated. This is just going to turn into nothing more than getting those annoying phone calls about trying to reach someone about their cars warranty. 

That's why I ended with "if they even do it" bc I'm sure someone up there has to have enough common sense to say "guys, you know what, this might not be such a good idea"..... maybe..... nah, doubt it

They’re going to do it because under 50% of the entire population is vaccinated. It’s a success if they can get shots into the arms of people who still don’t have access ie. essential workers especially in communities of colors, as well as the truly hesitant. The rest will probably not take it. In which case, you have to leave it to the institutions like schools, hospitals, private businesses etc. to mandate vaccination.

Though this shouldn’t be the only strategy. At this point, I would personally donate 50% to 80% of our vaccines abroad to countries that need and want it more than the US.

Edit: also going door to door is surprisingly and annoyingly effective based on my experience of having to do the same. You’re not going to get everyone obviously but there’s a certain percentage that will do it. And the main goal right now is to get as many shots into arms as possible.

Edited by Xenos

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

People have different reasons for vaccine hesitancy, and not all people who haven't gotten a vaccine today say they will never get it.

I agree with you that the bulk of the remaining unvaccinated population has staked their identity on being unvaccinated, so there's no point in outreach to the rural, white, poorly educated areas where they tend to live. That said, not everyone who isn't getting the vaccine is doing so for political reasons. There are plenty of other people who are confused over the amount of information, skeptical of big pharma in general, and for some communities potentially scarred from past mistreatment. Outreach there could be much more impactful.

And that's not my opinion either: vaccination rates amongst black Americans have been steadily creeping up, and as of late June surpassed the total share of doses going to white Americans. Also, keep in mind that even if we only get a small percentage of people, with probably about 2/3rds of us immune already, the relative change could feel larger. (E.g. At 66% immune, an additional 3% vaccinated would decrease the number of vulnerable people by 10%.)

Episode 5 Thumbs Up GIF by America's Got Talent

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth. If we can reach these poorer, densely packed neighborhoods in the inner city- that would be impactful. I'm imagining mobile vaccination vans going into poorer neighborhoods in the city with teams of people from that respective community and experts going door to door trying to educate and empathize with people, and offering them a J&J shot on the spot. They may be able to get a bit of a movement going. Of course, logistics are always way more complicated than ideas, but my county has vaccination rates and COVID outbreaks specifically tied to zip codes, so we should at least have a good idea of where to 'attack' (lack of better terms).

Also, I really believe conversations between people where there's no shaming goes a long way, which is why it's vital we get people from within those communities and experts together to try and change minds. 

Finally, I'm optimistic we may see a bit of a rise in vaccination rates once the vaccines are fully FDA approved. I've heard quite a few people say they'd get plucked once the vaccines aren't in emergency mode anymore, but that could all just be talk. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth. If we can reach these poorer, densely packed neighborhoods in the inner city- that would be impactful. I'm imagining mobile vaccination vans going into poorer neighborhoods in the city with teams of people from that respective community and experts going door to door trying to educate and empathize with people, and offering them a J&J shot on the spot. They may be able to get a bit of a movement going. Of course, logistics are always way more complicated than ideas, but my county has vaccination rates and COVID outbreaks specifically tied to zip codes, so we should at least have a good idea of where to 'attack' (lack of better terms).

Also, I really believe conversations between people where there's no shaming goes a long way, which is why it's vital we get people from within those communities and experts together to try and change minds. 

Finally, I'm optimistic we may see a bit of a rise in vaccination rates once the vaccines are fully FDA approved. I've heard quite a few people say they'd get plucked once the vaccines aren't in emergency mode anymore, but that could all just be talk. 

I actually wanted to get your and @ramssuperbowl99 opinions about why it’s taking so long to give full FDA approval for Pfizer’s vaccine.

Also have you read the counter argument?

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/06/08/why-we-petitioned-the-fda-to-refrain-from-fully-approving-any-covid-19-vaccine-this-year/