the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Herman brought up an interesting point. Cutting Preston Smith and Dean Lowry could have gotten you Kyle Fuller

Except it's not a good point. Kyle Fuller could've gotten more money but he specifically chose to go to Denver to play in Fangio's defense for 1 year to raise his stock and cash in next year. Fuller wasn't coming to GB for the deal he signed with Denver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Except it's not a good point. Kyle Fuller could've gotten more money but he specifically chose to go to Denver to play in Fangio's defense for 1 year to raise his stock and cash in next year. Fuller wasn't coming to GB for the deal he signed with Denver.

Maybe, maybe not. But there were others of his caliber out there that were "too expensive." 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The Packers could have cut Josh Jackson (who is so bad he wasn't even active down the stretch last year) and Oren Burks (who's basically worthless) and saved just over $2.2m. 

In other words, the Packers basically could have bought a proven DB like Justin Coleman or Desmond King (who can also return punts) for the price of simply dropping 2 players who are dead weight on the roster.

Smh.

And then you have to account for the TWO players that are taking their spots as #50 and #51 for 660k apiece.  So  you're $2.2M quickly dwindles down to 880k savings...

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Herman brought up an interesting point. Cutting Preston Smith and Dean Lowry could have gotten you Kyle Fuller

And then you're replacing ~600 snaps on the DL and ~800 snaps at EDGE.  Let me ask you this, do you think that finding a rookie EDGE/DL or CB to play at a high level is going to be harder to find?

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

How does cutting P-Smith help GB get Kyle Fuller in a 1YR/9.5M deal?  Didn't GB already recover most of P-Smith's 2021 cap number with  the restructure?  I thought his cap hit if we cut him was 8M.  After the restructure it's 8.75M.

I think it was referring to the pre-restructure.  We saved ~$8M by releasing him, and then add Dean Lowry's $3M and that would give the Packers ~$11M to spend.

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The Packers could have cut Josh Jackson (who is so bad he wasn't even active down the stretch last year) and Oren Burks (who's basically worthless) and saved just over $2.2m. 

In other words, the Packers basically could have bought a proven DB like Justin Coleman or Desmond King (who can also return punts) for the price of simply dropping 2 players who are dead weight on the roster.

Smh.

You could say this about literally any team in the NFL, stop. "Oh you could cut these two underperforming guys and signed so and so."

If you want to talk about how we haven't restructured Rodgers or extended Adams, I'm all ears. The above is just dumb.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And then you're replacing ~600 snaps on the DL and ~800 snaps at EDGE.  Let me ask you this, do you think that finding a rookie EDGE/DL or CB to play at a high level is going to be harder to find?

They drafted Gary and are doing everything they can not to play him. IF you have to roll with Smith and Gary and give breather snaps to Garvin and whoever else in order to have a competent CB tandem. I can live with that. It's the same with Dillon and Jones. No matter how good a deal the Jones contract is, money is money and it's starting to hinder some other premium spots on the roster. 

Yes there is still a bit of time to get some guys, but I still contend there are some roster building issues going on

And I am ****ty at the cap stuff so I rely on others for that info

Edited by cannondale

19 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

We're playing Fangio's defense. That was the whole point of bringing in Barry.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You could say this about literally any team in the NFL, stop. "Oh you could cut these two underperforming guys and signed so and so."

If you want to talk about how we haven't restructured Rodgers or extended Adams, I'm all ears. The above is just dumb.

But why are Jackson and Burks on the roster, being paid $2m and $1m respectively...

That's what's dumb, especially in a year where we are literally restructuring roster bonuses to save a measly $500k on the cap.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And then you have to account for the TWO players that are taking their spots as #50 and #51 for 660k apiece.  So  you're $2.2M quickly dwindles down to 880k savings...

Well one of the players taking a spot is the guy you just signed with their money. And that guy is a much better player. 

I don't know why Jackson and Burks are still on the team....REGARDLESS of whether we add anyone else. Those 2 are dead sticks. 

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

They drafted Gary and are doing everything they can not to play him. IF you have to roll with Smith and Gary and give breather snaps to Garvin and whoever else in order to have a competent CB tandem. I can live with that. It's the same with Dillon and Jones. No matter how good a deal the Jones contract is, money is money and it's starting to hinder some other premium spots on the roster. 

Yes there is still a bit of time to get some guys, but I still contend there are some roster building issues going on

Except the fact that the Packers aren't keeping Gary off the field.  He was on the field for nearly double the amount of snaps as his rookie year.  Your top 2 EDGE play ~60% of the defensive snaps, and EDGE3 play ~40% of the defensive snaps unless you have a player (i.e. prime Von Miller) playing 90%+ of the defensive snaps.  Preston Smith played nearly 80% of the snaps, and Za'Darius Smith played nearly 85% of the defensive snaps which means a chunk of those snaps are coming from Z lined up on the DL.  I'd imagine we'll see an uptick in Gary's snaps this year and play ~60% of the snaps, while Preston Smith will see a decrease in snaps.  But you're getting back to the point at hand, do you not see a drastic drop off from Preston Smith to Jonathan Garvin or Randy Ramsey?  Those two didn't play because they weren't very good.  You hope they make a Y2 jump, but expecting them to come in and not be liabilities is a huge jump IMO.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

But why are Jackson and Burks on the roster, being paid $2m and $1m respectively...

That's what's dumb, especially in a year where we are literally restructuring roster bonuses to save a measly $500k on the cap.

Because the amount of savings is minimal at best.  You don't cut camp bodies for minimal savings.  There's a reason why you usually see rookie contracts being finished unless they're squeezed out because of cap numbers or other off-the-field issues.