the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

At this point, regardless whether we make a move or not, I just want the draft to get here lol. At least I know I'll get some action for 3 days in a row. 

GB trades 2021 picks for 2022 and 2023 picks.  Stockpiling for the future!!!!

• Like 1

If we get to the draft and one of Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye, Malcolm Butler, Adoree Jackson, Bashaud Breeland, Darqueze Dennard or Kevin King isn't a Packer, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in our FO. CB isn't a position to mess around with. I don't want a rookie starting there.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If we get to the draft and one of Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye, Malcolm Butler, Adoree Jackson, Bashaud Breeland, Darqueze Dennard or Kevin King isn't a Packer, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in our FO. CB isn't a position to mess around with. I don't want a rookie starting there.

We have a lot of faith in our CB room. Jerry Gray does a fine job. Josh and Ka'dar have been making strides. I have the utmost confidence they will get the job done

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jaire worked alright.  As did King, of course he was hurt, per usual.  Damarious Randall was good enough as a rookie as well.  

TBH, as long as all of those listed are still available, I don't want to sign anyone before the draft.  Let's see what happens.  Wouldn't you prefer Samuel Jr, or Newsome Jr, for 2 million over those guys at 4 or 5?

I feel much the same about the DL.  Yes, something will need to be done before August.  But what is the difference between the guys that we can afford now, vs the guys that we will be able to afford after the draft?  

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jaire worked alright.  As did King, of course he was hurt, per usual.  Damarious Randall was good enough as a rookie as well.  

TBH, as long as all of those listed are still available, I don't want to sign anyone before the draft.  Let's see what happens.  Wouldn't you prefer Samuel Jr, or Newsome Jr, for 2 million over those guys at 4 or 5?

I feel much the same about the DL.  Yes, something will need to be done before August.  But what is the difference between the guys that we can afford now, vs the guys that we will be able to afford after the draft?  

I don't know how you can do anything less than a vet CB and a #29 or #62 rookie CB at minimum if you're serious about getting better on that side of the ball. The DL is so screwed I don't have any ideas. Maybe bring in a guy like Pennel and hope to stop the run. Gute had his chance 2 years ago

Edited by cannondale

21 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I don't know how you can do anything less than a vet CB and a #29 or #62 rookie CB at minimum if you're serious about getting better on that side of the ball. The DL is so screwed I don't have any ideas. Maybe bring in a guy like Pennel and hope to stop the run. Gute had his chance 2 years ago

I agree that we are pretty well boned with our defensive line.  I'm no expert, but what I have heard is that this is a poor DL class overall.  I don't know when we should have gone DL in the last couple of drafts, but we really should have been working on the depth in the very least.  We have been running with Clark, Lowry and nobody since Letroy Guion left 3 or 4 years ago.  Later I might look at the hindsight machine to see if we could have done anything there, but it really feels like this was neglected in particular by both TT and Gute.  

I like to think that we can get lucky with a CB that can contribute.  I still have some hope for Ka'dar, and I think Chandon can be good enough as well.  I don't think we are sitting on future stars here, but I think they could be good enough to win with, if the rest of the defense pulls its weight.  I also think that Gray is a good coach that will help the development of these guys.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree that we are pretty well boned with our defensive line.  I'm no expert, but what I have heard is that this is a poor DL class overall.  I don't know when we should have gone DL in the last couple of drafts, but we really should have been working on the depth in the very least.  We have been running with Clark, Lowry and nobody since Letroy Guion left 3 or 4 years ago.  Later I might look at the hindsight machine to see if we could have done anything there, but it really feels like this was neglected in particular by both TT and Gute.  

I like to think that we can get lucky with a CB that can contribute.  I still have some hope for Ka'dar, and I think Chandon can be good enough as well.  I don't think we are sitting on future stars here, but I think they could be good enough to win with, if the rest of the defense pulls its weight.  I also think that Gray is a good coach that will help the development of these guys.  

It kinda stinks Gutey only has taken 2 DL in the past 3 drafts. 1 Being Keke who has been decent, and Looney who was taken in the 7th and converted to TE.. Its definitely showing its dividends where we are now. I hope he drafts like 2 in this draft. Although its still young in Gutes tenure, Ted at least tried for a lot of years, a lot of misses in the first 3 rounds, but some pretty big hits, Raji, Daniels, Clark. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think we're officially at the point where the crazy takes are coming out...

He may be the "cat's meow" to some as a player but I just can't get the last, most important game of the year to have a horrible, horrible showing.  I know it cost him a ton of money, if nothing else I don't mind comes available $49.99 is a good deal.

14 hours ago, Chili said:

No way, surely that can't be legal. 😮

You can't just change a contract which two parties have agreed to. To change anything one side would need to gain permission from the other party.

There's usually auto-language in the contracts that you can restructure the contract so the cash flow isn't any different.

The Packers could have cut Josh Jackson (who is so bad he wasn't even active down the stretch last year) and Oren Burks (who's basically worthless) and saved just over $2.2m. 

In other words, the Packers basically could have bought a proven DB like Justin Coleman or Desmond King (who can also return punts) for the price of simply dropping 2 players who are dead weight on the roster.

Smh.