the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I get it was refereced multiple times.  But I can't see altering the terms of a contract not needing both sides to agree to any alteration.

Rodgers is getting his 2021 base salary.  I don't think now vs over the course of the season really matters to him.  Rodgers may want more flexibility in 2022 on a trade or restructure/ extension situation.

From what I understand almost all contracts are written with that language written into them. That the team can convert roster bonus, etc. into a signing bonus.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I get it was refereced multiple times.  But I can't see altering the terms of a contract not needing both sides to agree to any alteration.

Rodgers is getting his 2021 base salary.  I don't think now vs over the course of the season really matters to him.  Rodgers may want more flexibility in 2022 on a trade or restructure/ extension situation.

I'm pretty sure he's correct. As long as you don't add void years or additional years, you can just do it. I know for sure roster bonuses can convert to signing bonus with no permission from the player, but I'm pretty sure you can convert base salary to signing bonus as well. Believe I remember hearing a cap guy on the radio saying that it's all team determined until you change the dollar amount or the years left on the contract.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's amazing how successful this franchise has been despite being fairly inept at utilizing the free agent market.  Thompson came up short most years in free agency .. Gute struck gold in the market a couple years ago with four quality starters in Z, P, Amos and Turner.  Last year was bargain fill in time and it kind of worked, but not the kind of moves that put you over the top.  There's still some serious help out there, but it doesn't appear that the Packers are willing to take the plunge to improve this roster. 

Aaron Rodgers.

Next years' UFA period is gonna be NUTS!

All these dozens of 1-year deal guys are gonna be there, along with the usual UFA class from the 2018 draft and expiring veteran deals. Supply is gonna be insane, and if cap returns to normal, it'll be a bonanza. 

Shefter's and Rapoport's phones may actually blow up from the tweeting.

Two reasons why we're unlikely to see an Adams extension:

1.] It is not in Adams interest to extend right now. He knows the cap will go up so its in his best interest to wait it out and gain the leverage to secure a bigger bag.

2.] If he has an exit plan with Rodgers then signing an extension would completely destroy that plan. As of now they both can potentially leave Green Bay together at the same time either after the 2021 season or 2022 season (If Adams is franchised tagged).

So the Packers only play is to restructure Rodgers in such a way it doesn't impact the timing of the "parting of ways" as well as limiting the impact on our future cap space. If this turns out to be too difficult to do then there's not a whole lot we can do except make some mid to low level cuts such as Lowry, Jackson, Burks, Scott, Kaufusi, Russell, Hollman, Rush, Nauta.

Cutting all of those guys would create $10,840,000 of cap space but when we move up the next 9 players to form the new 51 highest paid players it leaves us with just $4,900,000 plus our current cap space to play with giving us a total of $8,700,000 and just 53 players on the roster.

The cap hit our draft class made last year was $10,590,000. Obviously Love contract took up a large bulk of it so it potentially suggests trading up in the draft might not be an option for us this year. Am I reading this wrong?

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

1.] It is not in Adams interest to extend right now. He knows the cap will go up so its in his best interest to wait it out and gain the leverage to secure a bigger bag.

2.] If he has an exit plan with Rodgers then signing an extension would completely destroy that plan. As of now they both can potentially leave Green Bay together at the same time either after the 2021 season or 2022 season (If Adams is franchised tagged).

So the Packers only play is to restructure Rodgers in such a way it doesn't impact the timing of the "parting of ways" as well as limiting the impact on our future cap space. If this turns out to be too difficult to do then there's not a whole lot we can do except make some mid to low level cuts such as Lowry, Jackson, Burks, Scott, Kaufusi, Russell, Hollman, Rush, Nauta.

Cutting all of those guys would create $10,840,000 of cap space but when we move up the next 9 players to form the new 51 highest paid players it leaves us with just $4,900,000 plus our current cap space to play with giving us a total of $8,700,000 and just 53 players on the roster.

The cap hit our draft class made last year was $10,590,000. Obviously Love contract took up a large bulk of it so it potentially suggests trading up in the draft might not be an option for us this year. Am I reading this wrong?

The net cap hit for GB rookie pool is around $2.5 -3.0M.

23 minutes ago, Chili said:

Adams worth is not in question. This down cap year has nothing to do with what his total number would be. Just a matter of how to structure it so it's agreeable to both parties. Also, I don't think that exit plan thing is a thing. Athletes don't think that way. They think they will put up numbers regardless

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

We got really unlucky w/ Rodgers max cap hit coming in the worst possible year.

This ^^^^

All ARs career we've been working his money right. We extend him - his contract hits the roof - as was planned - but COVID19 destroys the steady cap progression and puts the entire playing field on "tilt"

Timing couldnt possibly have been worse - and its exacerbated by him being towards the end of his career. So how far do we want to hang with him - at these cost levels (?) - the guy that just won MVP - Ha! 

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

CB options:

Malcolm Butler, Mackensie Alexander. Bashaud Breeland, Gareon Conley, Michael Davis, Darqueze Dennard, Kevin King

Would like to create some space to secure a CB 

Butler is my last hope. Otherwise it's King, or worse, Gute will treat the CB position like he's treated the WR position and basically go with Alexander and a group of day 2-3 draft picks. 

I've been messing around on Spotrac's team roster and salary cap manager.

I cut some mid to low level players and was able to sign these three with some cap space to spare.

Villanueva $4.5m
Dunlap $3.5m
King $2.5m
Ervin $910k (vet min)

Realistic? unrealistic? your thoughts?

Edited by Chili