MLB The Show 21

BayRaider

Haven't played anything but Super Mega Baseball in years. Man this feels hard. I'm just struggling with timing in general - pitching, hitting, even fielding. I'm going with the directional hitting for now so I can just focus on the timing, but I can't get a feel for pitching yet. Pulse and meter pitching seem to be the best mix of being a bit more simple but still having a little challenge, but I don't have the timing down for either one, especially when the timing changes depending on the pitcher's delivery. 

Still having lots of fun; excited to try RTTS later today. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, showtime said:

I would say, if you only play to play offline/against the AI then pick any difficulty you want. But if you actually want to learn the game and be really good online, you should be doing zone hitting. That's the one where you move the PCI on screen manually to get a hit.

Also, it's early, but pinpoint pitching looks like the most accurate way to pitch. It has the least margin for error (assuming you time the pitch correctly). The thing about pinpoint pitching is that it's really difficult.

You need to do zone hitting and zoom camera - it sucks at first but it will help your game out a ton. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, showtime said:

I would say, if you only play to play offline/against the AI then pick any difficulty you want. But if you actually want to learn the game and be really good online, you should be doing zone hitting. That's the one where you move the PCI on screen manually to get a hit.

Also, it's early, but pinpoint pitching looks like the most accurate way to pitch. It has the least margin for error (assuming you time the pitch correctly). The thing about pinpoint pitching is that it's really difficult.

This was years ago when online franchise was still a thing, but I hosted a MLB The Show league, and the amount of people who sat with the hitting box dead center and tried to hit mistakes was crazy.  It was super easy to pitch to them knowing that they wouldn't really move it, and I knew that if I got 2-3 runs that would be all that I needed.  So getting good with zone hitting is what people need to do.  

23 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Nothing more frustrating when you in a hitting slump. I may never hit again lol

I really struggle with the hitting in this game for some reason. I just can't judge the ball to save my life - I'm constantly swinging at **** that's nowhere near the zone. Then when I do actually read the pitch well, my timing is off...

I can pitch OK, though I do think that the AI is a bit wonky still. They take way too many borderline pitches (that end up being a ball) and I just can't get a ton of strikeouts even if I get them to swing at something out of the zone. I think I've thrown like 70 innings in RTTS and I have 30-something K's and like...3 walks. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, Lions017 said:

I really struggle with the hitting in this game for some reason. I just can't judge the ball to save my life - I'm constantly swinging at **** that's nowhere near the zone. Then when I do actually read the pitch well, my timing is off...

I can pitch OK, though I do think that the AI is a bit wonky still. They take way too many borderline pitches (that end up being a ball) and I just can't get a ton of strikeouts even if I get them to swing at something out of the zone. I think I've thrown like 70 innings in RTTS and I have 30-something K's and like...3 walks. 

This has always been my gripe with the game.  It makes RTTS unplayable IMO at times.  I don't have this years because last year I was into the RTTS and had like 150ks to 2 walks and a low BA.  Then they still promote you to the majors in year 2 even being a 35th round pick the year before.  

On 5/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, agarcia34 said:

Nothing more frustrating when you in a hitting slump. I may never hit again lol

Everyone online just throws horrible pitches, not sure if it's the server, them trying to bait, or if they suck at the game. I've noticed that once I get a hit or two the flood gates usually open. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it to where I don't commit 4-5 errors per game. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:17 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

I wanna know why Eovaldi throws hits 50 pitches thrown in the 5th inning for me and he's already depleted in energy. 

No stamina. I nearly won a no hitter 1-0 last night the dude had 20 SO but beat me 2-1 in extra innings. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Everyone online just throws horrible pitches, not sure if it's the server, them trying to bait, or if they suck at the game. I've noticed that once I get a hit or two the flood gates usually open. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it to where I don't commit 4-5 errors per game. 

Yeah online play is about being patient cause people will throw it in the dirt over and over and over if you show that you will chase at bad pitches. Stay patient and force them to pitch inside the strike zone. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Yeah online play is about being patient cause people will throw it in the dirt over and over and over if you show that you will chase at bad pitches. Stay patient and force them to pitch inside the strike zone. 

Yeah, I'd say the majority of people just throw wild pitches for most of the game. The servers being meh doesn't really help either. I want to throw a no-hitter soon, I've gotten close a few times but always give up a weak hit or bunt late in the game. 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:32 AM, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I'd say the majority of people just throw wild pitches for most of the game. The servers being meh doesn't really help either. I want to throw a no-hitter soon, I've gotten close a few times but always give up a weak hit or bunt late in the game. 

I had a no hitter going into the 9th and the servers disconnected me. Another big problem online is the game not giving me time to do the pitching motion, I start with the right joystick and it takes off the box and throws the pitch right down the middle. Super frustrating.