Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

Sounds to me like Jimmy Garoppolo is on his way out, but this was a really stupid move for San Francisco.

John Lynch thinks he’s a big shot who can change the whole team around with one pick but just blew their future for the next 5 years.   

He’s the most overrated GM in football and his days should be numbered.  

This is great for Miami if they can play their cards right.  

I mean, they still retain their first round pick in this year’s draft and get two more in the next 2 years.  

Miami has no excuse at this point.  If they can’t make the playoffs within the next 2 years, they need to fire Flores and Grier right away.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Sounds to me like Jimmy Garoppolo is on his way out, but this was a really stupid move for San Francisco.

John Lynch thinks he’s a big shot who can change the whole team around with one pick but just blew their future for the next 5 years.   

He’s the most overrated GM in football and his days should be numbered.  

This is great for Miami if they can play their cards right.  

I mean, they still retain their first round pick in this year’s draft and get two more in the next 2 years.  

Miami has no excuse at this point.  If they can’t make the playoffs within the next 2 years, they need to fire Flores and Grier right away.  

L-O-L if you think Lynch was the one behind this move. Shanahan runs the team far more than Lynch and when it comes to offensive players, he makes ALL the decisions. 

I don't know why you think this is a stupid move. Have you seen the roster and the amount of big contracts they have? And then add in Warner/Bosa who will get record breaking deals soon? How do you think a team can keep all those players without a QB on a rookie deal?

Jimmy is going to be on his way out, but doesn't mean he will be out this offseason. Could it happen? Sure, but they probably roll him out and make another run at a SB with a stacked roster and then hand over the reigns to the rookie QB next season. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I really wanted them to be bold. Jimmy is a competent starter and the coaching staff is good, chance are reasonable we won't be picking this high often.

This is the 5th time in 6 years the Niners are picking in the top 10 and the 3rd time in the top 5. They've shown they're plenty capable of picking this high consistently.

8 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

My probably wrong prediction 

1. Jaguars - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. 49ers - Lance

4. Broncos - Fields (trade up)

5. Panthers - Jones (trade up)

That leaves the Pats as the odd man out. Cue a trade for Jimmy. I'll guess a 2021 2nd or a 2022 1st & probably a reworked deal that ties the Pats & Jimmy together for 2-3 years.

I can't believe that anyone is trading up to 4 to get the fourth-best quarterback, let alone QB5. I am stunned that teams are trading up for quarterbacks at all in what is a pretty garbage quarterback class beyond Trevor Lawrence. This looks a lot like the 2011 draft all over again to me.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Traits are getting overrated here. Pick the best player (or the guy you think will turn out to be the best). Rookie Cam had better traits than rookie Brady or rookie Brees.

Cam Newton would be drafted over Tom Brady and Drew Brees every single time unless you know for a fact that the latter two would be better. And nobody knows that going into the draft.

There are so many factors that go into a player's success that teams just can't control. Drafting a player with great physical tools is one way to mitigate the bust factor. Where teams get in trouble is ignoring other red flags in the evaluation process because they fall in love with the tools or "count it twice" on the workout circuit.

29 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Worst part about all this is, even though we know that at least 3 QBs are going in the top 3...

They are still going to take all the time on the clock to make their picks

Gotta make the advertisers happy and get all the ads in!

26 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Just imagine if the Niners select Mac, he goes on to be very successful, while Fields becomes a middling or even a bust. Would that be worse than the consensus missing on Rosen vs Allen?

I mean, Rosen wasn't that great of a prospect anyways. That QB class blew and five guys still went in the first round.

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

...this was a really stupid move for San Francisco. 

1. Move up to #3 and take Fields/Wilson;
2. Move up to #9 and take Mac Jones; or,
3. Sit and hope Jones falls to the 49ers at #12.

He made my least favorite of these options but, like New England, the closest thing the 49ers have to a glaring weakness is their QB.

This is great for Miami if they can play their cards right.

Agreed, but they, too, made a mature choice:  to cash out of the Penei parade.  Again, not my choice but an entirely reasonable one.

Miami has no excuse at this point.

As it is, that O-Line in front of that young QB does little to inspire confidence.  We note that Buffalo is excellent and both the Jets and Pats will have made quantum leaps in preseason.

47 minutes ago, Blue said:

This is the 5th time in 6 years the Niners are picking in the top 10 and the 3rd time in the top 5. They've shown they're plenty capable of picking this high consistently.

I can't believe that anyone is trading up to 4 to get the fourth-best quarterback, let alone QB5. I am stunned that teams are trading up for quarterbacks at all in what is a pretty garbage quarterback class beyond Trevor Lawrence. This looks a lot like the 2011 draft all over again to me.

Cam Newton would be drafted over Tom Brady and Drew Brees every single time unless you know for a fact that the latter two would be better. And nobody knows that going into the draft.

There are so many factors that go into a player's success that teams just can't control. Drafting a player with great physical tools is one way to mitigate the bust factor. Where teams get in trouble is ignoring other red flags in the evaluation process because they fall in love with the tools or "count it twice" on the workout circuit.

Gotta make the advertisers happy and get all the ads in!

It literally took the team having one of the worst injury prone seasons ever for them to draft at #12. The roster is nowhere close to what it was back in 2017 and 2018. So yeah, I mean if you bank on this team continuing to be hit with the injury bug, it is possible they would draft this high again. But more likely they are picking in the 20s, even with Jimmy at QB. 

I mean the QB class may prove to be terrible and could cost a lot of GMs/coaches their jobs. That's certainly possible. Only time will tell there. But for the Niners, unless they could get someone like Watson, they had to go the rookie route. The team has way too many big contracts and upcoming contracts to give out. It is not sustainable with a good/average QB making over 25M a year. You get a QB with a rookie controlled contract for the next five years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yea, this ^^^ for sure 

That's exactly what I was thinking 

Other than Lawrence (and tbh I'm partial to Wilson too, I just think he's going to be good)

I dont like the other guys

Lance hasn't played enough 

Fields I don't think he has the accuracy , maybe like a faster Jameis

Mac Jones...

C'mon

Any decent QB prospect would have done the same thing at Alabama

But that's just me

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It literally took the team having one of the worst injury prone seasons ever for them to draft at #12. The roster is nowhere close to what it was back in 2017 and 2018. So yeah, I mean if you bank on this team continuing to be hit with the injury bug, it is possible they would draft this high again. But more likely they are picking in the 20s, even with Jimmy at QB.

Look, I think Shanahan is a good coach. But when you've gone 16-32 in three seasons and 13-3 in the other, it's pretty obvious which one was the fluky season.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Not when Jimmy is healthy. You're banking on an injury

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The quote you were commenting on was literally saying that it would take an injury to have them pick that high again

Ah yes, one injury is the reason San Francisco has been picking in the top 10 5 of the last 6 years, even though Jimmy has only been there for 4.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Look, I think Shanahan is a good coach. But when you've gone 16-32 in three seasons and 13-3 in the other, it's pretty obvious which one was the fluky season.

Lol, they also took over the worst roster in the league in 2017. You are comparing that roster to THIS roster? 

Fluke? Nah, that roster was legitimately stacked as it gets. This roster the team will field out will be very good as well. I will say this, they have been in the bottom 5 in terms of injury luck for like seven consecutive seasons so it is possible they have another season like 2020 and finish with a top 12 or so pick. But if healthy with Shanny coaching this team? And when I say healthy, I mean just decent health....No chance. 

• Like 1