Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How many rookie QBs come in and make their team a legit contender in their first season? 

If the 49ers don't make the playoffs/contend in the next 2 seasons, Lynch and Shanahan are likely gone. 

Not many teams have a nice cushion already put in place like they do. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

FWIW Michael Lombardi thinks Mac Jones will be the pick at #3.

Best news I've heard all day. 

Mac Jones definitely the leader in the clubhouse for the various media guys. I won't understand it if that's the case, but shanny will likely maximize that for sure, so it is what it is. I just can't help but feel that Mac is not a guy I'd want to pay big money to at any point. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

You dont pick the QB with no outstanding traits at 3. Just don't believe Mac is the move here. I still have serious doubts he goes top 10.

Yea if you're giving up that much capital it's usually for a QB prospect your FO believes has some otherwise unobtainable qualities or combination of traits relative to said team's typical draft position.

Traits are getting overrated here. Pick the best player (or the guy you think will turn out to be the best). Rookie Cam had better traits than rookie Brady or rookie Brees. Three of the best tight ends in recent history (Gronk, Kelce, Kittle) had worse traits as prospects than Eric Ebron or Vernon Davis. 

Sure, you can’t coach Mac Jones to sling it like Rodgers or elude rushers like Lamar. You can, to an extent, coach Lance or Fields to become more cerebral, more accurate QBs. So that’s the disconnect right there. But don’t overthink it. 

If Shanahan thinks Mac is going to be a better player than Lance or Fields, and also that there’s a chance Mac gets taken at or around pick 3 (prior to the trade), then there’s no reason not to take him. How stupid would it be to not take the player you view as the best, because he doesn’t have rare physical tools? 

EDIT: And that’s not really a comment on Mac Jones or the other guys. Or who I think the pick will be (I have no idea). But the “elite traits” thing is how you draft Ryan Tannehill and ignore Russell Wilson.

Edited by Yin-Yang

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Mac Jones is a third rounder to me, I’d be shocked if he becomes a Top 16 QB. I honestly don’t even think he’ll be a starter after a few years. 

If we're getting buzz that he could be pick number 3, he's absolutely going in the top 15. He wouldn't make it past us at 15, but I think he'll be gone by then. I agree with you on the summation of him as a player (never a top 15 talent), but QB thirst is the most thirsty thirst. 4 in top 10, 5 in top 13 I say. 

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Traits are getting overrated here. Pick the best player (or the guy you think will turn out to be the best). Rookie Cam had better traits than rookie Brady or rookie Brees. Three of the best tight ends in recent history (Gronk, Kelce, Kittle) had worse traits as prospects than Eric Ebron or Vernon Davis. 

Sure, you can’t coach Mac Jones to sling it like Rodgers or elude rushers like Lamar. You can, to an extent, coach Lance or Fields to become more cerebral, more accurate QBs. So that’s the disconnect right there. But don’t overthink it. 

If Shanahan thinks Mac is going to be a better player than Lance or Fields, and also that there’s a chance Mac gets taken at or around pick 3 (prior to the trade), then there’s no reason not to take him. How stupid would it be to not take the player you view as the best, because he doesn’t have rare physical tools? 

EDIT: And that’s not really a comment on Mac Jones or the other guys. Or who I think the pick will be (I have no idea). But the “elite traits” thing is how you draft Ryan Tannehill and ignore Russell Wilson.

That's not a good example. Russell Wilson fell because it was a time when teams thought QBs shorter than 6'0" couldn't succeed. Wilson had better traits than Tannehill. I would say a better example is how you draft Mike Vick and pass over Drew Brees. But frankly, it was totally understandable to draft Vick at the time. Regardless, I fully expect Shanahan will take the guy he likes the best. He's not known to lack confidence.

But I would have a good laugh that the 49ers traded three firsts and a third for a guy who really doesn't seem very impressive. Maybe that comes back to bite me. Still, though, giving up all that for a 6'2" QB with underwhelming mobility, middling arm strength, and questionable composure under pressure would be quite shocking considering the other options. And it's not like Jones proved himself under circumstances mirroring the NFL.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But I would have a good laugh that the 49ers traded three firsts and a third for a guy who really doesn't seem very impressive. Maybe that comes back to bite me. Still, though, giving up all that for a 6'2" QB with underwhelming mobility, middling arm strength, and questionable composure under pressure would be quite shocking considering the other options. And it's not like Jones proved himself under circumstances mirroring the NFL.

It is based exactly on that why I can't believe they will pick Jones. It's whichever one is left out of Wilson and Fields. Possibly Lance. Mac is still getting 2nd round mocks (he won't be 2nd round)

If there has been some kind of leak, it's a disinformation tactic. Gotta be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's not a good example. Russell Wilson fell because it was a time when teams thought QBs shorter than 6'0" couldn't succeed. Wilson had better traits than Tannehill. I would say a better example is how you draft Mike Vick and pass over Drew Brees. But frankly, it was totally understandable to draft Vick at the time. Regardless, I fully expect Shanahan will take the guy he likes the best. He's not known to lack confidence.

I’d call size a trait. I mean, if you’d say Auburn-Cam had elite size for a QB, then you’d say Russ had awful height for a QB at the time, right? And if that’s why his stock fell so much (I distinctly remember plenty saying if he were 6’4, he’d be a first rounder) then that pretty much fits exactly what I’m saying.

Don’t have much to say regarding what Jones brings to the table vs the other guys. Watched even less CFB than usual this year. Just saying that if Shanahan likes Mac Jones the most and didn’t believe he’d be there after or around pick 3, then there’s no reason not to take him (from Shanny’s POV). Passing on who you view as the best player because of physical traits, especially at the QB position, is silly. It’s pretty much exactly went down with Russ (“I like him a lot, but he’s short”). 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

I’d call size a trait. I mean, if you’d say Auburn-Cam had elite size for a QB, then you’d say Russ had awful height for a QB at the time, right? And if that’s why his stock fell so much (I distinctly remember plenty saying if he were 6’4, he’d be a first rounder) then that pretty much fits exactly what I’m saying.

Don’t have much to say regarding what Jones brings to the table vs the other guys. Watched even less CFB than usual this year. Just saying that if Shanahan likes Mac Jones the most and didn’t believe he’d be there after or around pick 3, then there’s no reason not to take him (from Shanny’s POV). Passing on who you view as the best player because of physical traits, especially at the QB position, is silly. It’s pretty much exactly went down with Russ (“I like him a lot, but he’s short”). 

I mean, yeah, sure, size is a trait. But Russell was better in basically every other area than Tannehill. If a carbon copy of Russell Wilson were available in the 2020 NFL Draft, he'd have been a top 5 pick. So no, I don't think it does fit what you're saying. There's a difference between overall traits and NFL teams having certain thresholds. I've pushed back against the arbitrary thresholds, but traits definitely matter.

Regardless, as I said, I fully expect Shanahan to take his guy. But I think Justin Fields is a better prospect than Mac Jones, and I'll breathe a major sigh of relief if the 49ers pass on Fields for Jones.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Best news I've heard all day. 

Mac Jones definitely the leader in the clubhouse for the various media guys. I won't understand it if that's the case, but shanny will likely maximize that for sure, so it is what it is. I just can't help but feel that Mac is not a guy I'd want to pay big money to at any point. 

Even though he's physically limited?

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I mean, yeah, sure, size is a trait. But Russell was better in basically every other area than Tannehill. If a carbon copy of Russell Wilson were available in the 2020 NFL Draft, he'd have been a top 5 pick. So no, I don't think it does fit what you're saying. There's a difference between overall traits and NFL teams having certain thresholds. I've pushed back against the arbitrary thresholds, but traits definitely matter.

If Tannehill and Russ switched sizes as prospects (6’4, 220 -> 5’11, 205), their draft positions would’ve been flipped (almost definitely even more so). So if we can agree that size is a trait, then yeah, that’s exactly an example of what I’m saying. Russ, who most agreed had good quarterbacking ability, falling lower than said ability exhibited, is pretty much what I said first: “traits are getting overrated”. Meanwhile, you have Tannehill with ideal size and ideal mobility, rolled up into the “just think of the potential” narrative, and that’s exactly how he got drafted as high as he did. Miami fell in love with the physical traits and the potential instead of looking at who the better QB was (I know this is hindsight, you can probably use Allen/Rosen as a reverse example of this point).

Russ dropped because of his height (a trait). Tannehill got drafted highly because of his physical traits (his size/mobility significantly, in that sense) and the idea that he can be molded into having most of the nuance that Russ already had. That’s the gist of the point. I dunno if that’s the situation with Mac vs Lance/Fields, but that’s why I was heavily leaning on Shanahan’s rankings - traits or no traits.

Edited by Yin-Yang