Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

Really don't like this move from San Francisco.

They were hitting on virtually all of their draft picks and got to the Super Bowl with Jimmy.  Keep hitting on draft picks and take a shot on a later round developmental QB (2nd round), hope they develop and can be a good backup, keep building up that defensive line (meaning keep it strong with depth) and keep building that defense.

I still for the life of me do not understand how people don't see it's defense that wins Super Bowls. 

Tom Brady is always considered the GOAT (and rightly so, he's made sacrifices financially for his legacy), but...

His defense has given up 20.4 points per playoff game.

For comparison:

Brady - 20.4
Manning - 21.4
Brees - 25.2
Rodgers - 27.4

Even if you're Brees/Rodgers good, you're not winning multiple Super Bowls if your defense is giving up 24 points per postseason game. 

It works the other way, too.  If you've got a comparatively **** QB and elite postseason defense, you're also winning Super Bowls. 

Exhibit E for Eli:

18.8 points per game.

Eli Manning has more Super Bowl wins than Aaron Rodgers.  This is why. 

Years Brady got to the Super Bowl - 18.8 points per game. 

Like am I the only one who gets it?  There has not been ONE SINGLE OUTLIER OF A QB WINNING THE SUPER BOWL WITH HIS TEAM GIVING UP OVER 24 POINTS PER POSTSEASON GAME.

The greats?  Montana had two years where he won where his defense didn't even give up 7.1 points per game.  7 points per game and 6.3 points per game. 

Buccaneers - 19.5
Chiefs - 22.7
Patriots - 20.7
Eagles - 16.6
Patriots - 18.0
Broncos - 14.6
Patriots - 18.3
Seahawks - 13.3
Ravens - 18.0
Giants - 14.0
Packers - 19.0
Saints - 19.6
Steelers - 19.6
Giants - 16.3
Colts - 12.8
Steelers - 15.5
Patriots - 17.0
Patriots - 19.0
Buccaneers - 12.3
Patriots - 15.6
Ravens - 5.7
Rams - 19.6
Broncos - 10.6
Broncos 16.3
Packers - 16.0
Cowboys - 18.3
Niners - 18.3
Cowboys - 17.0
Cowboys - 15.7
Redskins - 13.7
Giants - 11.7
Niners - 15
Niners - 7
Redskins - 12.3
Giants - 7.7
Bears - 3.3
Niners - 6.3
Raiders - 11.0
Redskins - 10.3
Niners - 24
Raiders - 12.5
Steelers - 13.0
Steelers - 12.3
Cowboys - 7.7
Raiders - 14.0
Steelers - 12.3
Steelers - 9.0
Dolphins - 8.7
Dolphins - 10.3
Cowboys - 5.3
Colts - 10.0
Chiefs - 4.3
Jets - 12.3
Packers - 10.3
Packers - 18.5

Now that I have had this rant, I realize Jimmy G. is not good enough.  Defense gave up 20.3 points in that postseason and he couldn't make it work.  He keeps that defense off the field a little longer against the Chiefs and scores one more TD and he's a Super Bowl champion. 

Carry on, San Francisco.  Just had to get in the obligatory Outpost Defense Wins Championships post. 

• Like 5

RE: Niners potentially drafting Jones & keeping Jimmy G. Could this be a smokescreen aimed at BB? Its saying "we'll take your (potentially) top rated rookie QB available at 3 AND we'll hold onto your top rated veteran option who's potentially available (so, no Watson/Wilson)" 

To me, it seems like they're trying to create value for a Jimmy G trade back to NE.

I just don't think that the Niners would keep this locked down for weeks and then all of a sudden everyone knows who they're drafting. Also, last year Chris Simms knew that Shanny LOVED Brandon Aiyuk but didn't leak that to the media. So why would he leak that the Niners want Jones?

Edited by 49ersfan

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Yes, Frank Gore, still starting games at running back at 37, definitely represents the average player and not the exception.

3 knee injuries in college so if it was a thing then he would have it.

Its not, yet people still blather.

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

RE: Niners potentially drafting Jones & keeping Jimmy G. Could this be a smokescreen aimed at BB? Its saying "we'll take your (potentially) top rated rookie QB available at 3 AND we'll hold onto your top rated veteran option who's potentially available (so, no Watson/Wilson)" 

To me, it seems like they're trying to create value for a Jimmy G trade back to NE.

I just don't think that the Niners would keep this locked down for weeks and then all of a sudden everyone knows who they're drafting. Also, last year Chris Simms knew that Shanny LOVED Brandon Aiyuk but didn't leak that to the media. So why would he leak that the Niners want Jones?

Simms also said he has not talked to Kyle about the QBs in the draft. Everything he's talking about is what he knows Kyle likes. My guess there's probably 2 people who know what QB Kyle wants probably John and Daddy Shanahan.

11 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If Tannehill and Russ switched sizes as prospects (6’4, 220 -> 5’11, 205), their draft positions would’ve been flipped (almost definitely even more so). So if we can agree that size is a trait, then yeah, that’s exactly an example of what I’m saying. Russ, who most agreed had good quarterbacking ability, falling lower than said ability exhibited, is pretty much what I said first: “traits are getting overrated”. Meanwhile, you have Tannehill with ideal size and ideal mobility, rolled up into the “just think of the potential” narrative, and that’s exactly how he got drafted as high as he did. Miami fell in love with the physical traits and the potential instead of looking at who the better QB was (I know this is hindsight, you can probably use Allen/Rosen as a reverse example of this point).

Russ dropped because of his height (a trait). Tannehill got drafted highly because of his physical traits (his size/mobility significantly, in that sense) and the idea that he can be molded into having most of the nuance that Russ already had. That’s the gist of the point. I dunno if that’s the situation with Mac vs Lance/Fields, but that’s why I was heavily leaning on Shanahan’s rankings - traits or no traits.

It's not remotely the situation with Mac and the other QBs. It's not even comparable. Russell Wilson dropped because he fell below an arbitrary NFL threshold on ONE trait. He was better than Tannehill in every other trait. It's so far off the mark that it's misguided to try and make the comparison. The lesson to learn with Wilson is that arbitrary thresholds are stupid/overrated, not traits.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

There’s absolutely no way you get a first round pick for Jimmy, so I see no reason this would be the case. The Patriots have zero incentive to trade for Jimmy until after they find out who falls to them. If you want to take Mac Jones, that just means another QB potentially falls to them. And if they don’t like who is there, they can take the next day to work out a second rounder or whatever for Jimmy. 

Just now, pwny said:

There’s absolutely no way you get a first round pick for Jimmy, so I see no reason this would be the case. The Patriots have zero incentive to trade for Jimmy until after they find out who falls to them. If you want to take Mac Jones, that just means another QB potentially falls to them. And if they don’t like who is there, they can take the next day to work out a second rounder or whatever for Jimmy. 

I think if they want a first round pick, they have to keep him, start him all year. He has to be healthy and have a good season (at least comparable to the one in 2019). Then I see a first round pick as an option in a trade. I think it's highly unlikely (not completely impossible, if only because I've seen what Ryan Pace is capable of and there's no reason to not go Yolo with a future first if he's not going to be there if he can't get something going regardless) that they are getting a first as of right now. His value has never been lower. The only real leverage they have is that they don't have to trade him. 

• Like 1

I think I get it now:  (using mostly Eagles since I followed them so closely)

Donovan McNabb was injury prone in 2002, 2005, and 2006

• The rest of his career was actually his twin who is not injury prone.

Randall Cunningham was injury prone in 1991 and 1993.

• The rest of his career he used a spare body that was more sturdy and not injury prone

Carson Wentz was injury prone in 2017 (but not until week 13) and again in 2018.

• Then he was not injury prone for 16 games in 2019, but injury prone in the playoff game
    • Or Clowney just nailed him with a cheap shot. Its hard to say when we are being delusional
  • Then not injury prone again in 2020
  • I think we can say for certainty that he may or may not get an injury in 2021

Drew Brees was injury prone in 2005, 2019, and 2020

• But not so much the rest of his career?
  • Maybe its like Shingles? 

Peyton Manning avoided being injury prone until 2011

• Then he got injury prone but it was like dirt bike parts.
    • His neck was rated for about 60 games until the warranty wore off
    • So he was incredible for 3 years while not exactly injury prone
      • Then he got injured so of course he was injury prone the whole time?

I mean its clear that Nick Foles is injury prone, right?

• Lets get real, he did not play in 16 games in 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018
    • Oh wait... backup, backup, benched, backup, backup, backup
      • So he played every snap required in all 6 of those years outside of one concussion.
        • We are talking missing 70 of about 1070 snaps making him injury prone?
  • Mercilus crushed him as he fell sideways (2014)
  • Then Chris Jones crushed him as he had his arm up high launching a TD bomb (2019)
  • So the hip/groin injury as the Chicago QB while he again got nailed? Does that now make him injury prone?
  • Is every concussion a sign of being injury prone? or just Foles?
  • Are Rodgers 2 collarbones a sign of injury prone, or just Foles?
    • Do we have to divide collarbone injuries by snaps, or hits, or 'serious hits' or something else?
      • Is this like QBR for clowns with pretend medical degrees?
  • So he played in 26 consecutive games from 2015-2018 without injury
    • and he played 16 consecutive complete games between the concussion in 2013 and the collarbone in 2014
    • but some really unimaginative people don't see some 16s on his stats page, so he's injury prone?

So in a blood sport that's like a series of car crashes if a guy gets 4 or 5 bad hits and misses games then its because he's really not man enough? Is that the theory?

Even the human IR assignment, DeSean Jackson, has played in 14+ games in 8 of 13 years (11+ in 10 of 13)

• Does he forget to pay his Injury Prone Union dues some years so he does not always qualify?
Edited by SkippyX

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think if they want a first round pick, they have to keep him, start him all year. He has to be healthy and have a good season (at least comparable to the one in 2019). Then I see a first round pick as an option in a trade. I think it's highly unlikely (not completely impossible, if only because I've seen what Ryan Pace is capable of and there's no reason to not go Yolo with a future first if he's not going to be there if he can't get something going regardless) that they are getting a first as of right now. His value has never been lower. The only real leverage they have is that they don't have to trade him. 

I should have added some qualifiers. *this season *from New England *unless they trade back on draft day after seeing no QB available at 15 and get desperate. 

The Bears, maybe. But I don’t think they ever viewed any of the 5 QBs slipping to 20 as a real possibility, so the smoke doesn’t really do anything.