Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Who is the starter at 3T?  This is my problem.  we gave guaranteed money to players but none of the are starters.  

Jefferson was a full time starter his last two years in Seattle which runs a very similar scheme to what we'll use and had 6.5 sacks. 

Philon was a full time starter for Bradley in LA the last time he was on the field and had 8.5 sacks in the two years he played under GB. 

Irving was a full time starter in Dallas the last time he was actually on the field and had 7 sacks in 8 games. 

Thomas was a starter at DE for the 49ers early in his career but was often hurt and was playing out of position. 

You let those 4 along with Hurst battle in camp for the starting role. You don't necessarily need one of them to be dominant if 2/3 of them can be effective it will improve our interior pass rush a ton. 

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Steelers red zone offense was almost identical to ours in terms of production. 

Steelers: 33 TD in 52 red zone visits

Raiders: 32 TD in 59 red zone visits 

Pitt is a bad example.  Hard to be a good redzone team when you have the worst run game in the league.  

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Pit was 8th in RZ efficiency (TD only) and we were ranked 23rd.  That is a massive difference.  

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/team-stats/offense

They had 33 TD in 52 red zone visits and we had 32 TD in 59 red zone visits. So they got to the red zone less frequently then we did and scored 1 more TD. 

On the season our offense averaged 383 ypg and 27.1 ppg, their offense averaged 334 ypg and 26.0 ppg. 

The primary reason they were a 12-4 team and we were an 8-8 team is because they had a great defense and we had a terrible defense. 

Their defense never gave up 30+ points during a single game last season, they ranked 3rd in both yards allowed and scoring defense, they were 1st in sacks, and 2nd in turnovers generated. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson was a full time starter his last two years in Seattle which runs a very similar scheme to what we'll use and had 6.5 sacks. 

Philon was a full time starter for Bradley in LA the last time he was on the field and had 8.5 sacks in the two years he played under GB. 

Irving was a full time starter in Dallas the last time he was actually on the field and had 7 sacks in 8 games. 

Thomas was a starter at DE for the 49ers early in his career but was often hurt and was playing out of position. 

You let those 4 along with Hurst battle in camp for the starting role. You don't necessarily need one of them to be dominant if 2/3 of them can be effective it will improve our interior pass rush a ton. 

That is exactly my point.  We have 1 guy that was good 2 years ago, 2 guys that were good 3 years ago, and 2 guys that never lived up to expectations .  We have 5 guys and are hoping 1 turns out to be good in this scheme.  I know this is extreme because we spent a lot on YN but when we signed him there was no question where he was playing or if he was starting.  You can not sort our 5 3Ts with any certainty other than we gave guaranteed money to 2 of them.  If we gave all of the small contracts without guaranteed money I would cross my fingers also and hope we used the money wisely to fill other holes.  They were stupid business decisions.  If you had to bet who was going to get the most snaps at 3T this year out of those 5 you would needs some high upside odds to feel good about betting.  Like I said  Jefferson seems like the best right now but he struggled last year and is not a starting quality player until he proves otherwise.  3T is just as scrambled as WR right now.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But @Frankie2Gunz said the reason they have a good red zone offense is because of their big WR. 

They were ranked 8th and we were ranked 23rd.  That is a huge difference no matter how you slice it and as @drfrey13points out they did that with no run game and a QB in big ben that has clearly regressed.  

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But @Frankie2Gunz said the reason they have a good red zone offense is because of their big WR. 

Imagine you have a hall of fame secondary but 3rd string Dline.  Are you going to have a good red zone defense or even a good defense in general?  You need balance.  I would be fine if we signed Alshon Jefferies and only used him in the red zone.

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

They were ranked 8th and we were ranked 23rd.  That is a huge difference no matter how you slice it and as @drfrey13points out they did that with no run game and a QB in big ben that has clearly regressed.  

They scored 1 more red zone TD than us, their efficiency is better because they got there 7 times less than we did. They ranked 16th in red zone TD's scored and we ranked 18th. 

59 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Yannick is a good addition and for the price one of the best in the league this year.  The only drawback is it was not a big position of need.  At the beginning of FA we all knew that the biggest needs were FS and DT.  Heath and Hurst were the only 2 players at those positions and we still have not added a starter to either position and you could argue that they (Hurst at 3T) are still the best players at those positions.  We are not the only team signing players to short term contracts.  In fact most signings have been short term contracts which I said they would be before FA began.  You are right that our defense will not get us to the playoffs because we have done very little to make it better.  Until we sign a starting level FS and 3T we are going to suck on defense.

I know FS and DT are big needs as well, but I still had DE as a major need. 

Bradley rushes 4 a ton. 

We were bottom 5 in total sacks. 
I cant see our pressures being much better. 
Interior rush was def needed, dont get me wrong, but I was a major believer DE was a major need. 

I also beleive, Yannick is a better DE than vs any DT at DT or FS at FS available (if you follow me there ha)
IE, If leonard williams hit market, he would have been my go to target. but he wasnt. 
Yannick is a much better DE than say Malik Hooker at FS, in my mind both positions are massivly needed, so we went with better player. 

18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That is exactly my point.  We have 1 guy that was good 2 years ago, 2 guys that were good 3 years ago, and 2 guys that never lived up to expectations .  We have 5 guys and are hoping 1 turns out to be good in this scheme.  I know this is extreme because we spent a lot on YN but when we signed him there was no question where he was playing or if he was starting.  You can not sort our 5 3Ts with any certainty other than we gave guaranteed money to 2 of them.  If we gave all of the small contracts without guaranteed money I would cross my fingers also and hope we used the money wisely to fill other holes.  They were stupid business decisions.  If you had to bet who was going to get the most snaps at 3T this year out of those 5 you would needs some high upside odds to feel good about betting.  Like I said  Jefferson seems like the best right now but he struggled last year and is not a starting quality player until he proves otherwise.  3T is just as scrambled as WR right now.

Jefferson's cap hit is $3.25M, Thomas cap hit is $2.8M, Irving's cap hit is $1M, and Philon signed a vet minimum deal. Thomas, Irving, and Philon can also play DE if needed and have played there in the past. 

Jefferson had 3.5 sacks last year in a rotational role for the Bills so how did he struggle last year? He was also a starter his last two seasons in Seattle and was a solid player plus he's only 27. 

There wasn't a premier, high level starting 3T on the free agency market this off-season. The draft is also lacking in terms of quality DT prospects. 

Not sure how WR is scrambled right now. We have Waller who is our #1 receiving target, Renfrow as one of the more reliable slot guys in the league, we just signed John Brown who is a similar but better player than Agholor, we just drafted Ruggs/Edwards early last year, and we brought in Snead who's a quality depth option. 

Our fanbase is so quick to write guys off, it's hilarious. Alshon Jeffery and Kenny Golloday both had meh rookie seasons and broke out as 2nd year players. Tyreek Hill and Brandin Cooks both had meh rookie seasons and broke out as 2nd year players. 

48 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I know FS and DT are big needs as well, but I still had DE as a major need. 

Bradley rushes 4 a ton. 

We were bottom 5 in total sacks. 
I cant see our pressures being much better. 
Interior rush was def needed, dont get me wrong, but I was a major believer DE was a major need. 

I also beleive, Yannick is a better DE than vs any DT at DT or FS at FS available (if you follow me there ha)
IE, If leonard williams hit market, he would have been my go to target. but he wasnt. 
Yannick is a much better DE than say Malik Hooker at FS, in my mind both positions are massivly needed, so we went with better player. 

I am fine with the YN signing and think it was a great deal.  We can disagree about relative improvement with signings because there is no way of proving it but relative need you just have to compare Crosby as a starter to Heath and Hurst.  Hurst is the weakest starter followed by Heath.  Neither are starters or should be.  Heath is a good 3rd S spot starter and Hurst is a backup sub-package 3T.  Crosby is not a complete DE but is an above average starter in some areas of his game.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson's cap hit is $3.25M, Thomas cap hit is $2.8M, Irving's cap hit is $1M, and Philon signed a vet minimum deal. Thomas, Irving, and Philon can also play DE if needed and have played there in the past. 

Jefferson had 3.5 sacks last year in a rotational role for the Bills so how did he struggle last year? He was also a starter his last two seasons in Seattle and was a solid player plus he's only 27. 

There wasn't a premier, high level starting 3T on the free agency market this off-season. The draft is also lacking in terms of quality DT prospects. 

Not sure how WR is scrambled right now. We have Waller who is our #1 receiving target, Renfrow as one of the more reliable slot guys in the league, we just signed John Brown who is a similar but better player than Agholor, we just drafted Ruggs/Edwards early last year, and we brought in Snead who's a quality depth option. 

Our fanbase is so quick to write guys off, it's hilarious. Alshon Jeffery and Kenny Golloday both had meh rookie seasons and broke out as 2nd year players. Tyreek Hill and Brandin Cooks both had meh rookie seasons and broke out as 2nd year players. 

How many times do I have to say this.  We have 5 part time players and no starter at 3T.  I am not mad we signed so many.  I am mad that we gave guaranteed money to 2 of them.  When and if we found a starting caliber player then give him guaranteed money.  Otherwise why lock yourself into players you are not sure will play to the level of deserving to make the team.  Thomas is the worst one.  He has done almost nothing in his career and you give him an almost 100% guaranteed contract.  You can not tell me with any certainty who will be the starting 3T or who will be the starting WRs.  Waller is our starting TE.  We need to eliminate uncertainty as much as possible instead of signing as many people as possible and hoping one works out.  If we would not have given Thomas and Jefferson guaranteed money and we had the opportunity to sign Reed we could admit our mistake and move in the direction we feel is best without losing anything.  Now we are in a situation that we will probably not even try to sign an above average starting 3T that would really help the team because of guaranteed money given to other players that are no where near as good.  We gave guaranteed money to question mark players.  We need to stop hoping and make smart decisions.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:06 PM, drfrey13 said:

I understand that but I do not waste my time right now with positions we do not need.  Competition is good but right now our focus should be Reed, Hooker, and Schwartz or at least those positions.  Those 3 speed WRs are going to be good decoys because once Carr knows we can not protect him he will start throwing short of the first down while the defense stacks the box to stop out RBs.  Meanwhile our defense will give up 2 scores and after that the other team will just run the ball and wear down the defense so that we give up another 3 scores in the 4th and our offense has had 5-8 3 and outs.

Typical raider game, you nailed it.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If the Snead contract is small enough that it just bumps a player off the bottom of the 51 and has little affect on our cap then it is a good depth signing.  If it wastes cap space we could use on areas of need I do not like the signing.  I am think they probably gave him a few million so I see this move as a waste of time and capital.

Yeah that’s my take. This can’t cost us more than 2 million