Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Reed wasn't even on the trade block or a potential cap causality until a couple of days ago when they signed Hyder and decided to bring back Dunlap. 

They had to decide how to allocate their money and he was the odd man out.  He was a cap casualty but not because he wanted more money.  He was scheduled to make $13 million and 5 was a signing bonus already paid.  Could have extended him for 3 years $25 million.  I understand that this is a new situation but the point being we spent money locking us into players that are not guaranteed starters.  They are hopefully one of them works out players and just in cast lets add 3 other players.  When players are not a sure thing you should give them very little guaranteed money.  Their contract are 83% guaranteed.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I just said how you change the DT position.  Do not sign 4 hopeful players and combine the money to sign 1 solid starter.  Then sign so upside minimum players.  Reed, Irving, and Hurst is plenty and you have a high floor and high ceiling while improving the team.  Reed is better than Jefferson and Thomas combined and would cost close to the same and maybe a couple million more but you would have the DT spot locked up.

When we dont sign a fs or cb in the first 10 days of FA Gruden and Mayock get/got blasted on this forum. I would love to see what the reaction to inactivity on the D-line would have been. I mean dont sign anybody in the hopes a guy like Reed gets cut. Bold strategy.

18 minutes ago, Roninho said:

When we dont sign a fs or cb in the first 10 days of FA Gruden and Mayock get/got blasted on this forum. I would love to see what the reaction to inactivity on the D-line would have been. I mean dont sign anybody in the hopes a guy like Reed gets cut. Bold strategy.

You can sign players early but do not lock yourself into them.  Why does Solomon Thomas deserve an almost 100% guaranteed contract and Jefferson got 60% of his guaranteed.  All that does is make you less likely to add to the position without upgrading the position without any certainty.  I am not complaining about Irving's contract.  If Irving and Thomas play to the same level you get rid of Irving because you are locked into Thomas.  All of our DTs with the exception of Hankins should be getting minimal guarantees.  I am fine giving Thomas a 1 yr minimum deal with the ability to earn a lot more in incentives.  Jefferson could get a better deal because I think he is the closest thing to a starter we have.  As far as signing guys in the first 10 days I have no opinion.  I do like hearing rumors that we are looking at these players or meeting with them because it shows me the team realizes it has deficiencies in these areas.  If the team is fine going into the season with Heath starting at FS, a group of underachieving 3Ts, 1 NT, no slot CB, and Parker starting at RT or Simpson starting at G I will probably not watch much football this year.  The team is being very patient or lacks direction.  I hope it is the first one but the last few years have led me to think that Gruden is not a leader of this franchise.  Time will tell.  

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And to be honest, guys might not improve, and we could suck. But good teams are built through the draft so we just have to hope that our young guys improve. I saw something recently that highlighted that teams who spend big in free agency rarely ever build a winning team. 

Because most good players, especially at premier positions such as defensive linemen, corners, and safeties never hit free agency. They're either tagged/resigned by their current team or traded for massive hauls of picks. 

No matter which way you slice it you have to let the players you invested in develop by playing. 

Edited by Jeremy408

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And by the way, keep this up and you're getting an official warning.

Wtf is going on here?  In “real life” I meet fellow Raiders fans and end up chatting for a bit then being welcomed into their homes to catch a game together.... quite regularly. 

Now the last thing I am is so lefty wanting an utopian society.... but GD! “same freggin team”.  The level of nastiness that exists when someone has a different viewpoint on here is ridiculous.

there’s a handful of guys on here that constantly.... constantly think it’d okay to talk reckless and be disrespectful.

obviously, I’ve been pulled into a few bickering matches but I’ve always tried to be respectful up until I feel I’ve been disrespected..... I say that cuz I’m self aware that I’m not “innocent”.

You have a ****ty job as moderator to have to deal with all the BS.  It’s once a week that some fight breaks out.  Idk why you even keep the job.  

this board’s “quality” is crumbling IMO. And not because there isn’t law and order from the moderator. You go out of your way to give people the rope to hang themselves.  Every single “regular” needs to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.... all beefs become squashed and if anyone acts up after it’s an instant albeit short suspension.  3 suspensions and your Gone.  Zero tolerance policy for disrespectful behavior.  

Also, the little clicks that exist on this board is getting to be ridiculous.  That needs to be stomped out too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I prefer Hooker to Boston but I would be fine with that also.

Gruden tore the Hooker pick in the draft.  Pick for need, too many injuries and can't tackle or play physical is what he said.   Doubt we'd go for him

Edited by OnlyGlove