Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

31 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes, the net cost against the cap is 137k.

So what I've picked up on with John Gruden strategy when it comes to offensive skill positions is that he goes after players that he thinks have either been underutilized or misused. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Never thought a Willie Snead signing would cause a 22 page thread lol 

I keep seeing these 20 page threads and it baffles me.  Some of these signings are so insignificant and we are just arguing and arguing about each and every one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

So what I've picked up on with John Gruden strategy when it comes to offensive skill positions is that he goes after players that he thinks have either been underutilized or misused. 

And who offer specific roles. Snead is pretty average overall, but good at 2 things: being a reliable chain mover + he is known for being a good blocker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roninho said:

And who offer specific roles. Snead is pretty average overall, but good at 2 things: being a reliable chain mover + he is known for being a good blocker. 

He also breaks a decent amount of tackles and can make contested catches. I think he is a pretty decent WR ( a solid 3 on most teams) so to have him as a depth piece is very good.

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is a steal for a receiver of Snead's caliber.

I'm really perplexed 🤔 we're signing very team friendly deals like this one which is great value then we're giving large percentages of guaranteed money to Thomas, then we're throwing money away like it's nobodies business on guys like James and eating 13mil on Hudson........ I have no idea what our fiscal strategy is 😁😁

25 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm really perplexed 🤔 we're signing very team friendly deals like this one which is great value then we're giving large percentages of guaranteed money to Thomas, then we're throwing money away like it's nobodies business on guys like James and eating 13mil on Hudson........ I have no idea what our fiscal strategy is 😁😁

The fiscal strategy is to stop spending 50M on a pro bowl C, an average guard, and a fat slob of a RT.

19 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Deals like this one happen because the opportunity arises. It's possible they could have signed Thomas for the same kind of contract now but they felt a more pressing need in signing him and gave him a better offer to close the deal. I'm not a huge fan of the Thomas' signing and would have been fine waiting for his price to come down or letting him get that money from someone else.

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Deals like this one happen because the opportunity arises. It's possible they could have signed Thomas for the same kind of contract now but they felt a more pressing need in signing him and gave him a better offer to close the deal. I'm not a huge fan of the Thomas' signing and would have been fine waiting for his price to come down or letting him get that money from someone else.

I really, really liked Thomas coming out (but as a pass rushing DT) so even though I'm surprised at the amount if guarantee I think on this occasion it may be worth the risk. Just some deals we seem to be making are very nice and really good value whilst others we seem to be vastly overpaying for guys who I probably wouldn't say are in very high demand..... Strange