Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I am fine with the YN signing and think it was a great deal.  We can disagree about relative improvement with signings because there is no way of proving it but relative need you just have to compare Crosby as a starter to Heath and Hurst.  Hurst is the weakest starter followed by Heath.  Neither are starters or should be.  Heath is a good 3rd S spot starter and Hurst is a backup sub-package 3T.  Crosby is not a complete DE but is an above average starter in some areas of his game.

yea that is definitely a fair point. 
I actually dont mind what we did at DT, bring it a bunch of potential players and hope one of them hits. I think Hurst is decent as a rotational peice but agree he shouldnt be given a starting role. 

No idea what our plan is at safety, but I think we are taking one early. Seems to be Gus Bradleys go to 1st pick wiht a new team. 

45 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

No idea what our plan is at safety, but I think we are taking one early. Seems to be Gus Bradleys go to 1st pick wiht a new team. 

We definitely wanted one of the top safeties we were reportedly interested in Marcus Williams, Marcus Maye, and Justin Simmons but they all got franchise tagged. Pretty similar to what happened in free agency last year, I think the plan was to sign Byron Jones and then draft a LB at #19 like Queen or Murray. But then we missed on Jones, signed Littleton, and drafted Arnette. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

The thing about Snead this is obviously going to benefit from being in conventional offense with a pocket passer. Gives us really good depth at worst.

Yeah... that’s what I was trying to say.  He came here for a reason: he’s been held back in Baltimore and looking to get into an offense where he can shine.  He saw what Carr did for Nelly. He’s looking to put up a good year and re-hit FA next year

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah... that’s what I was trying to say.  He came here for a reason: he’s been held back in Baltimore and looking to get into an offense where he can shine.  He saw what Carr did for Nelly. He’s looking to put up a good year and re-hit FA next year

Yeah Snead was good in New Orleans and way more productive in Baltimore with Flacco. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

yea that is definitely a fair point. 
I actually dont mind what we did at DT, bring it a bunch of potential players and hope one of them hits. I think Hurst is decent as a rotational peice but agree he shouldnt be given a starting role. 

I do not mind it either but it is how they structured the contracts.  Unless they think Jefferson and Thomas are locks to make the team there should be very little guaranteed.  Them getting guaranteed money makes you less flexible to move in a different direction if it does not work out.  I am happy with the Irving contract.  Hurst will probably not make the team since he is scheduled to make $2.25 million with 80k guaranteed.  If Hurst and Thomas are neck and neck at the end of camp you cut Hurst even though Thomas makes more because cutting Hurst saves you money and Thomas does not.  My issue is the guaranteed money.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

What top tier 3T's were available in free agency? 

Okay. Here we go again. I am not angry that we did not sign or trade for a top tier 3T.  My issue is giving guaranteed money to 2 players we are not sure are better then the 3 other players we have at the position.  I am not even sure Thomas is good enough to make the team and we gave him a 100% guaranteed contract.  If there is no one out there you see as a starter and you are going to just sign a bunch of bodies then you keep the guarantees at a minimum so you can keep the best guys or you can trade or sign a starting caliber player if they become available.  There is not a quota of guaranteed money we have to give out.  Jefferson is the most likely to start but none of them are sure fire locks to make the team if you go off of play and I doubt we keep all 5.

As far as what I would have done was tried to sign guys with little to no guaranteed money.  If Jefferson and Thomas walk I still have Irving and Hurst.  Now that Reed is available I would go after him and try to sign him for $8 or less.  If I can not find a starter in FA I see if I can get a DT in the draft.  I would want a NT and 3T.  If it does not work out I sign some bodies and us the spaghetti approach the same way Gruden and Mayock did but I do not do it in the 2nd week of FA.  I still try to have minimal guaranteed money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not mind it either but it is how they structured the contracts.  Unless they think Jefferson and Thomas are locks to make the team there should be very little guaranteed.  Them getting guaranteed money makes you less flexible to move in a different direction if it does not work out.  I am happy with the Irving contract.  Hurst will probably not make the team since he is scheduled to make $2.25 million with 80k guaranteed.  If Hurst and Thomas are neck and neck at the end of camp you cut Hurst even though Thomas makes more because cutting Hurst saves you money and Thomas does not.  My issue is the guaranteed money.

I definitely think that both are locks to make the team, especially because Thomas can play up and down the DL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I definitely think that both are locks to make the team, especially because Thomas can play up and down the DL. 

I do not think they are locks based on play but that would explain the difference in opinions on the contracts.  Time will tell.

43 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Okay. Here we go again. I am not angry that we did not sign or trade for a top tier 3T.  My issue is giving guaranteed money to 2 players we are not sure are better then the 3 other players we have at the position.  I am not even sure Thomas is good enough to make the team and we gave him a 100% guaranteed contract.  If there is no one out there you see as a starter and you are going to just sign a bunch of bodies then you keep the guarantees at a minimum so you can keep the best guys or you can trade or sign a starting caliber player if they become available.  There is not a quota of guaranteed money we have to give out.  Jefferson is the most likely to start but none of them are sure fire locks to make the team if you go off of play and I doubt we keep all 5.

As far as what I would have done was tried to sign guys with little to no guaranteed money.  If Jefferson and Thomas walk I still have Irving and Hurst.  Now that Reed is available I would go after him and try to sign him for $8 or less.  If I can not find a starter in FA I see if I can get a DT in the draft.  I would want a NT and 3T.  If it does not work out I sign some bodies and us the spaghetti approach the same way Gruden and Mayock did but I do not do it in the 2nd week of FA.  I still try to have minimal guaranteed money.

Obviously your right about trying to give veterans like Thomas and Jefferson little to no guaranteed money but from a practical stand point no FA signing in the first few days or week of FA is going to take a deal that doesn’t at least have a partial year one guaranteed compensation.  Later in FA players will be willing to do that but not in the first week or so.  
I think we did a pretty good job of limiting the guaranteed money for these deals.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Obviously your right about trying to give veterans like Thomas and Jefferson little to no guaranteed money but from a practical stand point no FA signing in the first few days or week of FA is going to take a deal that doesn’t at least have a partial year one guaranteed compensation.  Later in FA players will be willing to do that but not in the first week or so.  
I think we did a pretty good job of limiting the guaranteed money for these deals.

For some of the deals we did but someone like Thomas who has done nothing and gets 100% guaranteed is a bad deal.  Jefferson is a little bit better but after last year I would not have offered him that.  Does not hurt to let the players know you are interested and give them an offer.  If they do not except maybe they will want to come back later.  You always have to be able to walk away from a deal and if we were not going after Tomlinson there was little need to sign a rotational 3T.  If it was someone you see as a starter and really want to go after them then give them what their value is.  Thomas and Jefferson are the types you sign when they are desperate and you save your capital to see if something good comes along.  I want them to go after areas of need asap but that does not mean you make bad deals.  If you heard we contacted Tomlinson and offered $8 and he choose to go to Minni still for $10.5 then I at least you know they are looking.  Signing rotational guys to guaranteed contracts makes me think they have found their guys are going the cheap route which is fine but the defense is not going to improve enough.  If they are not sure if they are starters then they should have never given the guarantees and should have been patient.  From my point of view they look desperate and had a poor plan going in.  Now they can pivot and pull this out to make me look like an overreactive idiot but for right now they do not look good and have made questionable decisions for a couple years.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:45 PM, NYRaider said:

We put up 71 points in our two games against the Chiefs and easily could've beaten them twice. But us losing Hudson guarantees that we're a 6 win team. 

Pish posh.  I completely disagree with this.  Blasphemy.