3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

5 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

As the one confirms the other, stats and tape are everything.

We weren't asked to compare Mac Jones with Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson so we can leave that for another thread.

Oh cool, now tape matters. Maybe we will get somewhere eventually 

1 minute ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

They do, but we aren't talking about drafting Smith or Waddle at #3.  I'm sure no one is suggesting that the QB has nothing to do with YAC.

No, but I am suggesting that tossing the ball over to the two best receivers in the game will definitely inflate those stats you keep flaunting

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But that aint Jimmy either and that's been his QB for the last 3 years. Jimmy's feet are awful though quick. 

Footwork can be taught and tied to scheme if repped enough. People said the same thing about guys like Watson and Herbert. That's not a game changer imo.

Jimmy also has some of the most god awful pocket awareness in the league. 

I agree on the footwork. I'm really starting to lean Lance as the favorite and that's in part why. A lot of the stuff with Lance can actually be developed. Will his accuracy ever be great? Probably not...but it sure as hell can get cleaned up mechanically. And if they make that move....whoa baby, that's a pair on those two. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He can throw it just fine. He doesn't have a cannon. Joe Burrow can't throw either and he was the first pick overall last year lol.  Lance has a cannon and spotty accuracy. Which is more valuable? I don't want to knock Mac more than I have to. I mean, there are some things that I hope that Kyle is seeing. Like this: 

This is what scares me about Lance. You know where I sit on this; Fields is my guy. Fields doesn’t have issues with arm strength or accuracy and can also sit a year and learn some of this other stuff. To me Mac seems like he’s not far off his ceiling, which is really concerning considering what we gave up. That video is also super concerning. 

Edited by GW21
Forgot Lance’s name.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adamq said:

No, but I am suggesting that tossing the ball over to the two best receivers in the game will definitely inflate those stats you keep flaunting

Do you think the 49er receivers are worse than college ones?  And that receivers make QBs look good rather than the other way around?

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

This is what scares me about Lance. You know where I sit on this; Fields is my guy. Fields doesn’t have issues with arm strength or accuracy and can also sit a year and learn some of this other stuff. To me Mac seems like he’s not far off his ceiling, which is really concerning considering what we gave up. That video is also super concerning. 

Here is the hilarious part though...that was just my interpretation...

Here is someone else's lol

Like, I don't get fields at all from that, but apparently Javi does lol. To me the person it screams is Lance. 

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

Do you think the 49er receivers are worse than college ones?  And that receivers make QBs look good rather than the other way around?

I think both of those receivers will be drafted higher than both Deebo and Aiyuk. Metchie very well could too tbh. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Here is the hilarious part though...that was just my interpretation...

Here is someone else's lol

Like, I don't get fields at all from that, but apparently Javi does lol. To me the person it screams is Lance. 

I can definitely see Lance and that’s who I said that tweet was trying to get you to land on, but I think a case could be made for Fields as well. I haven’t really been thinking about Wilson to this point as he seems pretty locked in, but I could definitely see him with that as well. 

4 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

And that receivers make QBs look good rather than the other way around?

When it comes to YAC, yeah. Especially when such a high percentage of throws are behind the LOS

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think both of those receivers will be drafted higher than both Deebo and Aiyuk. Metchie very well could too tbh. 

And George Kittle? 

Mac Jones will have plenty of quick-off-the-mark and sure-handed pass catchers in San Francisco.  We'll see who Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith end up with in the NFL.  If it's neither Mac Jones nor Tom Brady...

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

And George Kittle? 

Mac Jones will have plenty of quick-off-the-mark and sure-handed pass catchers in San Francisco.  We'll see who Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith end up with in the NFL.  If it's neither Mac Jones nor Tom Brady...

I dont understand why you keep bringing up the 49ers weapons. That has nothing to do with Jones' inflated stats

1 minute ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

And George Kittle? 

George is awesome and I’m 100% sure both of those guys will be drafted before Kittle was. ;) 

But seriously dude. You are comparing a prospect with some serious questions to the best QB in NFL history (sorry Joe, it was hard for me to say). That’s like comparing a hockey prospect to Wayne Gretzky or a Basketball prospect to MJ. Just absolutely insane. So much has to go right for those guys to have the careers they’ve had.

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

1. Lance

2. Mac

3. Fields

And frankly, I don't think Fields would be all that close to the other 2. 

Based off the media reports, thats my guess too. 

Lance is the shoot for the stars pick. Mac is the safe pick. Maybe they made the decision, maybe they're still discussing, who knows

Just now, adamq said:

I dont understand why you keep bringing up the 49ers weapons. That has nothing to do with Jones' inflated stats

Some are implying that Mac Jones succeeds solely or almost solely because of the talent around him in Alabama, the most talented team in college.  We are talking about him going to the 49ers, the most talented team in the NFL, where the caliber of receivers will rise, not fall.  WTP?

• Like 1