3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

"Play it cool" - Scranganello to Fields at his 2nd pro day 

That part to me is kind of irrelevant. Pretty sure he was referring to the actual hug since Scangarello knew all the cameras were there and people were going to eat up any type of reaction. 

And while Scangarello is going to be a big factor in the decision, I don't think Shanny/Lynch are going to tell him the pick ahead of time....At least not three weeks in advance of the actual draft. 

48 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If you don't think success at the NCAA level is an [albeit rough] indicator of NFL success try mapping failure.  How do your charts look when you track the 3rd best, the 20th best, or the 111th best college player?

Oh, and the inability to hit moving targets in flight, as suggested in stats and confirmed on tape, is a trait.  That is what stats do.  They inform review, distinguishing anomaly from trend.

Corgi on a Merry Go Round | Corgi, Puppies gif, Outside dogs

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

YIKES

Make that 2 YIKES. I knew it was not good, but this is appalling. If he were to improve 10%, which is pretty rare for a QB, he would still be just 54%. That's is not good at all. If people are projecting him improving by a lot, which he would have to in order to be picked 3rd, why aren't people projecting Fields to improve his feet, or to learn to get rid of the ball faster? Seems like those things are more easily learned than improving your accuracy by 20 percentage points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

No one, including the Mac naysayers, are disputing that he won't come here and succeed. Hell, Shanny almost had noodle arm Nick Mullens sneak us into playoff contention. 

Almost any QB in this draft slated to go in the first two rounds could come in and guide this team to a playoff birth at minimum. There has been no better situation for a rookie QB to come into and have the resources and talent around him to succeed immediately that my NFL fandom can recall. 

The problem with Mac and his selection is that it speaks to being tied to a certain level of success. A certain type of success. Mac isn't the type of talent to overcome the shortcomings around him. At no point in his college career did he get on a field and the talent disparity wasn't largely pro Bama. Maybe in 2019 versus Burrow/LSU you could say it was about even. But he's come to the table with the appetizer, dinner salad, sides, main course w/all the fixins and desert, all neatly and precisely laid out for him. All he's had to do is eat. 

The parity in the NFL guarantees that will probably never be the case going foward. Playing under Shanny will definitely get you a coupon for a free appetizer. But you will have to prepare your own meals. And sometimes you may not have sides or a dessert. Sometimes you have to be the chef. And I don't believe there are enough ingredients in his kitchen to make a decent meal when the other cooks aren't around.

The fact that it has been reported that we were going to push hard for Watson makes me believe that Shanny wants more from his offense in its current state. If that is the case, Fields is clearly the best option, followed by Lance. If he is content with a decent upgrade on the status quo then it overwhelming favors Mac. 

I wouldn't be so dead set against Mac if Shanny's previous eval at the position weren't so troubling. Trading up for CJ and thinking Mullens and Beathard were good enough to never entertain the thought of elevating the talent in our QB room gives me pause when trusting his decision making here. I'm praying our scouts/personnel ppl are making a case for him to broaden his scope.

Yes, all this! Being just OK is what kills a franchise. You're always close, maybe getting to the playoffs and knocked out early. But you're never getting to that pinnacle where it would take a real upset to keep you from winning it all. In the meantime you keep hanging on hoping for one more boost of improvement in your QB, and picking low in the draft. I'd rather take a guy who has a chance to be top 5 even knowing he might bust. If we turn out to be bad then we see that we are not getting there with this guy a whole lot sooner. And, we are earning high picks which allow us to simply start over again.

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Better get my brown paper bag ready....

I actually appreciate what Silver said here. So much better than the other crap that everyone keeps repeating. 

That though is something he got someone from the Niners organization for sure. 

Still it will be Lance or Fields lol. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He'll be fine. 

The idea of paying Mac Jones 45 million a season in 5 years is absolutely hilarious though 

But I wonder if Shanny just continues going after QBs on rookie deals and never gives another QB a second deal lol. 

Eventually though agents are going to be ticked and may not want their QB going to SF. 

Schrager keeps saying that he doesn't think a decision has been made yet....I bet that changes by this weekend.

I don't disagree btw, I don't think a decision was made six weeks ago and if that is true, then no way a decision was made before they watched Lance in person back on Monday. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But I wonder if Shanny just continues going after QBs on rookie deals and never gives another QB a second deal lol. 

Eventually though agents are going to be ticked and may not want their QB going to SF. 

I doubt he would do it. I've advocated for it before, but if thats the case, paying what we paid to get Mac is even more questionable. Mac could be Jared Goff / Jimmy G and we will pay him a crap ton of money just because that's how it works. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Schrager keeps saying that he doesn't think a decision has been made yet....I bet that changes by this weekend.

I don't disagree btw, I don't think a decision was made six weeks ago and if that is true, then no way a decision was made before they watched Lance in person back on Monday. 

Everyone that is even remotely reliable, particularly with regards to the 49ers (which is kind of a big deal) says Mac. It sounds so crazy, but what can you do? There are people who really like Mac Jones. I don't see it. I think he's okay, but others really, really like him.

16 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

And by this "logic" the stats he produces in the NFL will be similarly "inflated" because the talent there is even better.

Until recently when the game changed and passing became predominant Chad Pennington was the all time NFL leader in completion percentage (I think he's still right up there). He's a great comparison for what you're talking about - weak-armed QB who compensated for his weak arm by throwing lots of quick short passes. Helped make his stats look good, but didn't do much to help his teams become great. 

You really should read this article, and try to understand it. Out of the top 5 QBs Jones came in 5th in "Most On Target" when weighted for difficulty of throw and taking into account the kind of throws NFL QBs need to be able to make.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2021/02/24/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-fields-accuracy/

• Like 1